Old February 24th 05, 03:08 PM
TJ

Default FS: UNIDEN BEARCAT HANDHELD SCANNER NEW!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...17&refid=store

Old February 24th 05, 03:26 PM
dontspam

It's FA not FS

Old February 24th 05, 04:49 PM
Hamguy

Hey internet police...does it really matter whether a person uses FS or FA?
I mean, on auction sites, people are either BUYING or SELLING stuff. It
appears to me that this guy is SELLING a scanner, so FS is just fine.

Old February 24th 05, 05:25 PM
Bob

TJ and Hamguy,
For years, we as a group have been torn on eBay listings so as a
compromise, it was generally accepted that we would all use the policy
that if an item is for sale directly and is not listed on eBay, add FS
to the subject line, if it is an eBay listing, add FA to the subject
line. This gives readers who do not like the idea of eBay items being
listed on this group the option to skip over the post. This policy
also stopped a long running battle on listing eBay items on this group
at all. It is appreciated when the correct preface is used.

Bob

Old February 24th 05, 06:18 PM
Pat Stevens

"Hamguy" wrote in message
Hey internet police...does it really matter whether a person uses FS or

FA?
I mean, on auction sites, people are either BUYING or SELLING stuff. It
appears to me that this guy is SELLING a scanner, so FS is just fine.

No, at this point he can't sell the scanner, even if I offered him the
money right now. Because it is listed with Ebay, he has to sell it through
their system. It is a part of the deal of listing it with Ebay.
Some of us are not interested in doing the auction thing and would
rather just buy something outright, rather than wait a week trying to see if
we can have the best bid. On the flip side, I am sure there are some people
that would rather go through Ebay, because of the security that Ebay offers
both parties on the transaction.
Of course, Hamguy, this will mean nothing to you, because you keep
posting your site on here and have yet to say in any of your postings, why
anyone would be interested in visiting it. To me, it appears that you site
is a redundancy of so many others, because you have the same things as the
others. (i.e. ARRL newsletter)

Old February 24th 05, 06:41 PM
Evan Platt

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 16:49:51 GMT, "Hamguy" wrote:

Hey internet police...does it really matter whether a person uses FS or FA?

Yes.

FS means a quick exchange:

"I'll give you $XX for your widget."
"Ok, done!"

Whereas FA / eBay means a user must be registered on eBay, perhaps
have a paypal account if the seller requires paypal, etc.

I mean, on auction sites, people are either BUYING or SELLING stuff. It
appears to me that this guy is SELLING a scanner, so FS is just fine.

No, it's not.

http://www.faqs.org/faqs/radio/swap-guide/

is this groups FAQ:

It has become common practice to append "FS" ("For Sale"), "WTB"
("Want To Buy"), or "WTT" ("Want To Trade") to the subject line of an
ad. With the new online auction service, eBay, we ask that you include
"FA" ("For Auction") and also "eBay" to your subject line if you
choose to place an auction notice. (Note that a recent straw poll
revealed that many readers are not happy seeing auction notices on
r.r.swap - post such notices at your own risk! If you fail to append
"FA" and "eBay" in your subject line, you will surely be flamed.)
Old February 24th 05, 08:23 PM
John P Vassel

"Pat Stevens" wrote in news:SToTd.34490
:

No, at this point he can't sell the scanner, even if I offered him the
money right now.

Had you looked at the auction when originally posted, it had a buy it now
price which would have ended the listing immediately..

john
Old February 24th 05, 08:52 PM
Pat Stevens

"John P Vassel" wrote in message
. 97.142...
"Pat Stevens" wrote in news:SToTd.34490
:

No, at this point he can't sell the scanner, even if I offered him the
money right now.

Had you looked at the auction when originally posted, it had a buy it now
price which would have ended the listing immediately..

john

My point is, that he can't take my money, it has to go through Ebay. It
is being sold through Ebay and with that, he entered an agreement to sell it
only through Ebay. Again, if I offered him the money right now, he would
still not be able to give it to me, because the transaction must go through
Ebay.
Not everyone likes dealing with Ebay, nor does everyone want to. The
point is, if you are going to post something, then be honest.

Old February 25th 05, 06:40 AM
Sky King

Hi all, just my .02 cents here.
I have been reading these ham radio groups for many years now.
Every now and then somebody goes into a tizzy about somebody used
FS instead of FA. Then the thread goes on forever because the Tissy guy
is really nasty about it using a lot of potty mouth. Some simply say,
use FA, not FS. I think that is OK. Even though items are for sale
at auction. I always use the FA: when I list my auctions. And I only
post it every couple of days and the last day of the auction. On many
systems the original posting drops off within a day or so while some
systems show postings forever. I however do not list every day, this
can be annoying to the reader. HOWEVER, people who absolutely don't
want to even see any FA's should use a filter so they don't see them.
This would solve a lot of distress on the groups. I thank these groups
for the use. Many, or most guys that read stuff here DO look at the
auctions. The ebay counter proves this. You get a feel of how many
hits you have in a given time. When posting on some of the groups
the count goes up a lot in a few hours.
Anyway, thanks again for reading my .02 cents!
73, and remember, it is only a hobby.

Sky

Old February 25th 05, 04:35 PM
Mr. Chigliac

If you want to get technical, why are people SELLING or BUYING things here
anyway...they should be SWAPPING/TRADING only, hence the Newsgroup name
rec.radio.SWAP. There should be no monetary transactions at all!