Old October 2nd 08, 08:47 AM posted to rec.radio.swap

Default Rig Identification

"Brenda Ann" wrote in message

"Juan" wrote in message
I picked this up with some other junk at a yard sale. Can anyone ID it?

I put pics of it on my hosting site.

http://radact.mysite.com/sale_page.html

It's a signal generator, with crystal markers for calibration, to be used
for alignment of television RF and IF stages.

Thanks much Brenda. Your answer was very professional. Just like a tech
would answer.

Old October 2nd 08, 04:27 PM posted to rec.radio.swap

http://radact.mysite.com/sale_page.html

It's a signal generator, with crystal markers for calibration, to be

used
for alignment of television RF and IF stages.

Thanks much Brenda. Your answer was very professional. Just like a tech
would answer.

Where should she send the bill?

I would qualify the above with the word "vintage" in your sales brochure.
http://cgi.ebay.ca/VINTAGE-RCA-TELEV... QcmdZViewItem

RF and IF alignments and mechanical tuners were rendered obsolete by
monolithic filters and synthesized tuning. Convergence alignments are the
last true skill of the purist, but largely neglected by manufacturers as few
consumers are purists.

Old October 2nd 08, 04:44 PM posted to rec.radio.swap

On Thu, 02 Oct 2008 15:27:28 GMT, "JB" wrote:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/VINTAGE-RCA-TELEV... QcmdZViewItem

.... Convergence alignments are the last true skill of the purist, but largely neglected by manufacturers as few
consumers are purists.

But this generator doesn't offer gun control. Anyway, convergence alignment is
very simple -- at RCA, we fully automated the procedure in 1978.

-- Tom
Old October 2nd 08, 06:33 PM posted to rec.radio.swap

wrote in message
On Thu, 02 Oct 2008 15:27:28 GMT, "JB" wrote:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/VINTAGE-RCA-TELEV...0QQitemZ200238

088905QQihZ010QQcategoryZ97199QQcmdZViewItem

.... Convergence alignments are the last true skill of the purist, but

largely neglected by manufacturers as few
consumers are purists.

But this generator doesn't offer gun control. Anyway, convergence

alignment is
very simple -- at RCA, we fully automated the procedure in 1978.

-- Tom

http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/rca_wr_...alibrator.html Found this
sheet. Says first sold 1951 for $243
long before color TV and LSI. Oddly, they were often found in schools well
into the 80s to teach the basics of the trade, even though current
technology was way beyond (how do you calibrate with something less stable
and accurate than the UUT).

Generator with gun control? I don't believe in Gun Control. You would have
to put razor wire all around the US, declare all the civilians "incompetent
criminals" in order to abide with the Constitution, and even then the really
BAD people would still have guns till the end of time, if only for
infotainment purposes and shock value. There would be a rise in wild and
stray protected animals killing hikers and pedestrians. But we digress.

I went to a FM/AM service monitor. Performs all the functions required, but
with stability and accuracy well beyond. Also combines several other test
capabilities such as scope, spectrum analyzer and signal level display,
although conversion from dbm is required.

Convergence alignments are made more or less simple by the CRT technology.
RCA XL100 was a great line. I did Zenith (Works in drawer until you slide
it back into place, Quality goes out before the name goes on). After that,
Cheap was the name of the game. Sylvania, and others were difficult to
achieve convergence (to my standard) due to oversimplification. Gun
controls were removed except for drive and bias, and the alignments were
left to the tube manufacturer and mechanical ring magnets. Shipping would
often goof up your good work. I would go through showroom after showroom of
various makes and models and be completely disappointed and wind up buying
from Kmart and set about to fine tuning the purity and convergence. Now we
have all the HD big screen technology, but all the potential customers are
trained for disposability by $8/hr pimple faced floor sales people.