Old January 28th 04, 01:34 PM
MGALUVR

Default Whats happened to this newsgroup ?

Is there a problem with the server on this newsgroup or something? I see about
1/4 of the volume of messages here that I used to. Is there a problem with my
ISP...or has the amount of traffic here dropped dramatically ? Has everyone
finally succombed to the EBAY site for buying and selling?

Bill in Missouri
Old January 28th 04, 01:54 PM
jerry franks

I've noticed it, too. I think you're right----it's Ebay.

Old January 28th 04, 04:48 PM
K5MDM

Theres just so much CRAP instead of radio swap etc., most of us have moved
to QTH and QRZ and E ham.
This group is out of control..CU Bill

Old January 28th 04, 06:53 PM
MRR

Hi Bill:

I have thought the same for some time. Not only has the volume dropped,
but postings don't seem to happen until 8-10 hours later than when
submitted.

Sure wish the boys who have decided to use E-Bay would leave us alone. I
have no interest in being told to go to E-Bay to see an offering. If I
wanted to, I would go there to begin with.

Ron from California

Old January 28th 04, 07:09 PM
SummitRT

This used to be a great group but technology changes and so do the people.
Years ago you could put an item on this group and sell it for a fair price.
Now no matter what the price, you have people low balling prices to you. When
you sell an item thru eBay or QRZ it brings in top dollar because more people
are looking. Not very many people even know about newsgroups and those that
do, avoid it because of the massive amount of spam they see and get from
posting. Numerous times in the last year I have posted an item for sale here
and not sold it for less than market value and then sold it on ebay for a lot
more than I asked for here. A lot of us were making deals on this group more
than ten years ago and those were the days. Good deals, nice conversations,
good information and we all knew who to trust and who not to trust because we
put the names of the jerks right out on the newsgroups. We still had a few
people complain about something dumb, but it was once, not a daily rant and
they put their name on their post. It was rare that the same guy posted the
same exact item, like dual band antennas, everyday for weeks on end like they
do now. So to answer your question, yes, I think the bulk of the posts are
gone for good. It is a shame because before eBay, we did not have to pay a
premium to sell our items or to collect our money.
Old January 28th 04, 09:53 PM
Harry

MGALUVR wrote:
Has everyone
finally succombed to the EBAY site for buying and selling?

Bill in Missouri

Yes.
They are all little ebay boys now.

Old January 28th 04, 11:20 PM
Old School

Most people that do sell on ebay usually start the post topic with FA
instead of forsale. This way you can skip the post if not interested.
However there are idiots out there that cant seem to figure it out.
One of the reasons alot of people have moved to ebay is because of the
transaction records and protection policies on a bad transaction.

Also, your ISP may be the reason why your post dont seem to come out
as posted. My post here usually show up within less than a minute and
I use SBC.

When I used snowcrest.net for a short time, they had delayed postings
for hours in order to filter out binaries. For some reason they didnt
like the idea of users posting files via there service. Just an idea.

And yes, you are correct that the volume has dropped dramatically.
Seems like there are more crosspostings here from non related groups
than sale or swaps.

73
de kf6foz

Old January 29th 04, 03:16 AM
-Rev Jones

However there are idiots out there that cant seem to figure it out.

I said it once and Ill say it again, you people have a abuser here who
doesn't use "FA:" but variations of, as well as email. You people have
yourselves to blame for looking the other way.
Now you have a stirred up hornets nest

-Rev

Old January 29th 04, 04:37 PM
jakdedert

I think he finally got a clue. Witness the string of *FA:* posts today by
the one who 'shall remain nameless...'

jak

news