Old August 26th 07, 05:21 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default LQQKing for 160m

I am LQQking for a Hustler 160m mobile coil and whip.

73's Howard W3CQH

Old August 26th 07, 05:02 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

In article ,
"John Doe" wrote:

I am LQQking for a Hustler 160m mobile coil and whip.

Howard-

I don't think there is a 160 Meter Hustler resonator currently
available. I don't know if they ever made one, or made a single-band
160 Meter mobile antenna.

I have a 160 Meter mobile antenna purchased several years ago from AES.
As I recall, it was NOT made by Hustler. I can't find any markings on
it that might tell who made it.

It is in a similar configuration to the Hustler with a resonator, except
using a much shorter mast below the coil. I suspect it would hit
highway overpasses if the coil and top parts were used on a Hustler mast!

Fred
K4DII
Old August 26th 07, 08:43 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Fred McKenzie wrote:
Howard wrote:

I am LQQking for a Hustler 160m mobile coil and whip.

Howard-

I don't think there is a 160 Meter Hustler resonator currently
available. I don't know if they ever made one, or made a single-band
160 Meter mobile antenna.

I have a 160 Meter mobile antenna purchased several years ago from AES.
As I recall, it was NOT made by Hustler. I can't find any markings on
it that might tell who made it.

It is in a similar configuration to the Hustler with a resonator, except
using a much shorter mast below the coil. I suspect it would hit
highway overpasses if the coil and top parts were used on a Hustler mast!

Fred
K4DII

Hustler/Newtronics (http://www.new-tronics.com/) never made a resonator for
160m (I used to sell Hustler at the local ham radio emporium).
That said, there's no reason you can't modify the parts you *can* get and/or
use an ATU with it. I've done just that with 80-10m parts & pieces. The
whips are 0.1" diameter, and Larsen sells 49" and 64" tapered whips that are
the same diameter at the bottom...

75m = 64" whip + reduce inductance on RM75
40m = 49" whip + reduce inductance on RM40
20m = 49" whip shortened to ~40" + RM15
I haven't yet tried anything special for 15m, but expect an RM10 or RM12 +
longer whip will work.
10m = 49" whip + homebrew 3/8"-24 fem/1/4"-28 male adapter + ferrule &
locknut (no loading coil)

Vy 73,
Bryan WA7PRC

Old August 27th 07, 02:29 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 00:21:56 -0400, John Doe wrote:
I am LQQking for a Hustler 160m mobile coil and whip.

Thanks for l377ing us know.
Old August 27th 07, 03:24 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Jimmie D wrote:
What one be the input impedance of a 10ft loaded mobile antenna on 160M?!.
Gotta be less than 1 ohm.

The input impedance cannot be less than the ground
losses which are usually in the ballpark of 10 ohms.
My ARRL Antenna Book estimates the feedpoint
impedance at ~34 ohms with a radiation resistance
of ~0.2 ohms for an efficiency of ~0.6% using a
coil with a Q of 300 which is no doubt higher than
any Hustler coil. I hope John Doe likes 160m QRP -
100 watts in with less than 1/2 watt radiated.
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com

Old August 27th 07, 03:29 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default 160m Stealth - (was- LQQKing for 160m)

"John Doe" wrote in message
I am LQQking for a Hustler 160m mobile coil and whip.

73's Howard W3CQH

2 items

1] I have since found that Hustler did not make a 160m coil, but
Pro-Am/Valor makes this item (VAL PHF160 = VALOR 160M 8' 3/8-24 WHP/PHF
160B) that I might be able to substitute in its stead.

2] I live in a Antenna restricted community, and I have a 40ft pine tree
in my back yard. I thought that I might try the above mentioned item in
conjunction with lets say a "LDG AT-200 Pro" auto-tuner or equivalent.
(Note - I cannot run any wires from the house to the tree in the air - they
have to be buried. Also I do not have any fencing and my rain gutters are
grounded.)

My idea is to strap either a metal or pvc painted pole near the top of the
tree, with a mount bracket for the whip (of course all painted to look like
the tree). I will have to feed it with RG-8x (painted) run down the tree and
buried in a trench to the house.

