Old January 24th 07, 05:10 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Local station bad harmonics on 80 meters

80 is basically useless. 3400 and 4000 I have a Pegged meter WFM signal
from 1380kc station here. I have mini harmonics ever 200kc that
basically makes 80meters unusable Its really annoying and the station
says they had their equipment recertified 2 months ago

Is there a place I can report this in the FCC?

The antenna is about 10 miles from me. And they are running 5kw.

They are planning and have approval for 50KW now and Im worried that
160 and 80 and possibly 40 could me useless.

Thanks
Scotty W7PSK.
Old January 24th 07, 05:28 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

R. Scott wrote:
80 is basically useless. 3400 and 4000 I have a Pegged meter WFM signal
from 1380kc station here. I have mini harmonics ever 200kc that
basically makes 80meters unusable Its really annoying and the station
says they had their equipment recertified 2 months ago

Is there a place I can report this in the FCC?

The antenna is about 10 miles from me. And they are running 5kw.

They are planning and have approval for 50KW now and Im worried that
160 and 80 and possibly 40 could me useless.

Thanks
Scotty W7PSK.

You can simply send a letter to the FCC in Washington DC. However there
might not be anything they can do.
Some years ago a radio station in Marion IN was causing interferance to
amateur radio ops in the area. It seemed that there was a spur that fell
in the middle of the affected ham band. When the FCC inspected the
instalation they measured the spur and determined that it was below the
maximum power limit for such emissions. The result was the hams had to
suffer due to a totally legal emission.

Dave WD9BDZ
Old January 24th 07, 05:31 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"R. Scott" ) writes:
80 is basically useless. 3400 and 4000 I have a Pegged meter WFM signal
from 1380kc station here. I have mini harmonics ever 200kc that
basically makes 80meters unusable Its really annoying and the station
says they had their equipment recertified 2 months ago

This is hardly an antenna issue.

You do realize that it may not be the transmitter?

If your receiver (and you don't specify what it is) hasn't got
good strong signal-handling, the station may be overloading it
and causing the junk. And at first glance, it wouldn't be
obvious whether it's the receiver or the transmitter.

Try a different receiver.

Put an attenuator between your receiver and antenna, and see
what happens to those signals when you increase attenuation. If
it's overloadig, there will be a point where the unwanted signals
go away that can't be accounted for by the actual attenuation.

Borrow a spectrum analyzer, which should stand up well to strong
signals since it wouldn't be much use otherwise, and see what signals
are arriving at your antenna. If you do see signals that are traceable
to the broadcast station, then likely they do have a problem. But if
not, it's your receiver.

And it may not even be the receiver. There could be something acting
as a rectifier, that is picking up the transmiter signal and generating
harmonics for your receiver to pickup. A rusty rain gutter, or
a bad connection on an antenna, obviously something nearby.

You have no reason to doubt the station's word, especially since
they do have the rules to follow, and likely are in a worse
position than a ham with a bad signal. You are expecting the
transmitter to blame because you can't imagine your receiver
is at fault. But until you can actually rule out the latter,
you have no real reason to blame the transmitter.

Michael VE2BVW

Old January 24th 07, 06:47 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Michael Black wrote:

You do realize that it may not be the transmitter?

If your receiver (and you don't specify what it is) hasn't got
good strong signal-handling, the station may be overloading it
and causing the junk. And at first glance, it wouldn't be
obvious whether it's the receiver or the transmitter.

Excellent suggestion. Try a high pass filter passing everything above
1710 to see if you have an improvement.

At least then you will have a good indication if it is a problem of
receiver overloading or not ...

If you are using a transceiver as opposed to a separate receiver/xmitter
(I know, I am an OT) you can use an rf switch to cut out the filter on
xmit to "cure" the problem.

Regards,
JS
Old January 24th 07, 07:45 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Tue, 23 Jan 2007 21:10:38 -0800, "R. Scott"
wrote:

80 is basically useless. 3400 and 4000 I have a Pegged meter WFM signal
from 1380kc station here. I have mini harmonics ever 200kc that
basically makes 80meters unusable Its really annoying and the station
says they had their equipment recertified 2 months ago

Hi OM,

Sounds like IF images from a front-end overload. Build yourself a 6
or 8 pole Hi pass filter to the antenna input.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

Old January 24th 07, 08:44 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

80 is basically useless. 3400 and 4000 I have a Pegged meter WFM signal
from 1380kc station here. I have mini harmonics ever 200kc that basically
makes 80meters unusable Its really annoying and the station says they had
their equipment recertified 2 months ago

Perhaps it is different in the US, but are not MW stations AM?

Jeff

Old January 24th 07, 08:48 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Wed, 24 Jan 2007 08:44:11 -0000, "Jeff" wrote:

Perhaps it is different in the US, but are not MW stations AM?

Hi Jeff,

Some are digital (but still AM ..um perhaps)

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

Old January 24th 07, 01:15 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Get the AM Brickwall Filter by PAR... It will attenuate the AM signal
-40dB at the front end of the radio will should go a long ways towards
cleaning up your receiver...
Since you have a single station to contend with, talk to Paul at PAR
and he will build you one with specific tuning for that station...

denny / k8do