Old June 10th 07, 09:57 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Holt melt glue as potting agent ?

On Sun, 10 Jun 2007 17:23:40 -0400, "merlin-7"
wrote:

One problem, maybe....

The hardener for fiberglass resin is methyl ethyl keytone peroxide it
reacts with the cobalt in the resin.

I use a lot of MEKP and Cobalt with Vinyl Ester Resin (Dow Derakane)
in building an airplane,
http://www.rogerhalstead.com/G3_files/GIII_Diary.htm but I've not seem
"or smelled" it in epoxies. Once mixed it has a very sharp smell. The
Cobalt is a "promoter" and the MEKP is a catalyst. Nasty stuff on bare
skin. MEKP and Cobalt have a bad disposition if they get together.
Keep well apart. Derakane has a much lower viscosity than most
epoxies.

OTOH the West System Epoxy sure does get hot when it decides its time
to cure and you don't need to wear a mask for organic fumes.

I have no idea of what that would do on a circuit board. I do know however,

Both work just fine, but while you can change your mind with the hot
melt glue it's difficult to do with the resin and epoxy.

Sand and fill, sand and fill...fill and sand, fill and sand...

that fiberglass panels work well as insulators.
, Having built boats for 18 years , I have some large panels (cutouts from
building boats) that I use at the feed point, for (multi wire) parallel
dipoles.
FRP- fiberglass reinforced plastic ..makes a good insulator and it
extremely strong.

And very sensitive to UV light unless protected.
Old June 10th 07, 10:23 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

One problem, maybe....

The hardener for fiberglass resin is methyl ethyl keytone peroxide it
reacts with the cobalt in the resin.
I have no idea of what that would do on a circuit board. I do know however,
that fiberglass panels work well as insulators.
, Having built boats for 18 years , I have some large panels (cutouts from
building boats) that I use at the feed point, for (multi wire) parallel
dipoles.
FRP- fiberglass reinforced plastic ..makes a good insulator and it
extremely strong.

"Jim - NN7K" wrote in message
. net...
One other posibility , tho never tried it, is the
repair kit (fiberglass), for boat hulls, kind of
an epoxy resin, might also work, tho obviously
more expensive. Just a suggestion-- Jim NN7k

Nick wrote:
Hi Henry,

Thanks for that - I will see if it affects the signal / SWR if I
place it next to the aerial as well then.

Cheers

potting compound canarchy Homebrew 1 November 26th 04 04:05 AM
FS: Pierson-Holt KE-93 Power supply Ade Weiss Boatanchors 2 November 8th 04 02:50 AM