Old August 6th 04, 04:05 AM

Default Downfall of the Hamfest - Montgomery AL

"Ronny Julian" wrote in message ...
Has anyone in the SE US gotten their invitation to join others for the
Montgomery AL hamfest?

I Did today.

They actually expect people to take their USED stuff there and force buyers
to pay 10% over asking price (or however it works out) for state, city, and
county. Is this a trend that's spreading like wildfire or an isolated few
hamfests that also seem to market themselves as "computer shows" as well?

That will be the downfall of the hamfest as we have known it.

Ronny, this is happening everywhere, I can no longer afford to go to a
hamfest,Like Bham,montgomery etc...I pay to park,pay to get in
door,pay 20/25 $ for a table,pay three tax fees.You are out $50.00 if
you don`t sell a thing,that`s if you live there close by.If you sell
$200.00 worth of stuff you are taxed about $30 ..I know the hamfests
are not making much ,insurance could run several Hundreds or maybe
thousands for a two day event, rent, security etc..Looks like tailgate
swap is the best way to go ..Harold W4PQW