Old February 10th 04, 01:44 PM
Yuri Blanarovich

If I remember right, diathermy operated around 11m. I remember
hearing them when I was in high school.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Was there problem or any negative effects from diathermy?

Yuri
Old February 10th 04, 03:14 PM
Mike Andrews

Yuri Blanarovich wrote:

If I remember right, diathermy operated around 11m. I remember
hearing them when I was in high school.

Was there problem or any negative effects from diathermy?

Back when I had a particularly nasty sinus infection while I was an
undergraduate, I got my frontal sinuses diathermied to loosen the
guck in the sinuses. Worked a treat, and I haven't noticed any ill
effects -- except the green tentacles at the corners of my mouth.

--
Most people aren't thought about after they're gone. "I wonder where
Bob got the plutonium" is better than most get.
Old February 12th 04, 11:10 PM
Cecil Moore

Yuri Blanarovich wrote:
Was there problem or any negative effects from diathermy?

I know someone who had diathermy and died 50 years later.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old February 13th 04, 12:03 AM
Mike Coslo

Yuri Blanarovich wrote:
How about all the people who once swore by diathermy treatments
offered by many doctors? Are they still available?
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

I dunno. Ask them?
I am using magnetothermia and it helps.

Hot magnets??? ;^)

- Mike KB3EIA -

Old February 13th 04, 12:39 AM
Yuri Blanarovich

I know someone who had diathermy and died 50 years later.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

At age of 95?
Seriously, are there any known ill effects from diathermy?

Yuri

Old February 13th 04, 02:17 PM
John Passaneau

"Yuri Blanarovich" wrote in message

I know someone who had diathermy and died 50 years later.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

At age of 95?
Seriously, are there any known ill effects from diathermy?

Yuri

The eyes and gonads are two part of the body that most sensitive to
microwave radiation. So unless going blind and sterile is not a problem,
diathermy is not a good idea.

--
John Passaneau W3JXP
State College Pa

This mail is a natural product. The slight variations in spelling and
grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to
be considered flaws or defects.

Old February 13th 04, 02:38 PM
Cecil Moore

John Passaneau wrote:
The eyes and gonads are two part of the body that most sensitive to
microwave radiation. So unless going blind and sterile is not a problem,
diathermy is not a good idea.

Diathermy in the 50's was HF, not microwave.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old February 13th 04, 04:41 PM
Richard Harrison

Cecil, W5DXP wrote:
"I know someone who had diathermy and died 50 years later."

50 years ago I had already spent 5 years working in broadcast
transmitter plants and was then working in what was thought to be the
world`s largest combination of high power shortwave transmitters and
antennas.

I had an ear come in contact with a fully modulated 50 KW signal on one
of the transmission lines. It was shouting the Polish language right
into my ear which burned to a crisp. I`m glad it wasn`t carrying one of
our higher powered transmitters at the time.

I`m still alive after all manner of exposure to radiation from low KHz
to GHz for prolonged periods. After the shortwave plant experience, I
became father of 4 healthy children. I don`t take pills, haven`t had a
doctor for decades, and hike 3 miles a day. Radio frequency exposure may
be therapeutic, but beware ultraviolet.

My friend, Norman Olstad, W5OQJ, was a cinema projectionist suffering
from a severe chest cold. He decided to bake it out with the projector`s
carbon arc. He exposed his chest to direct radiation from the arc during
the evening shift at the theater.

Norman pulled the big switch, locked up the cinema, and went home to bed
at the end of his shift. Next morning he was dead in bed. Examiner said
he had been ultraviolated to death.

We may need an ozone layer for protection from ultraviolet.

Best regards, Richard Harrison, KB5WZI

Old February 13th 04, 08:39 PM
'Doc

jj,
No ill affects. Pick something else to worry
about.
'Doc
Old February 13th 04, 08:49 PM
John Passaneau

"Cecil Moore" wrote in message
John Passaneau wrote:
The eyes and gonads are two part of the body that most sensitive to
microwave radiation. So unless going blind and sterile is not a problem,
diathermy is not a good idea.

Diathermy in the 50's was HF, not microwave.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

That's interesting. The only diathermy machine I've ever seen worked at
about 5GHz. It had a jointed metal arm with interchangeable dish and horn
antennas that were changed to fit the body part you wanted to heat. The arm
was a wave guide to get the power from the generator to the antenna. It
worked quite well for heating the body. I'm not sure how HF range RF would
do at heating the body though. I used to work with a 50KW induction heater
that ran at about 500KHz and it would heat my belt buckle but not me, at
least not directly. Thinking about I do remember seeing a picture of someone
using a diathermy machine with a coil warped around the body, so maybe it
could be done at HF. The eyes and gonads are most sensitive to RF as they
are the organs that are most exposed on the body with the highest water
content. That's why things with little water do not get hot in a microwave
oven. The microwaves are exciting the water monocles, and excited monocles
are hot monocles.

--
John Passaneau, W3JXP
Penn State University

Long Wire Balun Cecil Moore Antenna 16 February 25th 04 01:26 AM
randon wire newbie question lethal Antenna 4 February 7th 04 11:01 AM
Open Wire Feeder Switching Ideas ? DOUGLAS SNOWDEN Antenna 4 December 30th 03 07:37 PM
Any Good Or Useful For Listening Only ?: WiNRADiO WR-LWA-0130 Long Wire Antenna Adapter Robert11 Antenna 1 November 6th 03 03:47 AM
Opinions please G5 against long wire against windom? Chris Bartlett Antenna 1 July 31st 03 11:15 PM