Old September 6th 05, 04:25 AM
sean

Default Will Everthing Go Digital? The future of SWL/scanning.

Hello, all
Name here is Sean, KD4ADV
QTH is Amelia County, Virginia 23002 , USA

Besides public safety,
what else is planned for the transition to digital?

(here's where I start to step up on my "Pelican Box"
-this is only for an impromptu and speaking my beef)

I hope Billy Tauzin and Ed Markey don't start their whining crap again.
Politicians!
I didn't vote for "them" to protect my scanner rights and privileges so that
they could ban scanners from not only me, but from Public Safety groups as
well.

I hope they're doing other things like working at walmart or something where
they can stay out of the way of the American Citizens who take great
interest in their enjoyment of their hobby of scanning, SWL, and Amateur
Radio aspects.

If a politician in your area is planning on banning the use of scanners all
together --- don't vote for that person and let them know that in a
non-violent way, yet express your position and what will happen when
scanners go the way of the Do-Do Bird!

I bought my first Bearcat BC-100 from BEST Products in Richmond, VA across
from the Cloverleaf Mall.

I saved money over the years and bought the Pro - 2052 in 2000 and this year
it went bye-bye electronically!

I want to invest on a good digital scanner, yet I am awaiting the 1st phase
of the Virginia State Police STARS to take effect, yet I want to keep
listening to the non-digital acitivity like :

The VHF band
Maritime
Railroad
Air - AM
and some of the existing analog Public Safety VHF Low/High Band.

UHF -
GMRS/ FRS
Military Air - AM
(I hate those scanners that only allow a small portion to be heard)
It's supposed to be 225 - 399.9995 MHz

The Bearcat BC-3000 is a good hand-held scanner because you can select which
mode you want to program instead of the pre-programmed firmware(CPU / diode
matrix) inside deciding for you.

I also like the scanners that go from 25 MHz to 1.3 GHz (excluding the
cellular - i don't care 'bout that area.).

Some existing analog Public Safety.

Amateur 73cm band ("440"- band)

Is there anything that can be heard between 54 MHz and 87.7 MHz?

Look at all that has happened in Central New Orleans, LA and Hattiesburg,
MISS.
Those that are not even near that area can monitor activity on receivers
that have SSB and can monitor the ARES and RACES and other Emergency Amateur
stations as well as military patrols and rescues and such.

I'm tired of seeing repeated photos on tv - there's no current photos - just
"file - footage" of days during the Hurricane.

So, Americans have the Absolute Right to know how things in Louisiana are
going more than they will hear from repeated reports on Headline News or
CNN!
(cause they repeat that stuff over and over!)

No, I' m not badmouthing -- I'm just stating that there is an alternative to
TV broadcasts and satellite remotes.
It's called shortwave, amateur radio and scanner.

Yes, not everyone knows/understands the purpose of Amateur Radio.
Nor can everyone own or afford such equipment unless they are licensed
nor even have a receiver with multi-modes and 1000 channels so they can keep
tabs on outside locations.

I would love to see ALL Automobiles / Trucks equipped with radios that can
receive more than just the FM and outside the AM standard broadcasts and the
Satellite radio stuff.
Shortwave begins on 1.8 and stops at 29.9995 MHz

Technology should be able to fabricate an antenna that will receive these
frequencies without the need for a long-ass antenna hanging on their
vehicle.

And that should have to cost the car or truck buyer a damn thing extra.

Speaking of cars.
What vehicle should be the Next "KITT 2K6"?

Imagine KITT, KARR, or *KIFT*, if he had the ability to receive digital
trunked systems and display them on his screen.
Of course trunking was not heard of or thought of back in1982.
(*Knight Industries Four Thousand*)

Ok, I am through with my impromptu and speaking my beef.

Tnx,
Sean

Old September 7th 05, 09:19 PM

I think more and more services will go digital and trunked. Even our
local Canadian Pacific Railway police went to Apco 25. But I do not
think scanning will die, as digital scanners get cheaper and the
restrictions on them will not continue. I agree that scanning and
shortwave radio is an excellent alternative to the TV, am/fm radio,
satellite and even newspapers. I know a little bit about amateur
radio, and they can be very helpfull in emergency situations, as well
as being a life line in areas where their is no other means of
communicating.
Fred Burgess