Old March 5th 05, 03:05 AM
Kap

Default Im working on getting my first ham license what should be my first radio?

Can anybody give me ideas or model #s for handhelds.

Old March 5th 05, 04:03 AM
Señor Sombra

If you are going to be on 2 meters -- mostly in a vehicle -- suggest you
consider a mobile radio.
With a quick disconnect you can use it also as a base. Will need a 12V power
supply for base use.

HT's are fine when away from a power source.

Many end up with both a mobile and an HT

Several models are available in Mobiles and HT's -- see eham for opinions
http://www.eham.net/reviews/

My personal choices.
For a mobile I like my ICOM 2100H
For an HT I use the ICOM IC-T2H -- consider the battery shell accessory
which takes 8 AA batteries NIMH or Akaline.

Both are fairly low priced

Good Luck on the Ham test.

--
Lamont Cranston

"Kap" wrote in message
ups.com...
Can anybody give me ideas or model #s for handhelds.

Old March 5th 05, 04:13 AM
Ed

"Kap" wrote in news:1109991911.808194.28850
@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

Can anybody give me ideas or model #s for handhelds.

This is like a new driver asking for recommendations for a first new
car. There are so many different personal situations, and so many
models!

I'd suggest you go to some major ham radio dealer web sites and do some
investigations on your own. If money is a concern, then let price guide
your search. Also, I'd suggest you don't spend a bunch of money on a
radio with lots of bells and whistles until you get a hands on feel for
what you want and where you want to operate. 2M single band HT is a good
start. Start looking he

http://www.aesham.com and http://www.gigaparts.com

Ed K7AAT
Old March 5th 05, 05:16 AM
mike

Kap wrote:
Can anybody give me ideas or model #s for handhelds.

Lot depends on what you want to do and where you live.
Go to a ham radio club meeting and talk to people.
Probably turn up starter rigs dirt cheap. Some guys have so many
rigs that they'll lend you one. Don't go spend
big bux on new radios until you decide which modes/bands/inhabitants you
like. If you decide to buy used, my recommendation, always take a
trusted experienced ham with you when you go. It's really easy to buy
a radio with significant flaws that wouldn't be recognized by a newbie.
Been there, done that.
mike

..
MAKE THE OBVIOUS CHANGES TO THE LINK
htremovethistp://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Monitor/4710/

Old March 8th 05, 01:27 AM
Kap

I went to aesham.com and found a
Alinco DJS11T and I like it would that be a good starter radio?

Old March 8th 05, 02:32 AM
KD6EVM

Kap wrote:
Can anybody give me ideas or model #s for handhelds.

Look for a used, working, Radio Shack HTX-202. You cna probably find one
for under $100 with an alkaline battery back. Not very sexy, but
they're very reliable.

These radios can put out 5 watts and have sufficient bells and whistles
to keep you busy until you are ready to upgrade.

The Radio Shack 242 mobile is another consideration. Not too many
memories, but cheap and reliable.

Depending on where you live, the Alinco may be a little short on power
to hit distant repeaters.

Good luck and tell us how you're doing....

Tom Nelson KD6EVM
Old March 8th 05, 01:12 PM
dontspam

Forget ham radio. Its a dead hobby. Get a CB instead.

Old March 8th 05, 11:25 PM
Bob Miller

On 4 Mar 2005 19:05:11 -0800, "Kap" wrote:

Can anybody give me ideas or model #s for handhelds.

Start with a 25 to 30 amp 13.8-volt power supply, switching or
regulated, doesn't matter. MFJ and Astron are good brands.

Then you'll be able to pick out any kind of radio -- handheld, mobile
or fixed -- and you'll be able to power it independently of
batteries, which can be a limitation, a hassle and expensive.

The supply will also power any number of accessories.

bob
k5qwg

Old March 9th 05, 12:00 AM
Ed

I went to aesham.com and found a
Alinco DJS11T and I like it would that be a good starter radio?

I know the small sexy size is nice, but because it has only a 1/3 watt
transmit power, I would not recommend it to a new ham. You will likely
have difficulty transmitting over distance with that. There are others
for not much more money that are 5 watt radios and I would suggest they
would work better for a new ham. Look at the ICOM ICT2HSport, Alinco
AT201HP, Yaesu VX150, ICOM ICV8, and the Kenwood THK2AT.

Ed

Response to "21st Century" Part Two (Communicator License) N2EY Policy 0 November 30th 03 01:28 PM
Low reenlistment rate charlesb Policy 54 September 18th 03 01:57 PM
There is no International Code Requirement and techs can operate HF according to FCC Rules JJ General 159 August 12th 03 12:25 AM
Hey CBers Help Get rid of Morse Code Test and Requirement Scott Unit 69 Policy 9 August 1st 03 02:08 AM
Hey CBers Help Get rid of Morse Code Test and Requirement ROLDAIGNAULT CB 22 July 31st 03 12:54 AM