Old June 16th 07, 10:22 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default From OP: Vertical Or Yagi ? New Antenna Worth Trying ?

"John Smith I" wrote in message
John Smith I wrote:

In my opinion, a 5/8 vertical should be set up to be a complete
antenna, which means it needs 5/8 on the "other" side..

Obviously, OCF antennas must set you off also.

JS

Yes, they are certainly counter-intuitive ... there is form and
beauty in symmetry alright.

JS

....and how about OFC antennas ?

Nick

Old June 16th 07, 02:50 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Nick wrote:

JS

...and how about OFC antennas ?

Nick

Surprisingly functional? An ugly duckling?

JS

Old June 16th 07, 03:13 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default New Antenna Worth Trying ?

"Jerry Martes" wrote in message

"Robert11" wrote in message
. ..
Hi,

I have a Uniden 996 scanner and would really like to pick up some marine
traffic from Boston Harbor.
Live about 20 miles due west of the harbor.

Have a Scantenna antenna which I think is "pretty good". It's up in my
attic.

It's omni directional, and broadband over the typical scanner ranges
(supposedly).

I can often pick up coast guard conversations, but very rarely (but
ooccassionally) ship traffic.

Do you think a dedicated, very directional, and tuned to the marine
freq's would help, or am I just too far away ?

Any thoughts on, or antenna suggestions would be most appreciated.
No idea what to buy, if you feel it's worth a try ?

Very interested in the AIS data being transmitted by ships at around 162
MHz, as well as general marine stuff.

BTW: really surprised that I hear the CG at all. I would have thought
that their antennas would be "focused" out to sea, with any propagation
going the other way (towards me) minimized to maximize the effectiveness
of their radiated power in the direction that it's needed.

Thoughts ?

Thanks,
Bob

Hi Bob

Do you want to try building your own antenna? If so, I'd think a simple
antenna like a J-pole ( http://www.hamuniverse.com/jpole.html ) would be
worth trying.

Jerry

Yes it is worth trying. I can pick a telemetry transmitter nearly 30 miles
away that only puts out about 5 watts on just above 400Mhz. There are 2
transmitters there and I can only pick up one .The one I cant pick up has
its antenna at about 20ft above the ground , the other is a 50 ft. Just an
example of what a difference heigth makes.

Jimmie

What's It Worth? YBZ Shortwave 13 December 1st 05 06:14 PM
Really low SWRs but is it worth trimming the antenna Blue Dawg Antenna 11 July 13th 05 06:00 PM
dual cb antenna is it worth the trouble [email protected] Antenna 4 July 20th 04 06:34 PM
Worth-More 600 SS Amp kf5kf Equipment 0 July 14th 04 07:34 AM
FS: Worth-More 600 SS KF5KF General 0 June 2nd 04 04:07 AM