Old May 8th 07, 12:46 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default MIME type for .EZ files?

Roy Lewallen wrote:
EZNEC .EZ files are binary files, and can be handled like any other
binary file.

Here is the latest request from 1and1.com. Please stop the
sandbagging and just answer their question.

"Ask them to give you the actual MIME Type declaration."
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com
Old May 8th 07, 01:39 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Cecil Moore wrote:

Would you please contact and get this problem
solved?

Cecil:

This link:

http://www.alvestrand.no/ietf/media-types.html

you may find interesting ...

Regards,
JS
Old May 8th 07, 01:52 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

John Smith I wrote:

Cecil:

This link:

http://www.alvestrand.no/ietf/media-types.html

you may find interesting ...

Regards,
JS

Further ...

As Roy states, .ez are binary ... so, perhaps ".bin
application/x-binary" would be suitable (just guessing here.)

However, the gods which be disdain posting of binaries to r.r.a.a 8-)

So, maybe we should create rec.radio.amateur.binary ... would be kinda
handy really, we could have pics of babes holding our antennas!
innocent-look ;-)

Regards,
JS
Old May 8th 07, 02:07 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

John Smith I wrote:
Cecil: This link:
http://www.alvestrand.no/ietf/media-types.html
you may find interesting ...

John, I'm a hardware-type guy. What's the bottom line?
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com
Old May 8th 07, 02:12 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

John Smith I wrote:
As Roy states, .ez are binary ... so, perhaps ".bin

I don't really care what the solution is as long
as the solution gets implemented. Are we going to
ask everyone to rename antenna.bin to antenna.ez
before they can use it with EZNEC? Why does qsl.net
handle .EZ files properly and 1and1.com doesn't?
As a simple user, this should NOT be my problem.
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com

Old May 8th 07, 02:24 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Cecil Moore wrote:
John Smith I wrote:
Cecil: This link:
http://www.alvestrand.no/ietf/media-types.html
you may find interesting ...

John, I'm a hardware-type guy. What's the bottom line?

Cecil:

Sorry ... well, it looks like Roy should petition to have ".ez file
type" registered with IANA as something like:

..ez application/x-binary

however, I am guessing. But looks like something Roy should do alright
.... I have never had to deal with this before ...

Regards,
JS
Old May 8th 07, 04:31 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Tue, 08 May 2007 01:59:38 GMT, Cecil Moore
wrote:

Danny Richardson wrote:
I have no idea what you problem is. I've upload an *.EZ on my site and
I am using 1and1.

OK, then, why doesn't it work for me? All I want is
a solution, not a lot of hand-waving.

Did you try the link I gave? If you did and weren't prompted as to
saving the file then I suggest something is screwed up with your
browser as I had no problems what-so-ever.

Anyone else care to try it? http://k6mhe.com/sub/VERT1.EZ

Danny

Old May 8th 07, 05:04 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

wrote:

Danny Richardson wrote:
I have no idea what you problem is. I've upload an *.EZ on my site and
I am using 1and1.

OK, then, why doesn't it work for me? All I want is
a solution, not a lot of hand-waving.

Did you try the link I gave? If you did and weren't prompted as to
saving the file then I suggest something is screwed up with your
browser as I had no problems what-so-ever.

Anyone else care to try it? http://k6mhe.com/sub/VERT1.EZ

Danny

Danny,

I tried your link, and it worked fine. I am using Firefox, and I got the
option to either download the file or to open with EZNEC. (I guess I
must have told my browser about EZNEC at some point.)

I got the same behavior from Cecil's qsl.net file.

73,
Gene
W4SZ
Old May 8th 07, 05:38 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Cecil Moore wrote in news:3eM%h.21261$Um6.16572
@newssvr12.news.prodigy.net:

The 1and1.com server that I subscribe to for w5dxp.com
will not process the .EZ files generated by EZNEC. I
received this reply from :

I have no idea what "process" means. In my experience, IT people use the
term to describe something they don't understand in more detail.

If the intimation is that your HSP won't allow you to load arbitrary
files on your webspace for HTTP access, you need another HSP. Better HSPs
will allow you to write your own .htaccess files under Apache and set up
your own associations specific to the directory or tree... if that is
your want.

"In order to get thee working, we need to have the MIME
type for the .EZ file extension installed on the server.
To do this, please contact the company that created the
EZ filetype and ask them to provide to you the MIME type
type for that extension. Let us know what it is so we
can add it."

"get thee working" is also not self explanatory.

The usual reason that you would set up an association of extension and
MIME type on a server is for special handling or to supply extended
headers to a browser. The browser doesn't need the headers, it should
consider the headers, and in the absence of a type header, the extension
(Win only) to determine what action to take when such a document is
received.

That leaves me in a quandary. The author of EZNEC has
ploinked me, asked me not to send him emails, and therefore
I have zero customer support for EZNEC. Could someone reply
to this posting so w7el will see it and, hopefully, put aside
his personal vendetta long enough to answer the customer
service question which not only affects my web page but
also the w2du.com web page?

Don't you ever let a chance go by, go by!

The lack of detail on the "w2du.com problem" leaves one guessing.

Owen

Old May 8th 07, 07:38 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

wrote:

Danny Richardson wrote:
I have no idea what you problem is. I've upload an *.EZ on my site and
I am using 1and1.

OK, then, why doesn't it work for me? All I want is
a solution, not a lot of hand-waving.

Did you try the link I gave? If you did and weren't prompted as to
saving the file then I suggest something is screwed up with your
browser as I had no problems what-so-ever.

Anyone else care to try it? http://k6mhe.com/sub/VERT1.EZ

Danny

I just tried it and I got the box Run, Save, or Cancel so nothing wrong there.
Dave Foreman

csv files labtech_one Shortwave 3 April 26th 07 12:02 PM
FA: Amplex Model "C" Tube Type Radio - Antique Type - Quite Old !LP Swap 0 October 9th 04 08:58 PM
New Files David Fuller Scanner 0 March 1st 04 06:13 AM
Pro 92 SPG files rjj Scanner 1 January 6th 04 03:26 PM
.EZ files to .N4W files conversion Martin Antenna 1 August 11th 03 12:01 AM