Old November 11th 03, 09:26 PM
private

Default Tektronix SUCKS!!!!!

Did they actually pull off that deal with GTE for service.
I was there training some of those ****ers.

RP Jones wrote:

Could it be they don't want to do anymore service, perhaps it cheaper just
to replace those new off seas plastic cheap ones one under warrantee.
I called them about a Tek 2232 and someone on the other end got all ****ed
off, said call GTE for service ?

"Frank Gilliland" wrote in message
Tektronix is trying to manipulate the oscilloscope market. Today I learned

from
my local dealership that they are required by contract to destroy every

scope
which is traded in for a new Tektronix scope, regardless of age or

condition. So
if you decide to trade in that old scope for a Tektronix, know ahead of

time
that it is NOT going to end up in the hands of a ham, or of some kid

learning
and experimenting in electronics on a tight budget like I was thir... er,

twenty
years ago. No, Tektronix needs to raise their profits by destroying every

used
scope they can get their greedy little hands on, regardless of who feels

the
pinch!

Old November 12th 03, 09:35 PM
Phil Kane

On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 11:36:38 -0500, Radioman wrote:

Come to think of it, HP ain't the old HP anymore, huh?

They even advertise, The New HP!

IIRC HP broke into several different companies - the one that makes
computers absorbed Compaq (or was it the other way around) and the
one that makes printer stuff is the "new HP".

The one that made (from the start) and still makes some of the best
test equipment now has a new name.

It shudd'a been the other way around.

--
73 de K2ASP - Phil Kane

From a Clearing in the Silicon Forest
Beaverton (Washington County) Oregon

Old November 14th 03, 04:21 AM
RP Jones

I don't know I wasn't stupid enough to even think about calling GTE.
Actually "now that I remember"
I had called Tek to enquire about a 465 B faceplate, this guy totally "lost
his wig" before I even got to speak about owning a 2232.
$^% 465 !! jokingly told me "THIS ISN'T SANFORD AND SON"

I have since sold the 2232 and baught 465B and a little NLS battery operated
(NLS are VERY very nice people, they sent me a manual, alignment/service
procedure and schematic free!! )
I also have a 545 on a cart to I use in the basement (winter) people love
looking at it

-RP

Old November 14th 03, 03:24 PM
gw

RP Jones wrote:

[...]

isn't it true that the older stuff is built like a battleship and
isn't as proprietary and can be repaired with user obtainable parts?
I always heard tek for scopes and hp for analyzers. Any thoughts on
that?
Old November 14th 03, 03:48 PM
Mike Andrews

In (rec.radio.amateur.homebrew), gw wrote:

isn't it true that the older stuff is built like a battleship and
isn't as proprietary and can be repaired with user obtainable parts?
I always heard tek for scopes and hp for analyzers. Any thoughts on
that?

My experience is that HP scopes are OK-to-great, while Tek scopes
are excellent-to-superb. Similarly, HP generators and analyzers are
excellent-to-superb, while OK-to-great.

There are other manufacturers that make excellent-to-superb hardware,
such as Fluke.

--
Mike Andrews

Tired old sysadmin

Old November 14th 03, 04:18 PM
Scott Dorsey

RP Jones wrote:
I don't know I wasn't stupid enough to even think about calling GTE.
Actually "now that I remember"
I had called Tek to enquire about a 465 B faceplate, this guy totally "lost
his wig" before I even got to speak about owning a 2232.
$^% 465 !! jokingly told me "THIS ISN'T SANFORD AND SON"

The repair depot in Washington DC has one old guy who likes working on the
older gear, and has some limited parts supply for them. Last year he spent
an awful lot of time getting the 100V supply on my 610 video monitor working
reliably, and I can strongly recommend the DC folks.
--scott

Old November 14th 03, 05:06 PM
RP Jones

With out doubt, most new hardware looks like its built to be thrown away
and crushed.
"Built in absolesance" Its a dam shame !
Id agree on Tek for scopes and HP for analyzers, if you look on Ebay HP
"as is" scopes with problems must out number the Tek's 10-1.
(Many developed push button/switchpad related problems)

Old November 14th 03, 05:46 PM
Chuck Harris

The saddest problems I have found with the HP gear is purely their own
fault. When they made the horizontal timing knobs for their 80's
vintage scopes, they made them out of plastic, and carved large slots in
the space between the outer part you turn with your fingers and the
inner part that turns the knob. This left very little plastic to take
the torque of turning the knob. Once they break there is no easy way
of repairing them.

The other big problem is their use of delrin gears with aluminum hubs
just about everywhere. And after 15 years, they are all broken. The
HP8640B is built like a tank, but everyone I have ever had came with
several gears that had split due to shrinkage.

-Chuck

Old November 14th 03, 10:58 PM
jakdedert

Looked like English to me. What part of it did you not understand?

jak

"Bill Turner" wrote in message
On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 03:21:29 GMT, "RP Jones"
wrote:

I had called Tek to enquire about a 465 B faceplate, this guy totally

"lost
his wig" before I even got to speak about owning a 2232.
$^% 465 !! jokingly told me "THIS ISN'T SANFORD AND SON"

I've read the above several times and can't quite figure out what you're
complaining about. Try it again in English.

--
Bill, W6WRT

Old November 15th 03, 12:16 AM
Roger Halstead

On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 11:46:28 -0500, Chuck Harris
wrote:

The saddest problems I have found with the HP gear is purely their own
fault. When they made the horizontal timing knobs for their 80's
vintage scopes, they made them out of plastic, and carved large slots in
the space between the outer part you turn with your fingers and the
inner part that turns the knob. This left very little plastic to take
the torque of turning the knob. Once they break there is no easy way
of repairing them.

That sounds just like the knobs used in the HT 32, 33, and SX101
series. They have a very thin flange, or lip around the front that is
very fragile. I saw one on e-bay a couple days ago that was described
as excellent, yet it had at least two sections of that lip missing.

The other big problem is their use of delrin gears with aluminum hubs
just about everywhere. And after 15 years, they are all broken. The
HP8640B is built like a tank, but everyone I have ever had came with
several gears that had split due to shrinkage.

But Delrin is very easy to machine.
Also unless the gears are of a very odd size (most are spur gears or a
pair of 45 degree bevel gears) that can be replaced with something
more modern and durable.

I do like a lot of the new, lighter weight gear as I have a bad back.
(Probably from man handling that old stuff that takes two good size
men to load it into a trailer)

www.rogerhalstead.com
N833R World's oldest Debonair? (S# CD-2)

-Chuck

RP Jones wrote:
With out doubt, most new hardware looks like its built to be thrown away
and crushed.
"Built in absolesance" Its a dam shame !
Id agree on Tek for scopes and HP for analyzers, if you look on Ebay HP
"as is" scopes with problems must out number the Tek's 10-1.
(Many developed push button/switchpad related problems)

"gw" wrote in message isn't it true that the older
stuff is built like a battleship and

isn't as proprietary and can be repaired with user obtainable parts?
I always heard tek for scopes and hp for analyzers. Any thoughts on
that?

Tektronix SUCKS!!!!! private Homebrew 165 December 10th 03 08:58 PM
Tektronix SUCKS!!!!! private CB 67 November 23rd 03 02:47 PM
Tektronix SUCKS!!!!! private Swap 0 November 11th 03 09:21 PM
Tektronix SUCKS!!!!! private CB 0 November 11th 03 05:48 AM
Tektronix SUCKS!!!!! private Swap 0 November 11th 03 05:48 AM