Old December 15th 03, 04:48 PM
Marty B.

Default IS IT 73 OR 73`ss ..IS IT NAME OR HANDLE

73 OR 73`ss IN AMATEUR RADIO WE SHOULD USE 73 .

I HEAR PEOPLW ASK ME WHAT MY HANDLE IS ...HUH ?
IS THIS A CB LINGO ??

I DO HAVE A NAME NOT A HANDLE....

73 ! HAVE A GOOD DAY......

Old December 15th 03, 05:01 PM
hillbilly3302

well Marty old habits are hard to break.... more than half the Hams out
there were x-CB'ers. nothing wrong with that. they will get it right
as time goes by.... I've been a HAM for 36 years and started in CB....
I think the proper term for that is two words. "seven three" no "s"

K5DRC 10-10 #9151, ISSB # 9224 DAVE

ex- KG5XR,WB5LWZ, WN5DQG, WR5ALP, AAT6YC,

KRH-4063, KRI-0332, KJO-8973 Since 1968

.net...

Old December 15th 03, 05:16 PM

Marty:

73 or 73s .. the idea is the same and neither reduces intelligibility.

Name or handle... the idea is the same and neither reduces intelligibility.
Personally, I usually say "I hight Paul." After all, this is more
classically than either Name or Handle. It does reduce intelligibility, of
course, but that seems to be a small price to pay in exchange for being
correct.

73(s)

Paul AB0SI

.net...

Old December 15th 03, 05:33 PM
Rich

What dos 73 stand for?
good buddy, see you on the flip side. ect.

" wrote in message
Marty:

73 or 73s .. the idea is the same and neither reduces intelligibility.

Name or handle... the idea is the same and neither reduces

intelligibility.
Personally, I usually say "I hight Paul." After all, this is more
classically than either Name or Handle. It does reduce intelligibility, of
course, but that seems to be a small price to pay in exchange for being
correct.

73(s)

Paul AB0SI

.net...

Old December 15th 03, 07:05 PM
Bill

In looking back at old ham publications from the early 60's, as well as
license guides with operating techniques explained, I have seen the
reference to "handle" as appropriate terminology, well before the CB influx.
The resistance to the use became evident (at least around here), when 2M got
populated by herds of former cb'ers, and I'm not talking no code, I'm
talking 1970-80 era, who did everything they could to distance themselves
from "Chicken Band" and pretend that they were never there. For a while, the
"name" was used on VHF, while oldtimers on HF, especially CW, would refer to
"handles". It has since died away.
And if 73 causes such consternation, imaging what someone who wished you
88's would bring!!

Old December 15th 03, 07:33 PM
ergo

It is seventy-thirds
70/3
Because 23.333333333333333333333333 is the value of pi times the square root
of the ohms plus the amps.

my handle is my wifes business not yours

Old December 15th 03, 08:13 PM
Bill

As long as it isn't "stubby". Sorry, had to!

Old December 15th 03, 10:16 PM
Ed

As long as it isn't "stubby". Sorry, had to!

.... gives added meaning to "Rubber Duckie"!

Ed
Old December 15th 03, 10:29 PM
Rich

Rubber Duckie

Is a stubby rubber covered antenna. with a fitting to go on your portable.
We use to have 3 ft pull out antennas.

Old December 15th 03, 11:45 PM
Richard Cranium

" wrote in message news:Q%lDb.121450$_M.630038@attbi_s54...
Marty:

73 or 73s .. the idea is the same and neither reduces intelligibility.

Not correct. "73" (singular) translates to "best wishes" (plural). 73s
would thus translate to "best wisheses", which definitely reduces
intelligibility.

Name or handle... the idea is the same and neither reduces intelligibility.
Personally, I usually say "I hight Paul." After all, this is more
classically than either Name or Handle. It does reduce intelligibility, of
course, but that seems to be a small price to pay in exchange for being
correct.

Whenever someone asks me for my "handle", I just say "My name is
Richard". That gets the point across pretty well.

73(s)

Paul AB0SI