Old December 28th 06, 09:45 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Code Free "It's part of the dumbing down of America," accordingto CDC

charlie wrote:
Just to put you venturing into perspective, if you had read the
article in question you would hardly have failed to note that the
lady in question works for an organisation in Michigan:

I can only figure, at this point, with this post of yours, you are claim
no queers live in Michigan. Well sir, it IS my opinion they do ...

JS
Old December 29th 06, 02:04 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.amateur.antenna

wrote:
Stefan Wolfe wrote:

QRZ Search Results: There are 0 records matching +Stefan* +Wolfe*

I guess no one cares that Stefan come on here bitchin and moaning and
crying about the "dumbing down" of USA amateur radio, and he has no
apparent license.

How easily everyone gets fooled by these trolls.

SAN FRANCISCO: It may be the ultimate SOS.

Morse Code is in distress.
While the decision had been expected, some ham radio operators fear that
their exclusive club has been opened to the unwashed masses
- and that the very survival of Morse Code is in question.
The demise of the Morse requirement, however,

There has never been any "Morse Requirement." No particular mode is
mandated.

That's right. And there's no requirement to get on the air once you do
have a license.

could be a boon for ham radio
itself. After the FCC decision, demand for information
about radio licenses surged from about 200 in a typical weekend to about
500, according to the American Radio Relay League, an
organization representing ham radio operators.
"It's part of the dumbing down of America," said Nancy Kott, editor of World
Radio magazine

I suspect that Nancy is actually that grouchy Sterba, Kurt N.

I dunno. Kurt might be anybody.

and a field representative for the
Centers for Disease of Control and Prevention in Metamora, Michigan.

I thought the CDC was in Atlanta and World Radio was in 6-land?

You're right.

"We live in a society today that wants something for nothing."

The written exams are "nothing?"

That's exactly right. That's why it was so important to keep the Morse
Code exam, because the written exams are nothing.

A female in a mostly male radio world, Kott is one of about 660,000 licensed
ham operators in the United States

Another "first."

Well, I dunno.

and is the U.S.
leader of Fists CW Club, an organization that calls itself the International
Morse Preservation Society.

That would make it "IMPS." I thought it called itself "FISTS."

I guess no one wants to be called an "Imps."

... So true, Ms. Kott...

I'm not so easily convinced, Stefan.

Maybe Stefan has some other words of wisdom?

Old December 29th 06, 07:07 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.amateur.antenna

From: on Thurs, Dec 28 2006 6:04 pm

wrote:
Stefan Wolfe wrote:

QRZ Search Results: There are 0 records matching +Stefan* +Wolfe*

I guess no one cares that Stefan come on here bitchin and moaning and
crying about the "dumbing down" of USA amateur radio, and he has no
apparent license.

How easily everyone gets fooled by these trolls.

Maybe he got his given name spelled wrong? Like "Steppin Wolfe?"
:-)

SAN FRANCISCO: It may be the ultimate SOS.

Morse Code is in distress.
While the decision had been expected, some ham radio operators fear that
their exclusive club has been opened to the unwashed masses
- and that the very survival of Morse Code is in question.
The demise of the Morse requirement, however,

There has never been any "Morse Requirement." No particular mode is
mandated.

That's right. And there's no requirement to get on the air once you do
have a license.

Horrors! Isn't Ham Radio ALL about "working DX on HF with CW?"

Why...why...why one HAS to "get on the air" and "work" someone
by morsemanship! "Rite of passage" or some other BS myth...

One just "cannot" be a "ham" without "working someone with CW!"

:-)

could be a boon for ham radio
itself. After the FCC decision, demand for information
about radio licenses surged from about 200 in a typical weekend to about
500, according to the American Radio Relay League, an
organization representing ham radio operators.
"It's part of the dumbing down of America," said Nancy Kott, editor of World
Radio magazine

I suspect that Nancy is actually that grouchy Sterba, Kurt N.

I dunno. Kurt might be anybody.

