Old December 31st 06, 01:50 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Code Free "It's part of the dumbing down of America," according to CDC

From: on Sat, Dec 30 2006 3:42 am

(snip of wordy rant)

AS IF Miccolis is 'never' wordy... :-)

I like the one where he goes on and on and on about Amateur
contributions during WWII, when everyone know that the gubmn't shut
down amateur radio during WWII. None-the-Less, he goes on and on and
on about it.

Last night I did a quick copy of the
All-Time Posters on RRAP and here is what they had for 28
Dec 06:

-me- 6,191

No, Len, that number is way too low.

Google provided it. I just copied the numbers that Google
put up of the TOP TEN. shrug

Miccolis says the Top Ten listing is "wrong." That's a NEW
territory of criticsm for him! :-)

The WORST I can be accused of is being incomplete. :-)

Miccolis cribs license class totals from the AH0A website
and implies they are "his" since he NEVER shows the origin
of his data. shrug

If your ability to count *your own postings* results in a number that
is so inaccurate, why should anyone trust your counts of other things?

If I had "counted my own postings" I would have done so and
listed all my 'handles' (screennames). :-)

If your ability to represent your own history of posting to rrap is so
error-filled, why should anyone trust your recounting of other history?

Jim, would you mind tallying up all of your postings under all of your
screen names?

Thanks a bunch.

Brian, you're asking the impossible! :-)

NOT impossible. He's merely unwilling. ;^)

"Quitefine" will never admit it. Nun of the Above is NEVER wrong!

Happy New Year,

Happy New Year.

Old December 31st 06, 01:55 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.amateur.antenna

From: on Sat, Dec 30 2006 3:42 am

Last night I did a quick copy of the
All-Time Posters on RRAP and here is what they had for 28
Dec 06:

-me- 6,191

No, Len, that number is way too low.

Google provided it. I just copied the numbers that Google
put up of the TOP TEN. shrug

It's inaccurate. You did not interrogate Google correctly, and so the
number you gave is much lower than the actual number.

If you can't be accurate, why should anyone trust you?

says the Top Ten listing is "wrong."

Nope.

I'm saying *you* are giving a number that is very inaccurate. 6,191 is
a lot less than 10,993.

That's a NEW
territory of criticsm for him! :-)

"Criticsm"?

The WORST I can be accused of is being incomplete. :-)

In error is more like it.

cribs license class totals from the AH0A website
and implies they are "his" since he NEVER shows the origin
of his data. shrug

No, that is not correct.

The totals I post every two weeks do not come from AH0A.

I have posted my source here. You are either too lazy or too
incompetent to find it ;-)

If your ability to count *your own postings* results in a number that
is so inaccurate, why should anyone trust your counts of other things?

If I had "counted my own postings" I would have done so and
listed all my 'handles' (screennames). :-)

But you didn't. That means you intentionally posted a number that was
too low.

Some would say you tried to deceive us.

If your ability to represent your own history of posting to rrap is so
error-filled, why should anyone trust your recounting of other history?

Jim, would you mind tallying up all of your postings under all of your
screen names?

Thanks a bunch.

Brian, you're asking the impossible! :-)

Not impossible at all. Just unlikely.

So why should anyone trust anything you say when you run around
tallying up everyones posting totals except your own? Personal
opinion: you can't be trusted. ;^)

Old December 31st 06, 02:43 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.amateur.antenna

All this stuff about dumbing down America is garbage. This lady works
for the CDC and has this kind of attitude? Thats scary. By the same
token, I guess a physician is less of a doctor, is 'dumb' because he
uses an MRI to make a diagnosis rather than cutting someone open for
exploratory surgery.
Telegraphy (in its simplest form, smoke signals) has been around
for thousands of years, keys for a bit over 200. Its time to move on
people.
CW is a nice skill to have, as are woodworking, horseback riding
and knitting. But not one of them is relevant to life in the 21st
century. not even a little bit. If everyone with those abilities fell
off the planet right now, the world would hardly notice the loss. Thats
just the way it is. Amatuer Radio operators can be innovators that
move along with the times and embrace new opportunities (as we have
done for the most part) or we can keep crying about how things were in
the good old days and become (extinct) dinosaurs.
Now if you will excuse me I need to start studying for my General.

Stefan Wolfe wrote:
SAN FRANCISCO: It may be the ultimate SOS.

Morse Code is in distress.
While the decision had been expected, some ham radio operators fear that
their exclusive club has been opened to the unwashed masses
- and that the very survival of Morse Code is in question.
The demise of the Morse requirement, however, could be a boon for ham radio
itself. After the FCC decision, demand for information
about radio licenses surged from about 200 in a typical weekend to about
500, according to the American Radio Relay League, an
organization representing ham radio operators.
"It's part of the dumbing down of America," said Nancy Kott, editor of World
Radio magazine and a field representative for the
Centers for Disease of Control and Prevention in Metamora, Michigan. "We
live in a society today that wants something for nothing."

A female in a mostly male radio world, Kott is one of about 660,000 licensed
ham operators in the United States and is the U.S.
leader of Fists CW Club, an organization that calls itself the International
Morse Preservation Society.

... So true, Ms. Kott...

Old December 31st 06, 04:50 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.policy,rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"DaveC" wrote in message Now if you will excuse me I
need to start studying for my General.

Good one Dave. When you start "studying" for your general you will see how
dumbed down and simple it is and you might marvel at why the QPC would have
ever even bothered to commit such a "test" to publication. It may also occur
to you that, as the the Geico commercial says, it is so easy a caveman could
do it. Actually I would move back perhaps 25 millions earlier in the
evolutionary cycle and say it is so easy, even a monkey could do it.

And monkeys it will be.

The new Monkey General class :-)

You'll probably never have to use CW to save a life. Slow Code Policy 189 December 14th 06 10:46 AM
What is the ARRL's thought on having good amateurs? Slow Code General 144 November 3rd 06 12:55 AM
a great read Happy camper CB 1 November 19th 04 02:51 PM
Why You Don't Like The ARRL Louis C. LeVine CB 188 January 6th 04 06:05 PM