Old August 31st 05, 07:02 PM
kk4tl

Default Shelby Hamfest Travel

Channel 13 - WLOS TV in Asheville, NC is reporting that a number of gas
stations in WNC are closing down due to an outage at the supplier's
terminal in Spartanburg, SC. The terminal outage is said to last 3
days or so.

Just a heads up - if you're going to Shelby this weekend, might wanna
keep 'er topped off as you travel through the affected areas. Just got
this clip from http://www.wlos.com./

Mountain Fuel Shortage
Hurricane Katrina has knocked out power to many areas in the Gulf
States and that's affecting the two major suppliers of fuel in the
Southeast.

That means delays in fuel deliveries to stations here in Western North
Carolina. Wednesday morning we found that some gas stations only had
premium. And at least one station, is selling gas for more than $3
dollars a gallon. People are urged to cut back on unnecessary trips and
to conserve gasoline as much as possible. If the gas problem continues
for several days, cities, towns and counties may ask police and
firefighters to stay overnight to be sure they can get to work.

Old August 31st 05, 09:06 PM

In South Georgia, gas deliveries to some stations have been suspended until
further notice. In North Georgia stations are running out in smaller towns,
and shipments aren't expec6ted before another 3 weeks. At least one small
town Sherriff's department has pulled all patrol cars off the street and is
only sending out .
for emergencies.

Ga Governor's office has lifted restrictions on truck drivers carrying gas
supplies to allow them to drive more hours than they were previously limited
to.

oups.com...

Old August 31st 05, 09:24 PM
Beerbarrel

On 31 Aug 2005 11:02:36 -0700, "kk4tl" wrote:

[...]

I was going to drive up there. It is about a 300 mile drive for me. I
changed my mind because I'm not sure if I will be able to get gas.
From what I hear, they are closing gas stations for the weekend around
here. I guess I don't need anymore radio suff that bad.
Old August 31st 05, 10:05 PM
Jerry

"kk4tl" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

If you come thru Gaffney, SC on I-85 there was fuel at $2.65 (as of 2 PM
8/31) on exit 92 (Pilot and Petro). I notice a lot of spaces that had not
been taken at Shelby (I was over there today putting up my tent). There are
quite a few campers there as always, and more will prolly arrive tomorrow.
I hope it will be a good ''fest inspite of all the fuel troubles.

73

Jerry

Old September 1st 05, 03:02 AM
kk4tl

Jerry said
I hope it will be a good ''fest inspite of all the fuel troubles.

Agreed, I hope it'll be business as usual. With Dayton spinning down,
it's good to see Shelby still standing strong.

For those coming up from I-85 south, I'd say top it off in the
Greenville/Spartanburg/Gaffney area.

For those coming in from I-85 north, better catch some no later than
Gastonia or Belmont just before you turn off of I-85 onto Hwy 74.

For either situation there's convenience stores and/or truck stops at
many exits.

Old September 1st 05, 11:32 PM
Jerry

"kk4tl" wrote in message
oups.com...
Jerry said
I hope it will be a good ''fest inspite of all the fuel troubles.

Agreed, I hope it'll be business as usual. With Dayton spinning down,
it's good to see Shelby still standing strong.

For those coming up from I-85 south, I'd say top it off in the
Greenville/Spartanburg/Gaffney area.

For those coming in from I-85 north, better catch some no later than
Gastonia or Belmont just before you turn off of I-85 onto Hwy 74.

For either situation there's convenience stores and/or truck stops at
many exits.

Today, there are a "fair" amount of 'festers on site with the camper section
near 74 Business full. The guy next to me is from New York, so some aren't
afraid to travel. The Exxon out there on 74 and 74 Business had their gas
at $3.39 per gallon! Petros in Gastonia 10 cent cheaper.

IMHO, this is nothing but a lousy attempt to take advantage of one situation
and "claim" their huge price increases are valid; it is a GOUGE that I hope
BACKFIRES on the oil companies. It's time for consumers to simply NOT buy
for a few days and see what happens. Of course, I suspect the gas price
will "mysteriously" begin to drop after the Labor Day holiday disguised as
refineries being "repaired" ( how concidental that they get repaired right
after Labor Day because they can "hide" under the disaster.) I hope they
CHOKE on their ill-gotten profits! Me, except for attending the
hamfes)t, I am sitting at home until the SOB's rot; I can WALK to the
grocery store if I have to!

Jerry

Old September 2nd 05, 12:35 AM
Lawrence Statton N1GAK/XE2

"Jerry" writes:

IMHO, this is nothing but a lousy attempt to take advantage of one
situation and "claim" their huge price increases are valid; it is a
GOUGE that I hope BACKFIRES on the oil companies.

Well -- I agree that the price bump in the last few days is
suspicious. On the other hand, consider the following:

o Forty percent of the nations refinery capacity is at an absolute
standstil.

o The main pipeline feeding the entire eastern half of the US for
what refined products ARE available in storage terminals is running
at less than 30% capacity.

o The Gulf Coast has the landing terminals for 50% of all crude oil
consumed by the US.

o Every agency on the ground says it will be *weeks* before things
are back to normal.

Everything we learned in high-school economics tells us: Prices are
going to rise. I fear that it is going to get worse before it gets
better. If it makes you feel any better, buy energy stock.

It's time for consumers to simply NOT buy for a few days and see
what happens.

Well, the trick is not to move your purchase decision - a deferred
purchase is still a purchase. The trick is to actually lower
consumption -- something that, for good or for bad, my countrymen have
not shown a great interest in for decades.

