Old November 15th 05, 01:36 AM
YBZ

Default What's It Worth?

For the few short years I've been involved with Shortwave radios, I've
read from numerous sources that the Sony 2010 is either compared to the
second coming of Christ or a good radio that's possibly overrated.

I see on eBay that there is a "out of the box" 2010 that is currently
going for less than $200 US.

What is this radio worth? What did it cost when it first came out? Is
it worth it?

It seems alot of you either have one already, and would never give it
up.

Old November 15th 05, 01:48 AM

If you can buy that Sony 2010 radio for about $200.00 and if it works
properly,Snap it up!
cuhulin

Old November 15th 05, 03:18 AM
Brian Denley

YBZ wrote:
For the few short years I've been involved with Shortwave radios, I've
read from numerous sources that the Sony 2010 is either compared to
the second coming of Christ or a good radio that's possibly overrated.

I see on eBay that there is a "out of the box" 2010 that is currently
going for less than $200 US.

What is this radio worth? What did it cost when it first came out?
Is it worth it?

It seems alot of you either have one already, and would never give it
up.

It's probably worth about $200 based on performance. When it was
discontinued the prices got unreasonable. That radio is NOT worth $300 or
more, except to collectors

--
Brian Denley

Old November 15th 05, 03:20 AM
Unrevealed Source

I had one but gave it up, and that's ironically what got me started back
into radio listening and (now) collecting.

Mine was bought new, and while it had good performance (universally agreed)
it just wasn't as much fun as the DX-160 I had as a kid. So it sat in a
closet, and I dragged it out every couple of years to see if I would catch
the bug again. I didn't. Sure, I also dragged it out when we had a power
outage and I took it on a couple of camping trips, but it wasn't the kind of
radio that made you want to just sit with and scan for what you could find.
So I sold it on eBay.

Realizing that I now needed another battery-powered radio for emergencies, I
set out to buy an inexpensive yet servicable replacement. The rest, as many
will tell you, is familiar history. One radio led to another and then
another, and now I do indeed find myself enjoying the hobby again. As for
me, I've never been tempted to buy another 2010. It has no soul, no
character.

Just my opinion.

oups.com...

Old November 15th 05, 03:34 AM

YBZ wrote:
For the few short years I've been involved with Shortwave radios, I've
read from numerous sources that the Sony 2010 is either compared to the
second coming of Christ or a good radio that's possibly overrated.

I see on eBay that there is a "out of the box" 2010 that is currently
going for less than $200 US.

What is this radio worth? What did it cost when it first came out? Is
it worth it?

It seems alot of you either have one already, and would never give it
up.

I bought one new many years ago. Sensitivity was excellent, but
selectivity was terrible using the WIDE setting, and the NARROW setting
made the sound too muddy for me. I was disappointed with it and got
rid of it. My Grundig 650 had sensitivity about as good, but the
selectivity on the 650 was superior to the Sony even though the Sony
had selectable sideband sync detector. Listening was a pleasure on the
650 and a pain using the 2010.

Old November 15th 05, 03:48 AM

Unrevealed Source wrote:
Mine was bought new, and while it had good performance (universally agreed)
it just wasn't as much fun as the DX-160 I had as a kid.

I had the same feeling when I "graduated" from my Ocean Hopper to my
Kinght R-100. In hindsight, I was using my OH at a sunspot peak, and
it was close to a minimum when I got my R-100.

Old November 15th 05, 04:13 AM

There was a Sony 2010 radio that sold on ebay for over seven hundred
dollars a few months ago.
cuhulin

Old November 15th 05, 11:55 PM
sonyfunai

If the auction isn't over, chances are it will sell for more than $200.
Prices can easily move $100 or more in the last few minutes of an auction.

I have seen "out of box" average condition 2010s sell for under $250 on Ebay
recently. Have also seen quite a few 2010s offered at hamfests for $125-$175
during the last year. Saw one for $150 in the original box with everything
and nobody was jumping on it immediately. Depends upon how much you can
spend and if you want it now without shopping around, but $200 to $250 for a
nice used one on Ebay isn't all that terrible.

The 2010 isn't the best radio ever made, but it comes pretty darn close.

oups.com...

Old November 24th 05, 05:56 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF

BD - Oh No... I Paid Too Much ! ~ RHF

If the item is still being made and can be bought in a Discount Store
or Discounted OnLine.

The figure about 75% of the average OnLine Price or 70% of the Store
Price
as the Highest Bid on eBay.

Also factor in the Cost of Shipping when buying on eBay.

The Returned Items that C. Crane Co. puts up for sale on eBay
often go for nearly as much as the new items which come with
Free Shipping when bought directly from Crane. The items that
you buy on eBay from Crane require that you Pay for the Shipping.

The best deals from C. Crane Co. can usually be found in the
Orphans WebPages = www.ccrane.com/orphans.aspx

jm2cw ~ RHF

Old Icom R-70: Mods Worth It? David Stinson Shortwave 0 April 3rd 05 12:34 AM
fast easy cash. very worth it masatosan Policy 0 February 19th 05 08:57 AM
fast easy cash. very worth it masatosan Swap 0 February 19th 05 08:56 AM
ITS WORTH LOOKING AT masatosan Antenna 0 February 19th 05 07:19 AM
Whats a Brand New Kenwood TL-922A Worth? N4ATS Swap 17 March 24th 04 04:14 PM