Old July 25th 06, 05:46 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap

Default Elimination of CW is a loss in the number of ways we can communicatewith other.

somebody wrote ...

Code elements should be 13 wpm for General, and 20 wpm for Extra.

Make the no-code license one year non-renewable.

.... and new aircraft pilot license requirement: Demonstrate an engine start
by spinning the prop -- by hand. Even if you intend to fly only jets, some
old "prop-job" might be the only thing that can get through in an emergency.

I wonder: Did the radio amateur community go through anything like this for
the transition away from spark?

Old July 25th 06, 01:38 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap

On 24 Jul 2006 16:42:15 -0700, "
wrote:

after all I can do even EME

I sincerely doubt that. You probably couldn't even figure the loss on
an EME path.
Old July 25th 06, 01:41 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap

On Mon, 24 Jul 2006 23:37:53 -0400, "clfe"
wrote:

ago or better. How did the rep act like a snob? He turned to his bud who was
with him behind the table and ignored others "trying" to gain his attention
and talk to him about whatever. Oh - he may look and say Hi, but god forbid
you interrupt his conversation with his buddy. So much for the "MEET YOUR
ARRL REP HERE"

Instead of canceling your membership you should have complained to
Newington. I've known a lot of League reps - some are great, some are
so-so and some are terrible. About the same mix as any large group of
human beings. Canceling your membership didn't make the situation any
better.
Old July 25th 06, 01:42 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap

On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 13:36:13 +0900, "Brenda Ann"
wrote:

"Al Klein" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 24 Jul 2006 11:15:03 -0500, "Brian Hill" wrote:

You can argue till your blue in the face but CW requirement will be gone
sooner or later. I fully understand the points of the pro CW guys but it's
just the sign of the times.

The sign reads, "Instant Gratification". Buy the equipment and be
able to put it on the air immediately.

It wouldn't surprise me if, in the not too distant future, one will be
able to buy a ham transceiver, create call letters out of one's
initials or something and legally be on the air while waiting for the
real "ask for it and you get it for a fee" license.

Ahh.. the 1977 solution.. first, middle and last initials followed by your 5
digit zip code....

And remember how that "improved" things?
Old July 25th 06, 04:41 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap

Al Klein wrote:
On 24 Jul 2006 16:42:15 -0700, "
wrote:

after all I can do even EME

I sincerely doubt that. You probably couldn't even figure the loss on
an EME path.

doubt it all you like

figure the path with any precison no, but I am can use the various
charts to know know I need to contact various types of stations

theseday 100w a 13b2 a preamp and you are able to pick up the larger
stations, and they can hear you

why do Ineed to be figure the path loss when I can determine the
parameters for sucess.

I honestly don't care how much of the signal islost along the way

I care wether a readble signal reach the otherside

Old July 25th 06, 05:05 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap

wrote:

ago or better. How did the rep act like a snob? He turned to his bud who was
with him behind the table and ignored others "trying" to gain his attention
and talk to him about whatever. Oh - he may look and say Hi, but god forbid
you interrupt his conversation with his buddy. So much for the "MEET YOUR
ARRL REP HERE"

Instead of canceling your membership you should have complained to
Newington. I've known a lot of League reps - some are great, some are
so-so and some are terrible. About the same mix as any large group of
human beings. Canceling your membership didn't make the situation any
better.

Remember also that most reps are elected by the few who bother to vote
for them. Most are unopposed. Sort of like politicians.

Dave WD9BDZ
Old July 25th 06, 05:31 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap

wrote:

ago or better. How did the rep act like a snob? He turned to his bud who was
with him behind the table and ignored others "trying" to gain his attention
and talk to him about whatever. Oh - he may look and say Hi, but god forbid
you interrupt his conversation with his buddy. So much for the "MEET YOUR
ARRL REP HERE"

Instead of canceling your membership you should have complained to
Newington. I've known a lot of League reps - some are great, some are
so-so and some are terrible. About the same mix as any large group of
human beings. Canceling your membership didn't make the situation any
better.

Remember also that most reps are elected by the few who bother to vote
for them. Most are unopposed. Sort of like politicians.

Dave WD9BDZ

anyone that thinks you jion the ARRL and stand for office should
inquire of Carl Stevenson

Old July 25th 06, 08:02 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap

On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 11:05:27 -0500, "David G. Nagel"
wrote:

Remember also that most reps are elected by the few who bother to vote
for them. Most are unopposed. Sort of like politicians.

And, like politics, those who don't vote deserve the representatives
they get.
Old July 25th 06, 08:02 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap

On 25 Jul 2006 09:31:14 -0700, "an old friend"
wrote:

anyone that thinks you jion the ARRL and stand for office should
inquire of Carl Stevenson

Or Steve Mendelson?
Old July 25th 06, 08:18 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna,rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.shortwave,rec.radio.scanner,rec.radio.swap

wrote:

anyone that thinks you jion the ARRL and stand for office should
inquire of Carl Stevenson

Or Steve Mendelson?

sorry don't know his story

I Know Carl stried to stand for ARRL director (midalantic) and was
refused a place on the ballot