Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old July 16th 06, 01:49 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap

Default Elimination of CW is a loss in the number of ways we can communicatewith other.

In article , "Dee Flint" wrote:

"J. D. B." wrote in message
John,

Just get on digital modes. Don't worry about CW. Digital is where the
fun is and the copy is much better.

A buddy of mine in St. Louis and I experimented with low power and various
digital modes last night on 40 meters. CW was marginal. The best was
DominoEX with FEC - just about 100% all the time and it also has a second
channel to display additional information.

CW can be fun at times, but maybe it's not your thing. Let the stone-age
hams continue with CW, and move up and on to the digital modes.

MultiPSK, while a bit cluttered and ugly, is a great program you can use.
MixW is cleaner looking and very good, but not as many capabilities in the
program.

Move on and start having fun.

You just don't get it do you. There are conditions for each mode that will
make that mode "the best". Every mode has its place. That goes for voice,
all the multiplicity of digital modes and yes CW. Last night you had the
best luck with DominoEx. Another night RTTY might be better. Another
night, voice might be more intelligible. Yet another night will favor CW.

Based on what I've read about DominoEX, it is a form of Multi-Frequency
Shift Keying. This variation looks to be more robust than others, however,
anything that can compromise FSK and MFSK has the potential to compromise
DominoEX. It will merely be a matter of the degree of severity needed
before it becomes unusable.

Just because something is old doesn't make it useless or stone age. Pencils
have been around far longer and are still highly useful.

Dee, N8UZE

Very well put. Every mode is useful, important and valuable in different
situations. What's unfortunate, is that the only modes the anti-CW crowd
wants and supports are "Lazy Mode" and "Retard mode"

Hymie