Old September 17th 03, 05:00 PM
Ric

Amen brother. I have the same issue i left home years ago.. thanks to
echolink i can still talk to my dad . and old friends back home. over the
local simplex or repeater freq as before.
"Ed Cregger" wrote in message
The wife and I, both hams, use Echolink for staying in touch with friends
from our old home area. Like many people today, we had to move for
employment reasons.

It is nice to be able to give my callsign and to know that it is going out
over the old "local" six meter repeater that I used to frequent in New
Jersey (we now live in Georgia). I have the opportunity to talk with

friends
via radio as I used to do when I lived in Jersey.

It is also nice to be able to chat via Echolink computer-to-computer. Some
of my friends in the Delaware Valley do not yet have HF privileges. Our
conversations would have to be via telephone, were it not for Echolink.
Tapping the space bar to talk leads to the same type of conversations we
would have via amateur radio simplex. To me, Echolink has been a blessing.

I am 57 years old.

Ed Cregger

"MD" wrote in message
.. .

"Ric" wrote in message
Are you confused... echolink is a voice over ip program which has over

the
air links users as well as computer users just the same. why is it so

hard
for olders hams to accept change

Ric,

This same arguement has been going on with our local hams for quite some
time. My personal opinion, and my opinion only is this. I got into

radio
for the fascination of being able to speak into a microphone and someone
halfway around the world answering me. To me slapping on a headset and
hitting the space bar when I want to talk just doesn't seem like radio.

live in a very restricted antenna neighbourhood but I will not let

echolink
take the place of my ham radio enjoyment. For those who have no choice,

it
may be the only way for them to enjoy the hobby. If more hams jump on

the
Echolink bandwagon and use the internet to communicate than the

airwaves,
my
feeling is it will only spell disaster for the ham fraternity.

Now if Kenwood could cleverly disquise a computer as a small tabletop

radio,
and Heil made a headset to match, heck I might even be fooled into

thinking
it was radio.

73, de VE3TMT

Old September 17th 03, 05:03 PM
Ric

again amen brother. Echolink has provided a great service to ham radio
....think of this . when cw of hf no longer does the job. pick up your dtmf
mic dial in you node number talk to home no matter where you are.
seem to me alot of hams have their own little groups anyway.and in most
cases new people are not welcome.
"Larry" wrote in message
It's very interesting to see the emotion instead of solid logic. Ham radio
has several elements which draw people. One is the technical side of the
hobby and another is the talking side. Japan and their rice box radios has
brought to the surface the talking side. If you listen, you'll hear tons

of
QSO and people just talking their heads off. It really doesn't matter much
if it is on a rice box or on a computer for those people .. yet you hear

the
emotional responses about saving the bands etc .. YUK!

I live in a close neighborhood where 200 watts gets into telephones and
computer speakers and still some TV's and I gotta hang antennas everywhere
and make my house look like it's caught in a spider web. Now there BPL and
solar flare issues and the bands are terrible .. they suck. There's deed
restrictions, lawyers, PRB1, the ARRL the FCC. I can't talk 10 miles from
here on 75!

Then there Echolink. It won't do much for the technical side but unless

you
have used it a few times you couldn't possibly understand how nice it is

sit back, relax, and talk to your buddies without the jerks throwing
carriers and hog calls and pork butt songs, static crashes, dead bands,
contests, no antennas, no QRMers, no RFI ,, just hours of pleasant

chatting
with hams all over the world. I have met so many nice guys and had a lot

of
fun with the LINK and to those who want to fight it .. go ahead. When all
you can get from your radio is buzz pop click and your neighbor standing

on
your doorstep screaming for you to get off the radio .. feed your computer
sound card with a D104 and give Echolink a try.

I love ham radio but Echolink is a nice supplement.

"MD" wrote in message
.. .

"g3zhi" wrote in message
There are now over 132,000 callsigns registered in 139 different

countries.

There are daily additions, changes and deletions with over 1,000 new

calls
validated each week.

We might as well kiss our frequency allocations goodbye.
If we don't use them, were going to lose them.

Old September 17th 03, 05:05 PM
Ric

dale its a case of out with the old in with the new. and the older fist
pounding ham don't like it. , just like the big fights when no code techs
came about.you don't know how many i have heard run of a no code tech from
the freq they use.and only by the older hams that are die hard cw fist
pounding users.
wrote in message
Just curious, why the hard sell on echolink?

Dale, K9VUJ

Old September 17th 03, 05:10 PM
Ric

i hear you there .. but lets look at it this way. the advancement of the
hobbies is all apart of this huge flame fest.

"David" wrote in message
I seems all the Echolinkers are missing the point. They complain about all
the things that make Ham radio interesting. Don't get me wrong, I like
computers. I am an Information system manager, but that's not radio. I

guess
everybody to their own.....I just can't see the point of talking on a
computer. I would get just as much out of talking on a cell phone or a
wireless phone in the house.....whatever floats your boat?????
"MD" wrote in message
.. .

Old September 17th 03, 05:14 PM
Ric

ohh btw let the flaming begin .. over such a simple matter.if you don't
like echolink or irlp. then stay on hf and wait for the next band opening.
or for bpl to be approved so you can't hear anyway.
"MD" wrote in message
.. .

Old September 18th 03, 12:54 AM
Zoran Brlecic

Ric wrote:
again amen brother. Echolink has provided a great service to ham radio
...think of this . when cw of hf no longer does the job. pick up your dtmf
mic dial in you node number talk to home no matter where you are.

There's already a gizmo that does this. It's called a cellphone.

--

Anti-spam measu look me up on qrz.com if you need to reply directly

Old September 18th 03, 01:06 AM
Caveat Lector

And when the power and internet is down (the big Bang) scratch cellphoneys
and echo de Link
Back to HF and CW (you can operate off of battery power can't you ???)
But cellphoneys and echo de Link have their place.

--
73 From The Signal In The Noise
Caveat Lector Ya All

Old September 18th 03, 01:05 PM
MD

Yep and i bet the FCC thinks it's great too. That's why BPL will happen
and the ham radio as we know it, or knew it will be gone forever, not
only from the BPL noise but from.... well just plain lack of interest.

Enjoy echolink!!! Someday we'll ponder the good old days of ham radio
and wish we had it back.

Dale, K9VUJ

I couldn't have said it better Dale. Radio is radio, EchoLink is NOT radio.
It might be connected to a radio, but IT is not radio.

Old September 18th 03, 02:04 PM

When one moves into a new home where the HOA's tell you not to put up
your ham antennas what else is there?

I am moving into such a situation. Echo link will be my way to keep in
touch with my friends from where I came.

Paul Vanasse wrote:

"Ric" wrote in message
Are you confused... echolink is a voice over ip program which has over the
air links users as well as computer users just the same. why is it so hard
for olders hams to accept change

Perhaps because the Echolink system has absolutely NOTHING to do with radio
propagation. I guess the next thing you'll be stating is that using the
telephone also qualifies as a category under the radio hobby.

Sorry, not this boy. You can take your Echolink system and put it right on
the shelf next to the CB radio.