Old December 14th 03, 02:52 PM
Mike

K5IN wrote:

CW maybe antiquated but it still serves a purpose

What purpose? Who of importance do you dit-dah with? No one!

NO ONE USES CW... No one, not the military, not the maritime or Coast Guard,
not the weather service or the state of Minnesota. The only Hams that use CW
are the same old tired idividuals that complain about the "new Hams." And truth
be known, I bet one-half of those Hams are using a keyboard/computer to send and
receive.

If it were not for the new Hams, there would be no participants. Dah, it to the
21st century... When will YOU old-timers move without kicking and screaming
"they are taking away my hobby?" NO ONE is taking anything from you. We just
wish to use a "different" language. Its no wonder I do not venture on HF.
Every other frequency has a net of some sort or some two Hams are conversing on
"their freq" yapping about nothing.

Bring on the flames... I am off the soapbox.

--
Mike Dickman
KD4LLA
reply: m3425man at bevcomm.net

Powered by Mandrake Linux, no reboots since 5 February, 2003

A Star Tribune letter writer expressed frustration that Tim Pawlenty and
the House aren't listening to her desire to pay more taxes. She need not
feel so frustrated. She is perfectly free to send any amount of her
income to the government or the nonprofit of her choice. The unstated
reason for the frustration is that she wants the House to raise everyone
else's taxes to pay for the social programs she desires.

Old December 14th 03, 03:29 PM
gw

"ergo" wrote in message news:hPVCb.387233$275.1243513@attbi_s53...
CODE SUCKS
Repeat 1,000,000 times

"K5IN" wrote in message
Yes, and we all learned to walk before we ran? Riding a horse is

still
an approved method of transport the last time I looked. What's to say

that
running isn't a approved method of transport too except for those of that
are too lazy to do it. CW maybe antiquated but it still serves a purpose,
if only to motivate the lazy into doing something to gain an end and for
that reason it should be condemned? I think not.

Calculators: they should outlaw the ability to hand write long division or
multiplication? we could go on forever in this way couldn't we. I

normally
don't respond to these kind of inflammatory statements but this one was

one
I had to write back to as it was so out of bounds. I did it and am of the
opinion even the most lazy can learn 5 words per minute cw.
"Hamguy" wrote in message
Just because my Great Grandfather had to 'crank start' his car, we

should
ALL have to learn how to do it prior to driving. And his wife had to use

'crank style' telephone, therefore we ALL should have to master that
technology PRIOR to using a cell-phone just because they did.

Additionally,
we should ALL have to learn the computer language known as 'Basic' or
'Fortran' PRIOR to using a PC because I and so many others had to learn

it.
And EVERYONE should be required to learn an antiquated mode known as CW
before they get on HF because some 18th century guy invented it. Either
catch-up with the times, or get the HELL out of the way! Like it or

not,
CW is TOAST!

move over ox....the cb plussers are going to take over 10 meters real
soon, by default....

Old December 14th 03, 05:00 PM
VE3PMK

..-.. --- -. --. .-.. .. ...- . -.-. .-- .-.-.-

--... ...--

;-)

Old December 14th 03, 05:59 PM
Dave Floyd

You hit the nail on the head Bill
Dave W9MPD ( another 20WPM extra )
"Bill Turner" wrote in message
On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 12:00:31 -0500, VE3PMK wrote:

.-.. --- -. --. .-.. .. ...- . -.-. .-- .-.-.-

--... ...--

;-)

CW will live a long time. It's the force-feeding of it that will soon
stop, and about d*** time, too.

--
Bill, W6WRT

Old December 14th 03, 06:20 PM
Noon-Air

On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 00:45:07 -0800, "K5IN" wrote:

Riding a horse is still
an approved method of transport the last time I looked.

Totally missing the point. Nobody *forces* you to learn horsemanship
before you can move around. Nothing wrong with CW except that a certain
clique insists on jamming it down our throats.

The FCC says that you gotta prove competence to be able to play with "big
boys" toys, and 47 CFR says ITS THE LAW.

And what is this thread doing on this group anyway?

--
Bill, W6WRT
(a 20-wpm extra, BTW)

Old December 14th 03, 06:39 PM
Mike Coslo

Bill Turner wrote:

On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 00:45:07 -0800, "K5IN" wrote:

Riding a horse is still
an approved method of transport the last time I looked.

Totally missing the point. Nobody *forces* you to learn horsemanship
before you can move around. Nothing wrong with CW except that a certain
clique insists on jamming it down our throats.

Now to get working on the elimination of the writtens! The
Techno-weenie Hams are jamming that one down peoples throats.

There is no *need* for the modern Ham to know anything!

And what is this thread doing on this group anyway?

The winners of the CW/no CW war are just feeling their oats!

- Mike KB3EIA - A Morse code test, technical test supporting 5wpm Extra

Old December 14th 03, 06:41 PM
Mike Coslo

Bill Turner wrote:

On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 12:00:31 -0500, VE3PMK wrote:

.-.. --- -. --. .-.. .. ...- . -.-. .-- .-.-.-

--... ...--

;-)

CW will live a long time. It's the force-feeding of it that will soon
stop, and about d*** time, too.

We could get a lot more Hams if we dropped the writtens too!

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old December 14th 03, 09:31 PM
Noon-Air

"Bill Turner" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 12:20:21 -0600, "Noon-Air"
wrote:

The FCC says that you gotta prove competence to be able to play with "big
boys" toys, and 47 CFR says ITS THE LAW.

1. FCC rules can be changed.

2. CFR 47 can be changed.

That's what a lot of us want.

What's your point?

I thought the point was obvious...... but let me spell it out for you....yes
it can be changed, but until its changed, ITS STILL THE LAW.
No amount of complaining and whining about it here is going to change it.

Bill, W6WRT

Old December 14th 03, 09:38 PM
GaijinGig

I'm thinking that the reason we have these folks who want it easy is
because the band activity was slowly dying off, so to get more people
into the hobby -so it would not DIE altogether we have all these
non code types... we have no one to blame but us... the CW hams!!
n2jhs
5wpm, tech plus or what ever i'm called now...
-
On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 08:51:51 -0600, "ac5tx" wrote:

To dumb to learn CW??? Sad , how sad
"Hamguy" wrote in message
. ..
Just because my Great Grandfather had to 'crank start' his car, we should
ALL have to learn how to do it prior to driving. And his wife had to use a