Old January 27th 05, 10:23 PM
Jim - NN7K

jakdedert wrote:

IMHO, requiring a code test is like requiring someone to know how to
reupholster their car in order to get a drivers license. It's unlikely that
they will ever use the knowledge.

OTOH, I've seen a number of very simplistic technical questions posted
lately in this and in other forums, by 'hams' who should know better....

jak

Corse just how many repair their own radios - let alone design them-
Like requireing a person to Build a PORSCH from scratch, when he only
wants to avoid pedestrians, and other traffic! Lets get rid of ALL
testing materials, and abolish the FCC -- then ANYONE can transmit
ANYWHERE, from DC to LIGHT! No callsign required, nor power limits!
Free speech at last ! Makes as much sense! Jim NN7K
Old January 27th 05, 11:20 PM
jakdedert

Jim - NN7K wrote:
jakdedert wrote:

IMHO, requiring a code test is like requiring someone to know how to
reupholster their car in order to get a drivers license. It's
unlikely that they will ever use the knowledge.

OTOH, I've seen a number of very simplistic technical questions
posted lately in this and in other forums, by 'hams' who should know
better....

jak

Corse just how many repair their own radios - let alone design them-
Like requireing a person to Build a PORSCH from scratch, when he only
wants to avoid pedestrians, and other traffic! Lets get rid of ALL
testing materials, and abolish the FCC -- then ANYONE can transmit
ANYWHERE, from DC to LIGHT! No callsign required, nor power limits!
Free speech at last ! Makes as much sense! Jim NN7K

The kinds of questions to which I'm referring, are things like; how to hook
up a power supply, and whether a roof-mounted antenna should be grounded
(that was the question...not whether the MAST should be grounded)...things
that are covered in detail in the ARRL publications...and that are at least
'covered' in the license-study materials.

Of course, those 'hams' may in fact be unlicensed CB'ers or whatever...but
in any case I think a more solid grounding in the electronic aspects of
operation and installation are more important than learning how to
communicate with dits and dahs.

jak

Old January 28th 05, 12:06 AM
Jim - NN7K

Well, just how DIFFICULT is it to plug in a radio to the CIGARETTE
LIGHTER hole (unless you smoke)?, or stick a mag mount on a steel roof ?
Lets let the whole thing go the CB route-- and be done with it (but
then, some folks will want to eliminate that fun, whih "SERVICES" that
pay their own way thru licensing fees ! As a TECHNICAL pool, admit it:
Amateur radio is now little more than a higher power CITIZENS /FREE
bander group, and is ripe for abolishment to the garbage can of history,
next to the buggy whips! Jim NN7K

Old January 29th 05, 04:10 PM
Matt

"Jim - NN7K" wrote in message
om...
Well, just how DIFFICULT is it to plug in a radio to the CIGARETTE
LIGHTER hole (unless you smoke)?, or stick a mag mount on a steel roof ?
Lets let the whole thing go the CB route-- and be done with it (but
then, some folks will want to eliminate that fun, whih "SERVICES" that
pay their own way thru licensing fees ! As a TECHNICAL pool, admit it:
Amateur radio is now little more than a higher power CITIZENS /FREE
bander group, and is ripe for abolishment to the garbage can of history,
next to the buggy whips! Jim NN7K

Ahhhhhh, yes of course and the retention of CW will keep the riff raff out
won't it!! Really - the worst behaviour that I have heard from amateurs has
come from those whose licence class requires CW proficiency - didn't work
too well there did it? In the end, CW is just one of a huge number of
different modes that we have access to - as to why it should be retained,
well in my opinion, there are no valid reasons. CW is just another mode
that cann be used, and with the progression of time and improving
technology, requirement for HF users to demonstrate proficency is no longer
there.

Matt

Old February 16th 05, 12:57 AM
ZZZPK

"Matt" wrote:

: Ahhhhhh, yes of course and the retention of CW will keep the riff raff out
: won't it!!
yes it has ..and WILL continue to do so..

it requires effort to pass.

and once you put the effort in,, you will value the licence more.

those who lose hf access have further to fall (more to lose)

Old February 18th 05, 01:32 AM
stephen quigg

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 00:57:36 +0000, ZZZPK wrote:

"Matt" wrote:

: Ahhhhhh, yes of course and the retention of CW will keep the riff raff out
: won't it!!
yes it has ..and WILL continue to do so..

it requires effort to pass.

Hmmm. Australia dropped the morse requirement on Jan 1 2004 and the hordes
of "riff raff" never arrived! On-air behaviour is as always, with good or
bad not being tied to whether someone "did the test".

and once you put the effort in,, you will value the licence more.

Agree completely.

those who lose hf access have further to fall (more to lose)

Not sure where this is comming from. However my take on the whole issue is
that testing should be relevant to operator privilege. So, and this is by
way of EXAMPLE ONLY....

A basic test for all amateurs that gives basic privileges on some bands,
with limited power and type approved equipment.

Then you go for extra things, like

Higher power.
More bands.
Certification to use homebuilt/modified transmitters
etc, etc.

This would mean
1. Attaining "full" privilages would actually be HARDER than now.
2. Testing is RELEVANT to what the operator wants to do and is
demonstrably technically able to do.

....AND....
in the spirit of the above, you COULD have a morse test to use certain
parts of the spectrum for morse (and would of course be expected to
operate there according to an agreed minimum standard). Mind you, I think
this would be opening Pandora's Box whereby there might be a stampede to
grab slices of spectrum exclusively for EVERY MODE POSSIBLE!!!!

Bottom line. There's enough room for everyone to do their thing. Testing
should demonstrate that they are capable of doing it competently.

--
Stephen Quigg
VK2TUM

Old January 28th 05, 12:12 AM
SummitRT

I think if the FCC gave away ham tickets with no fee or test, there still would
not be a lot of people signing up for one. The hobby does not have the appeal
that it used to.
Too bad because the spectrum we have is worth a lot in the commercial business.