Old September 4th 05, 03:39 AM
-ex-

VOA SWLer wrote:

If anyone is using diesel, the local Giant food store here in Laurel,
Maryland is selling their brand name vegetable oil and Crisco oil in
bottles of a little over two quarts (as of September 2) on sale. It
works out to be about $3.10 per gallon.

(Today, diesel fuel here was priced at +/- $3.65 per gallon.)

A friend of mine is using Crisco in his diesel powered Dodge Ram 2500
pickup truck.

He says he gets 25 to 27+ mpg on the highway (about 10% less than diesel
fuel), vegetable oil provides better lubrication for the fuel injectors
than diesel fuel and it doesn't stink of diesel. He says the diesel
engine exhaust smells like McDonald's french fries.
:-)

I wonder if Mel-Fry would be better? Sure makes better fries!

-Bill
Old September 4th 05, 03:08 PM
Chuck Harris

-ex- wrote:
VOA SWLer wrote:

If anyone is using diesel, the local Giant food store here in Laurel,
Maryland is selling their brand name vegetable oil and Crisco oil in
bottles of a little over two quarts (as of September 2) on sale. It
works out to be about $3.10 per gallon.

(Today, diesel fuel here was priced at +/- $3.65 per gallon.)

A friend of mine is using Crisco in his diesel powered Dodge Ram 2500
pickup truck.

He says he gets 25 to 27+ mpg on the highway (about 10% less than
diesel fuel), vegetable oil provides better lubrication for the fuel
injectors than diesel fuel and it doesn't stink of diesel. He says
the diesel engine exhaust smells like McDonald's french fries.
:-)

I wonder if Mel-Fry would be better? Sure makes better fries!

-Bill

Do a search on SVO (straight vegetable oil). It is a good match for most
diesels, but it usually won't start the engine, and at room temperature is
borderline too thick to safely pass through the injectors. The solution to these
problems is to start the engine on diesel, and use the engine coolant to preheat
the SVO. When the engine is up to temperature, switch to SVO. When you are
a couple of miles from the end of your trip, switch back to diesel (to clear the
filters, pumps and lines of SVO)

Also, if your friend doesn't want to have to fill his truck bed with empty
VO bottles, he can buy the stuff in 55 gallon plastic barrels for a much reduced
price.

-Chuck

OBTW, using SVO in an on-the-road vehicle is illegal both federally, and in most
states, as you aren't paying the required per gallon road taxes. The road taxes
amount to about $1 per gallon of the price of fuel. It is also illegal to run a hybrid
using a battery charger, for the same reason... non commercial use is unlikely to be
caught in the near term, however. As SVO becomes more popular, I am sure that
the local constabulary will find ample time to pull over any vehicle that smells like
a fryer. The fines for running untaxed motor fuel on the road are very steep.
Old September 4th 05, 03:47 PM
Scott Dorsey

VOA SWLer wrote:
A friend of mine is using Crisco in his diesel powered Dodge Ram 2500 pickup truck.

He says he gets 25 to 27+ mpg on the highway (about 10% less than diesel fuel),
vegetable oil provides better lubrication for the fuel injectors than diesel
fuel and it doesn't stink of diesel. He says the diesel engine exhaust smells
like McDonald's french fries.

It's acidic enough that it will eventually corrode the fuel injectors
if he does this for too long without adding some buffering or cutting it
with diesel. But that should be fine to get us through the current
shortage.

Likewise my local paint store is selling VM&P naptha for around $2/gal.
A gasoline engine won't run on it alone terribly well, but you can cut
gasoline with it without any harm. (Admittedly I say this as a guy
with a car that predates catalytic converters).

Hmm... what are alcohol prices slike?
--scott

Old September 6th 05, 02:10 AM
Jerry

"Chuck Harris" wrote in message
-ex- wrote:
VOA SWLer wrote:

[...]

