Old December 11th 06, 10:15 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Off topic vernacular designed to irritate others

Cecils' comment goes directly to the issue.

A WINDOM is a 136 feet long antenna that is fed 36% off center with a SINGLE
WIRE against ground.

No balun is necessary!!

Heck, no coax is necessary; or, no twin lead is necessary! Just a wire.

Anything advertised as a coax fed windom is NOT a WINDOM!!

/s/ DD

John Smith wrote:

Cecil Moore wrote:

Christopher Cox wrote:

On topic, I hope to but up my Windom soon.

Are you using the single wire vertical
feedline that is characteristic of a Windom?

Cecil:

He shouldn't have potted it. Just use a mechanism to remotely remove
the ferrite core at 10 meters and insert if for the lower bands!

Regards,
JS

Old December 11th 06, 10:32 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Dave wrote:
Cecils' comment goes directly to the issue.

A WINDOM is a 136 feet long antenna that is fed 36% off center with a
SINGLE WIRE against ground.

No balun is necessary!!

Heck, no coax is necessary; or, no twin lead is necessary! Just a wire.

Anything advertised as a coax fed windom is NOT a WINDOM!!

/s/ DD

Correction: fed 36% from one end, or 14% off center.

Old December 12th 06, 02:50 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Dave wrote:
Cecils' comment goes directly to the issue.

A WINDOM is a 136 feet long antenna that is fed 36% off center with a
SINGLE WIRE against ground.

No balun is necessary!!

Heck, no coax is necessary; or, no twin lead is necessary! Just a wire.

Anything advertised as a coax fed windom is NOT a WINDOM!!

/s/ DD

Correction: fed 36% from one end, or 14% off center.

You are correct (as was Cecil.)

I think "windom" has a wide use today and most off center fed antennas
are referred to as windom. Obviously, he would be better using the term
"off center fed dipole" as this link points out:

http://www.vk3eg.org/technical/xlwindom/xlwindomhtm.htm

Regards,
JS
Old December 12th 06, 03:02 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Cecil Moore wrote:
Christopher Cox wrote:
No, I am using a 4:1 to feed the horizontal portion of the Windom and
a 1:1 ferrite choke balun 10 feet vertically down from there.

Technically, that's an OCF, off-center-fed dipole.
A Windom antenna is fed with a "single-wire
feeder connected 14% off center", according to my
1957 "The ARRL Radio Amateur's Handbook". Just a
little ham radio trivia FYI.

This all got me thinking, have you ever designed a "Texas Windom?"
serious look

Regards,
JS

Old December 12th 06, 01:50 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

John Smith wrote:
This all got me thinking, have you ever designed a "Texas Windom?"
serious look

50 years ago at Texas A&M, I ran the off-center-fed
dipole fed with 300 ohm TV twinlead through a
Heathkit air-core balun. It was described in my
1955 ARRL Handbook which made the distinction
between a Windom and an OCF.
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com
Old December 12th 06, 04:01 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Cecil Moore wrote:
John Smith wrote:
This all got me thinking, have you ever designed a "Texas Windom?"
serious look

50 years ago at Texas A&M, I ran the off-center-fed
dipole fed with 300 ohm TV twinlead through a
Heathkit air-core balun. It was described in my
1955 ARRL Handbook which made the distinction
between a Windom and an OCF.

Cecil:

I was 3 years old then, you can see why that slipped my area of knowledge!

But, good work OM!

Regards,
JS