Old January 16th 05, 12:44 AM
David & Daphne Schertzer

Default Advice -COLD HEAT Solder Cordless Soldering Tool

Anybody use this iron? Good Bad? See replacement tips avail too.
Post advise or comments
Old January 16th 05, 03:29 AM
SummitRT

They sell them at Radio Shack and have one to try and I have never seen anyone
get the solder hot. They said it has new batteries in it but who knows.
Old January 16th 05, 03:41 AM
dontspam

I just got one. They have a split tip that both parts must touch the
pad or solder to get hot.

Old January 16th 05, 05:28 PM
Rich WA2RQY

I just got one. They have a split tip that both parts must touch the
pad or solder to get hot.

OK, but how does it work?

Thanks es 73...........RICH-WA2RQY
Cheep Manuals for sale @
http://www.myradioroom.com/manualsales.html
Web-Page URL
HTTP://members.aol.com/rlucch2098/index.html

Old January 16th 05, 07:16 PM
transwhite

There's been in depth discussions about these over on the
rec.antiques.radio+phono newsgroup within the last month. Search
www.googlegroups.com for some very good info.

From what I've seen they don't look of much use. About a year ago the QVC
shopping channel showed a sales presentation where they tried many times to
solder two wires together that were well wrapped around each other and it
couldn't be done.

Old January 19th 05, 04:25 PM
R. Belcher

Well, I bought one and was rather disappointed when I dropped a couple
Duracell's in it and had a whack at sticking a couple wires together.....

Then it occurred to me that this thing uses CURRENT (mini-arc-welder) to
produce heat. Dropped in a couple of 2000mAh NiCDs and it works like a
champ.

However, it does require a bit of operator finesse and a tiny learning
curve. But, after you get it, you got it!

Great little iron for quick fixes and "open area" work.

Wouldn't recommend for primary tool though.
rb

Old January 20th 05, 11:55 AM
Jason

I find that I need heat mass more than not, so if you are trying to resolder
some finals I would say that this is not for you. I wound up returning mine to
Costco.
"You know, I think it was James Joyce who said that a genius makes no mistakes,
that his errors are on purpose and they become the portholes of discovery,
that's the kind of thing you say when you do something real stupid." Red Green

"Cold Heat" Soldering Tool RHF Shortwave 14 January 9th 05 12:32 AM
How does this "cold heat" soldering iron work? scroob Homebrew 12 August 21st 04 12:47 AM
The Apollo Hoax FAQ darla General 0 July 22nd 04 12:14 PM
Soldering Tips that Heat Very Fast Martin McCormick Homebrew 4 February 24th 04 11:41 PM
Soldering Tips that Heat Very Fast Martin McCormick Homebrew 0 February 23rd 04 07:57 PM