Old September 18th 03, 03:35 PM
Ric

yep at a cost to the consumer can you afford to pick up your cell phone an
call your friend in god knows where and talk all day ...i don't know any
cell co. that offer unlimited time on your phone.

"Zoran Brlecic" wrote in message
Ric wrote:
again amen brother. Echolink has provided a great service to ham radio
...think of this . when cw of hf no longer does the job. pick up your

dtmf
mic dial in you node number talk to home no matter where you are.

There's already a gizmo that does this. It's called a cellphone.

--

Anti-spam measu look me up on qrz.com if you need to reply directly

Old September 18th 03, 03:37 PM
Ric

if i lose power i have a battery backup for my computer ....As for the hf
and cw. well good luck qrp'ing with no power to run your amp.
"Caveat Lector" wrote in message
And when the power and internet is down (the big Bang) scratch

cellphoneys
and echo de Link
Back to HF and CW (you can operate off of battery power can't you ???)
But cellphoneys and echo de Link have their place.

--
73 From The Signal In The Noise
Caveat Lector Ya All

Old September 18th 03, 04:04 PM
Caveat Lector

With a yagi at 60 feet and my 100 Watt radio powered by a bank of deep cycle
marine batteries or a gas powered generator -- you will hear me.

That by the way is what Field Day is all about.

As for your computer battery backup -- you will probably get out of the
house into dead web.

Old September 18th 03, 04:32 PM
Caveat Lector

Well right now Hurricane Isabel has caused thousands to be without power in
the region.
Wonder how many are "getting out" with cellphones and on the internet ????

Old September 18th 03, 05:23 PM
Caveat Lector

"Amateur Radio is the only fail safe communication system in the world."
Walter Cronkite, KB2GSD

Old September 19th 03, 03:00 AM
James Nipper

Exactly what does echolink and the internet have to do with ham radio ?

Yes, most of the users of echolink may be hams, but they are using the
internet to communicate, not ham radio. I am sure that is fun to some
folks, but it is far removed from ham radio !!

As I type this message, I am using the internet. Many hams will see this
message. But I AIN'T Hamming !!!!!!!!

Just my opinion............. no flames please !!

73 de Jim K4PYT

Old September 19th 03, 05:02 AM
Zoran Brlecic

Ric wrote:
yep at a cost to the consumer can you afford to pick up your cell phone an
call your friend in god knows where and talk all day ...i don't know any
cell co. that offer unlimited time on your phone.

again amen brother. Echolink has provided a great service to ham radio
...think of this . when cw of hf no longer does the job. pick up your
dtmf mic dial in you node number talk to home no matter where you are.

There's already a gizmo that does this. It's called a cellphone.

Top posting makes no sense. Especially in groups that use bottom posting
as a rule.

As far as the cost of "calling your friend" is concerned, let me repeat
what I already said: feel free to switch to chat rooms which are free of
charge, and even use Echolink if you want. Just don't pretend that you
are operating an amateur radio station because you're not.

The fact that the digital packets originating from a PC are being
transmitted over the limited links that use amateur radio frequencies,
does not automatically make one a ham radio operator. This whole thing
smacks of a virtual ham radio run on a simulator.

Exclusive Echolink users should just abandon any ham radio pretense and
form their own Internet "Radio" organizations with their own callsigns,
contests, awards etc. Who knows, if the BPL goes through, maybe the rest
of us will join sooner than we think.

73 ..... WA7AA

--

Anti-spam measu look me up on qrz.com if you need to reply directly

Old September 19th 03, 10:37 AM

In article ,
"Ric" wrote:

well you should listen to amateur radio news line bpl was denied by the fcc

I checked and saw nothing from the FCC. I did see the Amsat joined the
ARRL in condeming the damn stuff, but nothing from FCC. Could you be
more specific, perhaps I looked at the wrong newsline issue. Anyway I
hope it's true, we sure don't need that crap.

73
Dale, K9VUJ