Kurt Weil? Sterba, Kurtain? :-)

[author-composer of musical "Cabaret" and a famous old wire
antenna of large dimensions once used by the pros...]

and a field representative for the
Centers for Disease of Control and Prevention in Metamora, Michigan.

I thought the CDC was in Atlanta and World Radio was in 6-land?

You're right.

Gosh, I thought "CDC" stood for Control Data Corporation...

"We live in a society today that wants something for nothing."

The written exams are "nothing?"

That's exactly right. That's why it was so important to keep the Morse
Code exam, because the written exams are nothing.

Riiiiight...the ultimate, the ne plus ultra of "radio
operating" is sending-receiving morse code. :-)

Like ANY other radio service ever uses it nowadays for
communications...guffaw

A female in a mostly male radio world, Kott is one of about 660,000 licensed
ham operators in the United States

Another "first."

Well, I dunno.

Nancy Kott is caught up in a "Nancy Kause" of Doing Something
To Preserve The Glory and Honor of Morsemanship."

That "Kause" is doomed...

and is the U.S.
leader of Fists CW Club, an organization that calls itself the International
Morse Preservation Society.

That would make it "IMPS." I thought it called itself "FISTS."

I guess no one wants to be called an "Imps."

"FISTS" carries the emotional baggage of Virility, Strength,
Force, and is very Manly. :-)

Hmmm...that alone makes one wonder about Ms. Kott's motivation?

[now watch the response, Brian, Jimmie Noserve will be in here
with a "you're Wrong" and describe the origin of "FISTS" and
other assorted glories of morsemanship...as if He is the only
"smart" one and all no-coders are imbeciles]

... So true, Ms. Kott...

I'm not so easily convinced, Stefan.

Maybe Stefan has some other words of wisdom?

Maybe that given name is a contraction of **** that hit the fan?

One can only wonder.

Maybe this Stefan is really Mikey Deignan trying to get some new
Club Calls to replace the ones taken away from him? :-)

[the "KH6" is now a resident of Bedford, MA...no longer having a
PO box in Hawaii courtesy of Jeff Herman]

Hmmm...whatever happened to Eric June, the self-appointed
president and director of "Know Code International?" :-)

Old December 29th 06, 12:44 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.amateur.antenna

From: on Thurs, Dec 28 2006 6:04 pm

wrote:
Stefan Wolfe wrote:

QRZ Search Results: There are 0 records matching +Stefan* +Wolfe*

I guess no one cares that Stefan come on here bitchin and moaning and
crying about the "dumbing down" of USA amateur radio, and he has no
apparent license.

How easily everyone gets fooled by these trolls.

Maybe he got his given name spelled wrong? Like "Steppin Wolfe?"
:-)

Very psychodelic. Don't get rug burns from the magic carpet ride.

SAN FRANCISCO: It may be the ultimate SOS.

Morse Code is in distress.
While the decision had been expected, some ham radio operators fear that
their exclusive club has been opened to the unwashed masses
- and that the very survival of Morse Code is in question.
The demise of the Morse requirement, however,

There has never been any "Morse Requirement." No particular mode is
mandated.

That's right. And there's no requirement to get on the air once you do
have a license.

Horrors! Isn't Ham Radio ALL about "working DX on HF with CW?"

That's correct. Anything less than than just makes for a lesser ham.

Why...why...why one HAS to "get on the air" and "work" someone
by morsemanship! "Rite of passage" or some other BS myth...

One just "cannot" be a "ham" without "working someone with CW!"

:-)

"Hams of a Lesser God."

could be a boon for ham radio
itself. After the FCC decision, demand for information
about radio licenses surged from about 200 in a typical weekend to about
500, according to the American Radio Relay League, an
organization representing ham radio operators.
"It's part of the dumbing down of America," said Nancy Kott, editor of World
Radio magazine

I suspect that Nancy is actually that grouchy Sterba, Kurt N.

I dunno. Kurt might be anybody.

Kurt Weil? Sterba, Kurtain? :-)

[author-composer of musical "Cabaret" and a famous old wire
antenna of large dimensions once used by the pros...]

