Old August 20th 04, 05:46 AM
numeric

Default US to roll out terrestrial digital

Mike Terry wrote:

Clear Channel are leading American radio and speeding up the industry's
adoption of digital technology and has agreed a deal to make 1,000 of its
stations digital. The broadcaster will use the iBiquity, in-band HD system,
developed by iBiquity Digital Corporation, a company in which Clear Channel
has a small interest. By 2007 San Antonion-based Clear Channel expects to
convert 95 per cent of its 1,200 AM and FM stations to digital in its top
100 markets, which include the Baltimore-Washington area, as well as New
York and Cincinnati. Initially the conversion will cost about £70,000 a
station, but the price is expected to decrease as the R & D costs are
reclaimed.

http://www.theradiomagazine.co.uk/News.htm

Good news if one is lucky enough to find where to buy a digital radio
for terrestrial reception. Except for satellite radio, terrestrial
digital radio is a well kept secret. There is one digital AM radio
station in the NYC area, WOR 710 KHZ, and no available receiver. I get a
blank stare when I ask the so-called technical expert retail guy if
their store sells digital AM radios. Maybe in the future there will be
an after market auto radio capable of digital AM/FM reception and short
wave DRM digital reception.

Old August 21st 04, 04:09 PM
Dr. Who

What's really bad is.
When I called WOR up in June to ask them, "Where I could get a Digital
Receiver?"
They laughed at me and said. You can go to any Best Buy or Wall-Mart to buy
a radio.
I then said, "I know I can buy any AM radio. But I want to listen to WOR's
digital IBOC.
Then the guy asks, "What's IBOC?". I said that High Def digital radio.
He then says No. We don't broadcast that kind of radio. You need to
subscibe to Satellite radio to listen to digital radio.

Old August 22nd 04, 05:55 PM
Tom Betz

Quoth "Dr. Who" in :

What's really bad is.
When I called WOR up in June to ask them, "Where I could
get a Digital Receiver?"

A quick Froogle search came up with this:

http://etailelectronics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=02624

JVC KDSHX900 In-Dash CD Player

It's the only one I could find.

--
Where was AWOL George W. Bush?

http://www.glcq.com/bush_at_arpc1.htm

Old August 24th 04, 12:48 AM
Dr. Who

How about that price too? You could get a Lif time Subscription from Sirius
Satellite Radio or 5 years of XM for that price.
The only other one I know about is the kenwood IBOC tuner. But you need a
HU to go along with it. I think It's around $800.00 total for the tuner and
HU.

Old September 2nd 04, 10:29 PM
Rich Wood

On 21 Aug 2004 15:09:19 GMT, "Dr. Who" wrote:

Then the guy asks, "What's IBOC?". I said that High Def digital radio.
He then says No. We don't broadcast that kind of radio. You need to
subscibe to Satellite radio to listen to digital radio.

Would you call a radio station and ask the receptionist how many
towers they use? Why would you expect an ordinary employee, not in the
engineering department, to know about IBOC? At this point, it's highly
experimental and not promoted heavily.

I worked at WOR for 10 years. It's a big place with a lot going on. If
you want to know about IBOC, talk to their Director of Engineering,
Tom Ray. He can tell you more than you'll ever remember about the
system.

Rich

Old September 8th 04, 08:01 PM
Scott Dorsey

Rich Wood wrote:
On 21 Aug 2004 15:09:19 GMT, "Dr. Who" wrote:

Then the guy asks, "What's IBOC?". I said that High Def digital radio.
He then says No. We don't broadcast that kind of radio. You need to
subscibe to Satellite radio to listen to digital radio.

Would you call a radio station and ask the receptionist how many
towers they use? Why would you expect an ordinary employee, not in the
engineering department, to know about IBOC? At this point, it's highly
experimental and not promoted heavily.

That's the basic point. Why ISN'T it promoted heavily? And what is the
sense of using it if it isn't?

I worked at WOR for 10 years. It's a big place with a lot going on. If
you want to know about IBOC, talk to their Director of Engineering,
Tom Ray. He can tell you more than you'll ever remember about the
system.

If there's only one guy at the station that really knows anything about
IBOC, how can the man on the street be expected to know anything at all
about it? And if the end user doesn't know anything at all about it, how can
it make money for the station? And if it doesn't make money for the station,
what good is it?
--scott

Old September 8th 04, 08:01 PM
Stereophile22

The U.S. has already roled out terrestrial digital. For quite a long time now,
(several months) WKKY 104.7 FM in Geneva, Ohio has been broadcasting digitally.

They announce it on the air all the time since they started broadcasting
digitally months ago.

Old September 12th 04, 07:00 PM
Mark Howell

On 11 Sep 2004 17:48:54 GMT, Rich Wood
wrote:

There's still a lot of serious controversy about IBOC. A station would
be foolish to promote it heavily until the bugs have been worked out
and they know it's going to fly. At this moment, nothing is certain
and interference could cause the FCC to shut some IBOC services down.

They should shut it all down, but won't, because

In the opinion of those who stand to
make millions with the technology, it's God's gift to radio.

At today's FCC, sound engineering practice is irrelevant. Only money
talks.

Mark Howell

Latest 50's Rock and Roll Shows Online Rockitradio Broadcasting 0 August 14th 04 12:20 AM
What about digital radio? Hal Rosser Antenna 1 July 31st 04 09:34 AM
Dolby Digital decoder Joel Homebrew 0 May 12th 04 11:30 PM
Dolby Digital decoder Joel Homebrew 0 May 12th 04 11:30 PM
Digital voice for HF - Bandplan charlesb Digital 0 November 4th 03 02:05 PM