How about if I brew up some moonshine and run it in my '31 Model A Ford
(hic, excuse me)?

Jerry

Old September 6th 05, 03:21 AM
**THE-RFI-EMI-GUY**

Can you provide cites? I can't beleive that i would be breaking a law if
I drove a solar powered vehicle.

--
Joe Leikhim K4SAT
"The RFI-EMI-GUY"

The Lost Deep Thoughts By: Jack Handey
Before a mad scientist goes mad, there's probably a time
when he's only partially mad. And this is the time when he's
going to throw his best parties.

Old September 6th 05, 03:50 AM
Chuck Harris

**THE-RFI-EMI-GUY** wrote:
Can you provide cites? I can't beleive that i would be breaking a law if
I drove a solar powered vehicle.

Why can't you believe it? The states and feds want their road taxes even
more than they want a solution to the fossil fuel problem.

Diesel for off the road tractors, and earth movers is untaxed, and is dyed
red to make it obvious if a vehicle has ever used the stuff. (It stains the
tank red, and the filters. Truckers get checked for this problem at weigh
stations. On this I have first hand experience, as I run farm tractors, and
earth moving equipment.

Here is a cite on that:

http://www.bizjournals.com/washingto...3/daily27.html

-Chuck
Old September 7th 05, 05:29 AM
**THE-RFI-EMI-GUY**

I know about using heating oil being illegal. But sure enough, I googled
this subject and various state DOT's are trying to get Bio-Diesel
categorized for taxation. Still they are not talking about going after
solar power, but I am sure that is coming next. By the way, there is a
new "initiative" called "open roads", which is everything but open
roads. They are trying to put RFID transponders in every car and extract
tolls from everywhere you drive.

Old September 11th 05, 12:23 AM
VOA SWLer

Chuck Harris wrote:

OBTW, using SVO in an on-the-road vehicle is illegal both federally, and
in most
states, as you aren't paying the required per gallon road taxes.

Who cares? What are the chances of him being stopped by an IRS
"revenuer" or a state official because his exhaust smells of french
fries?

Nil!

Old September 11th 05, 12:32 AM
VOA SWLer

Scott Dorsey wrote:

VOA SWLer wrote:

A friend of mine is using Crisco in his diesel powered Dodge Ram 2500 pickup truck.

It's acidic enough that it will eventually corrode the fuel injectors
if he does this for too long without adding some buffering or cutting it
with diesel.

How long would it take to show corrosion of the fuel injectors?
50K miles? 100K miles?

But that should be fine to get us through the current
shortage.

That's right! And, now that the prices for diesel fuel are dropping,
Crico oil is more expensive.

Old September 11th 05, 05:45 AM
Chuck Harris

VOA SWLer wrote:
Chuck Harris wrote:

OBTW, using SVO in an on-the-road vehicle is illegal both federally,
and in most
states, as you aren't paying the required per gallon road taxes.

Who cares? What are the chances of him being stopped by an IRS
"revenuer" or a state official because his exhaust smells of french
fries?

Getting better all the time! When it was just one or two cars doing
it, the chances were nil. But now there are websites dedicated to
running SVO, or biodiesel. The legislature in MD, for one, had already
addressed the issue, and will be taxing biodiesel in all forms.

Considering that the fine is in the thousands of dollars, it might
be important to you if you decide to run SVO, or off road diesel.

-Chuck

Shelby Hamfest Travel kk4tl Shortwave 26 September 15th 05 08:57 AM
Pilot Travel Centers Fined $125,000! Jerry CB 107 December 10th 04 03:49 AM
AD: First Live Hamfest Web Event, Sat. Oct. 30, 2004 OnlineHamfest CB 0 October 14th 04 09:40 PM
For sale at the Shelby Hamfest Ron, KC4YOY Boatanchors 0 September 1st 04 02:49 AM
For sale at the Shelby Hamfest Ron, KC4YOY Swap 0 September 1st 04 02:49 AM