A cranky (OM) who writes antenna books at World Radio.

and a field representative for the
Centers for Disease of Control and Prevention in Metamora, Michigan.

I thought the CDC was in Atlanta and World Radio was in 6-land?

You're right.

Gosh, I thought "CDC" stood for Control Data Corporation...

Isn't Control Data defunct?

"We live in a society today that wants something for nothing."

The written exams are "nothing?"

That's exactly right. That's why it was so important to keep the Morse
Code exam, because the written exams are nothing.

Riiiiight...the ultimate, the ne plus ultra of "radio
operating" is sending-receiving morse code. :-)

Like ANY other radio service ever uses it nowadays for
communications...guffaw

Well, well, well....

A female in a mostly male radio world, Kott is one of about 660,000 licensed
ham operators in the United States

Another "first."

Well, I dunno.

Nancy Kott is caught up in a "Nancy Kause" of Doing Something
To Preserve The Glory and Honor of Morsemanship."

A Priestess in the Church of St. Hiram?

That "Kause" is doomed...

Maybe not doomed...

and is the U.S.
leader of Fists CW Club, an organization that calls itself the International
Morse Preservation Society.

That would make it "IMPS." I thought it called itself "FISTS."

I guess no one wants to be called an "Imps."

"FISTS" carries the emotional baggage of Virility, Strength,
Force, and is very Manly. :-)

Hmmmm? I guess "IMPS" is "OUT."

Hmmm...that alone makes one wonder about Ms. Kott's motivation?

[now watch the response, Brian, Jimmie Noserve will be in here
with a "you're Wrong" and describe the origin of "FISTS" and
other assorted glories of morsemanship...as if He is the only
"smart" one and all no-coders are imbeciles]

Yep. and FISTicuffS was there in WWII helping the effort.

... So true, Ms. Kott...

I'm not so easily convinced, Stefan.

Maybe Stefan has some other words of wisdom?

Maybe that given name is a contraction of **** that hit the fan?

One can only wonder.

Maybe this Stefan is really Mikey Deignan trying to get some new
Club Calls to replace the ones taken away from him? :-)

The RF Commandos are missing in action, but they still have a Club Call
to come back to if they ever have another meeting.

[the "KH6" is now a resident of Bedford, MA...no longer having a
PO box in Hawaii courtesy of Jeff Herman]

People who glom up exotic callsigns having never been to the
location...

Hmmm...whatever happened to Eric June, the self-appointed
president and director of "Know Code International?" :-)

I forgot all about him. And the other guy - Val Germann...

Old December 29th 06, 01:05 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Code Free--CDC had no official part in the statement

If there's anything other than politics and Morse code to argue about,
especially in RRAP, it must be all the disgusting garbage offered by
the resident lunatics and the 45-year long rant that would even turn
the stomachs of the gay people they malign.

Certainly you have a thread about the best new gear that became
available this year or the best influence on the hobby.

At least I cannot get these "posters" if I read a printed radio
magazine.

Old December 29th 06, 05:39 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Mike Coslo wrote in
6:

"merlin-7" wrote in
:

Odd thing that happend in the uk after code was dropped...code useage
went up...
Joe

"Stefan Wolfe" wrote in message
SAN FRANCISCO: It may be the ultimate SOS.

Morse Code is in distress.
While the decision had been expected, some ham radio operators fear
that their exclusive club has been opened to the unwashed masses
- and that the very survival of Morse Code is in question.
The demise of the Morse requirement, however, could be a boon for ham
radio itself. After the FCC decision, demand for information
about radio licenses surged from about 200 in a typical weekend to
about 500, according to the American Radio Relay League, an
organization representing ham radio operators.
"It's part of the dumbing down of America," said Nancy Kott, editor
of

World

The whole quote was:

“It’s part of the dumbing down of America,” said Nancy Kott, editor of
World Radio magazine and a field representative for the Centers for
Disease Control and Prevention in Metamora, Mich. “We live in a society
today that wants something for nothing.”

At what point is the potential Ham Dumb and wanting something
for
nothing?

