Old February 17th 04, 01:19 AM
ergo

Sailor

"Dave Platt" wrote in message
In article ,
Clif Holland wrote:

Check out FedEx ground.
CHEAPER than UPS ground and gets there DAYS faster!!!!!!!!!!!!

I want to see the Fedex Ground truck that goes to Hawaii????

It's a boat, of course.

Anyone who is both a ham, and a sailer, will assure you that all that
salt water outside the boat makes a _great_ ground!

--
Dave Platt AE6EO

Old February 17th 04, 03:56 AM
Chuck Harris

Gosh, that made the message sooo much clearer.
Pat yourself on the back!

-Chuck

ergo wrote:
Sailor

Old February 18th 04, 05:54 AM
Dave

There is no difference between Alaska, Hawaii, and New Mexico or
Maine.

Will someone please explain this 48 state stuff?

What's the story?

The 'story' is TIME. NO ONE in Alaska or Hawaii wants to
WAIT for 'ground' delivery, which is what is usually quoted
in the shipping price. Maine is 7 days TOPS. NOT weeks
like AK and HI are.

I asked at the Post Office, TODAY, in person, and found
that GROUND to Alaska is 4 weeks!!! So that means that
if I quote you 'parcel post' or 'Priority' - it makes NO DIFFERENCE
and will take a month to get to Alaska. Even WORSE for
Hawaii- 4 to 6 weeks.

So that means 'I'll pay the shipping at the rate quoted but if you
don't live in the lower-48, and you want it before summer, you
will have to cough up more money'

On the other hand, if I quote 'any state in the union' that means
that 48 states will get a VERY HIGH price just to make 'one price
for all' work for AK and HI.

Pretty simple. Go to www.usps.com and enter your own shipping
info and you'll see. It's really a simple issue.

Dave

Old February 18th 04, 06:52 AM
Brenda Ann

"Dave" wrote in message
news.com...
[...]

That's pretty bad.. I get stuff over here (Korea, at my APO) in 7 to 10 days
via USPS Priority mail. Sometimes it even gets here faster. Just got a
radio in to repair for a friend, he sent it Parcel Post from California, and
it got here in 6 days (delivered to ME, and I'm sure it sat at least a day
on each end in transit).

Old February 18th 04, 11:53 AM
- - Bill - -

Brenda Ann wrote:
"Dave" wrote in message
news.com...

[...]

I really appreciate the seller attempting to prevent me from suffering
inconveniences by having to wait so long but since I live here and am
accustomed to the time it takes I don't think I need that courtesy - or
else I wouldn't want to buy the item in the first place.

USPS Parcel Post can 'officially' take as much as 4-6 weeks to this
location. It rarely does. In maybe 50% of the cases its as fast as
Priority (3-4 days) and in six years here I can think of only a few
instances where it took a month. Never 6 weeks. So in a way its kinda
like pot luck but if I need it guaranteed faster I can pay for Priority.

I have never asked or insisted that a seller send me something at his
"48 state shipping included price", nor would I. The only time that
backfired on me is once when the cost of shipping here was LESS than his
"flat rate CONUS" figure.

It is indeed "pretty simple". No problem in having a flat rate for the
48 and anybody beyond pays the actual tab. Be advised that a USPS item
from New York to California costs the same as one from New York to
Alaska so often there is no difference anyway. What doesn't make
logical sense is "buyer pays shipping, CONUS only" unless the seller has
no access to a post office.

-Bill/KP4

Old February 18th 04, 03:59 PM
Mr No Spam

"Dave" wrote in message
news.com...
[...]

While I agree with your timing on shipments to Alaska and Hawaii - been
there done that - I disagree on your theory of one price fits all. Simply
state - BUYER PAYS ALL SHIPPING. Then charge them what it is to THEIR
location.
By saying that - I'm NOT including any costs you may charge for packing, if
any. So for example... if I have a tube tester up for bids and let's say two
people are potential winners - one in Alaska, the other in N.C. - a dead
heat in bidding. They ask me the cost to ship. They supply the zip code, I
give them the cost to their respective locations - regardless what it is.
"I" do not charge to pack. So all I would bill them for is the shipping
which WILL include insurance. I NEVER ship without insurance and at least
Confirmation of Delivery. Now, having been given the cost to ship, it is up
to that bidder to continue to bid for a win. "I" will ship to the US or
Canada (if need be). I dislike the paper work of Canada, but I'll still ship
there. But I'm not a great fan of shipping to the other countries. I suppose
if they want to pay the price, I'll do it. But for now, I've done all of the
US with no problems. In all of my shipping quotes, usually I'm on the money
98% of the time. There are those few times I've been within a $1 plus or
minus on cost. If it is a $1 more, I eat it. I find the right size
container, packing materials and use a good postal scale. Prepack, weigh and
measure. Plug all info into the shipper's web site. I do pretty good. It
doesn't have to be rocket science. I've shipped many items and I have yet to
have any problems with a package getting to it's destination or any
arguments in cost. I did get thrown off with the deal to Alaska though... I
was told something like 8 days and as you pointed out, it was 4 weeks. A
HELL of a huge difference. I believe that was before the Postal went cyber.
MNS.

Old February 22nd 04, 07:51 PM
Ed G

"Clif Holland" wrote in
:

Ok, to make it simple, neither UPS or Fedex do ground shipments to
Hawaii, Air only...

I still want to see that truck..

Parked ON or IN the boat? Does just the truck "container" count?

Ed :^)

Subject: Cleaning out 35 year old Shack w3cqh Boatanchors 0 December 6th 04 10:23 PM
Cleaning out 35 year old Shack Bill M Boatanchors 3 December 4th 04 09:38 AM
Shack Cleaning KU4YP Boatanchors 18 February 22nd 04 07:51 PM
Shack Cleaning KU4YP Equipment 38 February 22nd 04 07:51 PM
Shack Cleaning KU4YP Equipment 0 February 16th 04 06:07 AM