Of course, I suspect the gas price will "mysteriously" begin to drop
after the Labor Day holiday disguised as refineries being "repaired"
( how concidental that they get repaired right after Labor Day
because they can "hide" under the disaster.)

I cannot believe someone wrote that - Do you honestly suspect the oil
industry conspired to make a hurricane happen near a busy travelling
weekend? Sometimes an amazing coincidence is just a coincidence.

Reminds me "And the second gangster says to the third, `but how were
you able to arrange a flood?' ... " [1]

Me, except for attending the hamfes)t, I am sitting at home until
the SOB's rot; I can WALK to the grocery store if I have to!

A great idea all the time -- good for one's health, good for the
environment. Now if we just had urban planning that put the grocery
stores a teeny bit closer to where we lived ...

Of course, I live down in XE land, so we have abundant cheap gasoline
(US $2.15 at current exchange rates) and I have three grocery stores
within a five minute walk of my house.

Jerry

73

-- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
Lawrence Statton - m s/aba/c/g
Computer software consists of only two components: ones and
zeros, in roughly equal proportions. All that is required is to
sort them into the correct order.
Old September 2nd 05, 12:55 AM
Michael A. Terrell

Lawrence Statton N1GAK/XE2 wrote:

Of course, I live down in XE land, so we have abundant cheap gasoline
(US $2.15 at current exchange rates) and I have three grocery stores
within a five minute walk of my house.

Jerry

Good for you. The closest grocery to my house isa couple miles away.
It is down a busy highway with no place to walk, and I have to use a
cane so walking to the grocery is out of the question. Because of this
I try to arrange to stop at the grocery when I have to leave the house
for another reason.

As I always say, "We all have our bears to cross!" ;-)

--
Link to my "Computers for disabled Veterans" project website deleted
after threats were telephoned to my church.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Old September 4th 05, 12:28 AM
Jerry

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
Lawrence Statton N1GAK/XE2 wrote:

Of course, I live down in XE land, so we have abundant cheap gasoline
(US $2.15 at current exchange rates) and I have three grocery stores
within a five minute walk of my house.

Jerry

Good for you. The closest grocery to my house isa couple miles away.
It is down a busy highway with no place to walk, and I have to use a
cane so walking to the grocery is out of the question. Because of this
I try to arrange to stop at the grocery when I have to leave the house
for another reason.

As I always say, "We all have our bears to cross!" ;-)

--
Link to my "Computers for disabled Veterans" project website deleted
after threats were telephoned to my church.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Indeed, there are not so drastic measures consumers can take. Of course,
when the price of a commodity rises beyond the price the public as a whole
is willing to pay, then the demand falls with an often matching fall in the
price. If we just stop in our harried schedule to think, "Wait a sec. Is
THIS trip really necessary?" Or, "Can I combine this with an other errand
tomorrow". If we made a conscious effort and goal of saving ONE gallon a
week in our own driving, how much would that impact the demand for fuel?
One gallon--even two--for every vehicle in the USA saved. How about a more
ambitious goal? One gallon per DAY=5 gals per workweek X how many drivers on
the road at a time = what? Of COURSE, there are trips and business that must
be made/done. OTH, how many times do you just hop in the car without a
second thought to run down to the Radio Shack and pass the SAME store the
next day going to the grocery store? How about slowing down to 55-60
instead of 70 per?
How many Escalades do we see each day with ONE person when we could carpool
to work (some DO carpool but there are untold numbers that "prefer" to have
their car to themselves Heck, I press in the clutch on my little truck and
coast down long hills often maintaining 55 while the engine is idling at 600
RPM; at steady state, the engine is at 1700 @ 55, 2100 @ 70. If I don't just
HAVE to go, I will just stay at home, piddle in my shop and watch TV. We
ALL have to do a little to prevent the profiteers from taking advantage of
our spoiled habits of yore. I KNEW "them" Surburbans" would come back to
bite us eventually!!

Old September 4th 05, 03:29 AM
VOA SWLer

kk4tl wrote:

Channel 13 - WLOS TV in Asheville, NC is reporting that a number of gas
stations in WNC are closing down due to an outage at the supplier's
terminal in Spartanburg, SC. The terminal outage is said to last 3
days or so.

Just a heads up - if you're going to Shelby this weekend, might wanna
keep 'er topped off as you travel through the affected areas. Just got
this clip from http://www.wlos.com./

If anyone is using diesel, the local Giant food store here in Laurel, Maryland
is selling their brand name vegetable oil and Crisco oil in bottles of a
little over two quarts (as of September 2) on sale. It works out to be about
$3.10 per gallon.

(Today, diesel fuel here was priced at +/- $3.65 per gallon.)

A friend of mine is using Crisco in his diesel powered Dodge Ram 2500 pickup truck.

He says he gets 25 to 27+ mpg on the highway (about 10% less than diesel fuel),
vegetable oil provides better lubrication for the fuel injectors than diesel
fuel and it doesn't stink of diesel. He says the diesel engine exhaust smells
like McDonald's french fries.
:-)

Shelby Hamfest Travel kk4tl Shortwave 26 September 15th 05 08:57 AM
Pilot Travel Centers Fined $125,000! Jerry CB 107 December 10th 04 03:49 AM
AD: First Live Hamfest Web Event, Sat. Oct. 30, 2004 OnlineHamfest CB 0 October 14th 04 09:40 PM
For sale at the Shelby Hamfest Ron, KC4YOY Boatanchors 0 September 1st 04 02:49 AM
For sale at the Shelby Hamfest Ron, KC4YOY Swap 0 September 1st 04 02:49 AM