As far as radials go - They are out of the question. Instead - what do you
think if I should just roll up say 250ft of 13ga or so of single conductor
wire about a foot in diameter, attached at the base of the mounting bracket
(hung in the tree) and use it as a counterpoise? I might be able to hang in
the lower branches of the tree - a waterproof box with a loading coil and
attach the counterpoise there instead?

If I could tune TX/RX with this configuration, then I could possibly use it
to cover all of the HF bands.

Of course, I would like to work DX, but if not possible, then at least
conus.

Comments welcomed.

73's Howard, W3CQH

Old August 27th 07, 04:01 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Cecil Moore" wrote in message
et...
Jimmie D wrote:
What one be the input impedance of a 10ft loaded mobile antenna on
160M?!. Gotta be less than 1 ohm.

The input impedance cannot be less than the ground
losses which are usually in the ballpark of 10 ohms.
My ARRL Antenna Book estimates the feedpoint
impedance at ~34 ohms with a radiation resistance
of ~0.2 ohms for an efficiency of ~0.6% using a
coil with a Q of 300 which is no doubt higher than
any Hustler coil. I hope John Doe likes 160m QRP -
100 watts in with less than 1/2 watt radiated.
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com

If you just want to have 160 on the 80-10m base antenna then just add about
8ft of wire to the whip just above the coil. It ends up with about 40k
bandwidth. You lose 80 though.
I tried a mobile coil from a Proam whip to replace the 80m coil but it was
only 10k wide!!!! So I did the above.

I think you are talking about bobile antenna anyway so you could use another
make of coil as the threads semm to be all the same. but it is gojng to be
sharp!!
Cheers Dave

Old August 27th 07, 04:34 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

John Doe wrote:
2] I live in a Antenna restricted community, and I have a 40ft pine tree
in my back yard.

Now you are getting somewhere. Run a 40 foot vertical wire
up the tree and use some of the upper limbs for a top hat
made out of small wires. Feed it at the base of the tree
with an autotuner. A 40 foot vertical will radiate ten
times as much RF on 160m as will a 10 foot vertical.
The addition of top hat wires can double that figure.
You may get such an antenna to be 10% efficient.

As far as radials go - They are out of the question.

At the autotuner, you need a counterpoise of some kind
unless you live in a salt water swamp. If you can bury
coax, can you also bury a 100 foot counterpoise? Note
that the ground causes the counterpoise to have a low
velocity factor so 1/4WL of wire is not necessary.
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com
Old September 2nd 07, 08:52 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Cecil Moore" wrote in message
. ..
John Doe wrote:
[...]

1] The 160m whip assy that I originally planned to use is CENTER-LOADED
which I think is better than a base loaded whip?

2] If I decide to go with a 30 or 40 foot length of bare wire up the
tree, How long should the TOPHAT wires be?

73's

Old September 3rd 07, 12:21 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

John Doe wrote:
1] The 160m whip assy that I originally planned to use is CENTER-LOADED
which I think is better than a base loaded whip?

Yep, and a center-loaded 40 ft. long wire is better than
a center-loaded assy shorter than 40 ft. on 160m. There
is no perfect substitute for length and height on 160m.

2] If I decide to go with a 30 or 40 foot length of bare wire up the
tree, How long should the TOPHAT wires be?

As long as you can make them and as many as you can
manage. Best to check the resonant frequency during
the installation process but you are not likely to
make the top hat too big on 160m with a 1/12 wavelength
vertical wire. Resonating the system using only a large
top hat would be ideal. Of course, you will be dealing
with a low feedpoint resistance, too low to be matched
without a ~1:4 unun or equivalent.
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com

LQQking for AMP John Doe CB 2 March 12th 07 06:54 PM
LQQKing For Some Info John Doe Antenna 0 January 22nd 07 08:29 PM
LQQKING FOR SOME INFO John Doe Equipment 0 January 21st 07 03:31 AM
LQQKING: JB-12 MODULATOR Dwight 136 Swap 0 November 4th 04 01:40 AM
LQQKing for article NEDROG Antenna 2 July 18th 03 06:07 PM