Was it when they lowered the requirement to 5 wpm for all
license
classes? Speaking of 5wpm, were all Novices dumb and looking for
something for nothing? And were Generals and advanced just dumb enough,
and just looking for something for almost nothing?

I'm just about at the point of thinking that Morse CW use
*will*
increase after the test requirement goes away.

I wonder what type of antennas the new dumb hams will use -
just to
bring this on topic, since it's crossposted to an rraa.

- 73 de Mike KB3EIA

Sure it will. I long ago promised I would have a QSO using CW if the test
was abolished. That's at least one additional QSO.
Old December 29th 06, 07:20 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Steven wrote:
If there's anything other than politics and Morse code to argue about,
especially in RRAP, it must be all the disgusting garbage offered by
the resident lunatics and the 45-year long rant that would even turn
the stomachs of the gay people they malign.

Certainly you have a thread about the best new gear that became
available this year or the best influence on the hobby.

At least I cannot get these "posters" if I read a printed radio
magazine.

It was crossposted with rec.radio.amateur.policy.
Whether you agree with it or not, there's nothing like an OT post to give
credibility (not) to the poster.
This comment was posted *separately* to the two NGs.
Bryan WA7PRC

Old December 29th 06, 08:28 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"merlin-7" wrote in message
Odd thing that happend in the uk after code was dropped...code useage went
up...
Joe

A rather odd statement.

How does one measure "code usage"?

It went "up" compared to what?

It went "up" according to one observer who somehow could simultaneously
monitor all bands everywhere in the UK? Do you also count the code usage of
DX stations communicating with all UK hams or do you only count the UK side
of the QSO's? What was the actual amount of code usage prior to and then
after the elimination of the requirement? How do you express a unit of code
usage? (dits + dahs)/sec/Hz * unit time?

Old December 29th 06, 08:43 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.amateur.antenna

ups.com...
From: on Thurs, Dec 28 2006 6:04 pm

wrote:
Stefan Wolfe wrote:

QRZ Search Results: There are 0 records matching +Stefan* +Wolfe*

I guess no one cares that Stefan come on here bitchin and moaning and
crying about the "dumbing down" of USA amateur radio, and he has no
apparent license.

How easily everyone gets fooled by these trolls.

Maybe he got his given name spelled wrong? Like "Steppin Wolfe?"
:-)
Maybe this Stefan is really Mikey Deignan trying to get some new
Club Calls to replace the ones taken away from him? :-)

[the "KH6" is now a resident of Bedford, MA...no longer having a
PO box in Hawaii courtesy of Jeff Herman]

Hmmm...whatever happened to Eric June, the self-appointed
president and director of "Know Code International?" :-)

Hey Len, you've been flaming code on these groups since at least 1996...I
can still remember when you got on the rec.radio groups the first time.
Somehow, as a brilliant electronics engineer you were never able to master
the skill of sending and receiving letters represented as dits and dahs and
this kept you off HF...but you always had vastly superior academic skills
in the field of RF that fact seemed to make the skill of simple Morse
communication seem so irrelevant in today's modern world.

Now you no longer need that skill and the doors have swung open. Does that
mean you will make yourself and your brilliant mind available to the
unwashed masses of hams who only know how to pound keys? Will you now be
getting your extra class and dazzling us with new ideas and inventions that
will forever modernize the amateur modes, you know, the sort of achievements
you always said would be possible if only they got rid of that nasty Morse
test?

We will all be waiting Len.

Old December 29th 06, 10:51 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Just one note...I passed my code test and have not used it since. I am not
saying that I will never use it. I just have not had any interest in it yet.
Does it make me a better ham haveing passed code?

Joe

You'll probably never have to use CW to save a life. Slow Code Policy 189 December 14th 06 10:46 AM
What is the ARRL's thought on having good amateurs? Slow Code General 144 November 3rd 06 12:55 AM
a great read Happy camper CB 1 November 19th 04 02:51 PM
Why You Don't Like The ARRL Louis C. LeVine CB 188 January 6th 04 06:05 PM