Old August 5th 07, 01:25 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default 2L Steppir or 2L Cubical quad

Tks to read.

What is the best choice for 5 bands (10 to 20m) : 2L Steppir or 2L cubical
quad ?

What do you think about this ?..... It is for my holidays home...

Nice to read you ... Tks to all

Best 73/DX

Frank

Old August 5th 07, 02:23 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

What is the best choice for 5 bands (10 to 20m) : 2L Steppir or 2L cubical
quad ?

SteppIR. In fact the 3 element is even better, and the 4 element is better
than the 3 element.

Rick K2XT
Old August 5th 07, 02:49 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Rick bracht volgend idée uit :
What is the best choice for 5 bands (10 to 20m) : 2L Steppir or 2L cubical
quad ?

SteppIR. In fact the 3 element is even better, and the 4 element is better
than the 3 element.

Rick K2XT

Or the ultimate : The MonstIR

--
grtz johan

Old August 5th 07, 05:56 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Not an easy question. I have used both a 2L quad (Cubix) and a 3L SteppIR.

Although I cannot quantify it, I felt the quad was a better receiving
antenna for dealing with very weak signals. (This was with separate feeds
for each band.) The Cubix was well built, with good fiberglass spreaders.
However, even at its best, a quad is a physical challenge. It is a large
three-dimensional structure that can be very difficult for one person to
handle. The SteppIR is a two-dimensional object and much easier to handle.

My quad had a remote switch (Amertron) to switch one feed coax to each of
the five elements. This required a control cable for the switch. The SteppIR
needs a control cable for the stepping motors. They are about even in this
respect. The quad can be turned (and stopped) by a slightly smaller rotor.

My choice was the SteppIR on a crank-down/crank-over tower. In the long run,
the ease of maintenance (and playing with the antenna and other wires on the
tower) outweighed the lower price of the quad and the possibility of
slightly better reception in extreme cases.

Bill - W2WO

Old August 6th 07, 04:49 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Dear Frank (no call, France?):

Another choice is a log-periodic-dipole-array (LPDA). Several are
available that do a good job of covering 14 MHz to 30 MHz. One such
manufacturer is Tennadyne

http://www.tennadyne.com/specs&prices.htm

The link shows the specifications of most of their models.

LPDAs have no moving parts and everything is in a plane. If you purchase
one, I can offer a couple of very simple (almost no cost) enhancements.

As I recall, Tennadyne has a distributor in your area.

73, Mac N8TT

--
J. Mc Laughlin; Michigan U.S.A.
Home:

SteppIR Antennas W0SZ Antenna 2 May 20th 18 12:54 PM
Free HF Cubical Quad Parts Dave Head Swap 1 December 12th 08 01:36 AM
WANT : large QUAD hubs for 40m QUAD Josh Swap 0 September 27th 04 10:15 PM
Steppir antenna Thierry Antenna 0 August 4th 04 09:24 AM
Steppir Beam Ronald Walters Antenna 8 March 10th 04 04:28 PM