Old February 8th 05, 03:32 PM
RADIOMAN

Default Scams.. BEWARE!!!

Have any of you guys seen this.. Someone wants to buy something from you..
They offer you a check for WAY above the amount you are asking for your
item.. Then they expect you to SEND THEM THE CHANGE!!

WOW..

Now I am no ROCKET SCIENTIST.. BUT THAT'S A SCAM LOOKING FOR A SUCKER!!!

Old February 8th 05, 05:08 PM
cl

"RADIOMAN" wrote in message
. com...
Have any of you guys seen this.. Someone wants to buy something from
you.. They offer you a check for WAY above the amount you are asking for
your item.. Then they expect you to SEND THEM THE CHANGE!!

WOW..

Now I am no ROCKET SCIENTIST.. BUT THAT'S A SCAM LOOKING FOR A SUCKER!!!

Here is another one. A guy wrote me via the "E-Bay" questionnaire type set
up (a look alike) to see if I could help him. He said a man sold him
something on e-bay and didn't produce the item, wasn't refunding the money
and ignoring all e-mails. This idiot also said, the guy in question told him
that he had dealt with me, his record was clean - blah blah blah...
So, idiot asks me to help him out.... That E-Mail.... when you click on the
box to reply - was not only meant to divert my e-bay "sign in" information
to him - which I didn't insert, it also had a damned Key Stroke virus
attached, which my Norton picked up. I was only going to write to say - I
don't know of the person, sorry I can't help - since it did look legit. As
soon as it asked for my info, I knew it was a scam. BUT clicking on the
reply box had also instantly kicked in the virus. That registered as quickly
as the box for the E-Bay info to be given. The reply line in the window
showed an address too, which wasn't E-Bay.

SO BE CAREFUL - what you open. E-Bay is posting most of their stuff directly
on their web site. Go there to read anything. ANY THING ELSE - QUESTION
IT........

Old February 8th 05, 10:34 PM
Evan Platt

On Tue, 8 Feb 2005 12:08:47 -0500, "cl" wrote:

That E-Mail.... when you click on the
box to reply - was not only meant to divert my e-bay "sign in" information
to him - which I didn't insert, it also had a damned Key Stroke virus
attached, which my Norton picked up. I was only going to write to say - I
don't know of the person, sorry I can't help - since it did look legit. As
soon as it asked for my info, I knew it was a scam. BUT clicking on the
reply box had also instantly kicked in the virus. That registered as quickly
as the box for the E-Bay info to be given. The reply line in the window
showed an address too, which wasn't E-Bay.

You aren't using Oulook as your e-mail client are you? BAD choice.
It's way too easy to have someone send you a virus or worm with
Outlook.
Old February 9th 05, 01:23 AM
Jeff

"Evan Platt" wrote in message

You aren't using Oulook as your e-mail client are you? BAD choice.
It's way too easy to have someone send you a virus or worm with
Outlook.

You can use Outlook with no harm, as long as you use Mail Washer
first. Mail Washer goes to your ISP's mail server where you can see and read
all messages at the server level,, if something looks bogus you can delete it
off the server and never get it into your computer. Been using it for a couple
years now and No problems. It will show you the size of the message and
if there are any attachments, and you can look up the source IP with it. If
there is code built into the message body, you can see it, it just looks like
a bunch of gibberish-------- delete.

Jeff

Old February 8th 05, 08:37 PM
SummitRT

Steve,
That scam is big in the classic car business also. They want to send you a
certified check and once the car is gone, you find out much later that the
check looked real but was not. Thanks for pointing it out to this group.

Bob

Subject: Scams.. BEWARE!!!

Old February 9th 05, 11:24 AM
B.R. Smith

This is 50 years old.

Old February 9th 05, 03:59 PM
Alan

No, it's a million billion years old. Geez. We get it - YOU have
heard of the scam. Perhaps others just aren't as bloody wise
(or OLD) as you.

Buyer Beware Its Me Again ! Swap 7 November 8th 03 08:13 PM
BEWARE ! eBay scammer Dan Conti Scanner 17 October 28th 03 05:07 AM
BEWARE ! eBay scammer Dan Conti Swap 17 October 28th 03 05:07 AM