Old September 5th 07, 12:40 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default inquiry from a newb

I've been a SWLer for years and am considering getting a ham license.
However, I live in an urban area (Brooklyn) and wonder just how
effectively I can transmit from here. Big outdoor antennas and ground
radials are out of the question.

Obviously I'd be starting out on VHF and UHF frequencies, perhaps with
only a modest handheld transceiver. Handhelds look pretty puny, but is
this appearance deceptive? Would one allow me to talk to lots of
people and learn from them?

Any insights you can share will be greatly appreciated.

Steve

Old September 5th 07, 01:17 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Steve wrote:
I've been a SWLer for years and am considering getting a ham license.
However, I live in an urban area (Brooklyn) and wonder just how
effectively I can transmit from here. Big outdoor antennas and ground
radials are out of the question.

Obviously I'd be starting out on VHF and UHF frequencies, perhaps with
only a modest handheld transceiver. Handhelds look pretty puny, but is
this appearance deceptive? Would one allow me to talk to lots of
people and learn from them?

Any insights you can share will be greatly appreciated.

=================================
Suggest you have a look at http://www.hamlan.org/tech/tech.htm.

20m loaded mini-dipole by IK2BCP (length 1.75 metres or 5 3/4 feet)

This is an antenna for QRP (low power ) operation , but by using thicker
wire for the coils it will be suitable for higher RF power.

Results with this antenna are positively surprising.

Frank GM0CSZ / KN6WH
Old September 5th 07, 03:55 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Steve wrote in news:1188949229.874112.302240
@o80g2000hse.googlegroups.com:

I've been a SWLer for years and am considering getting a ham license.
However, I live in an urban area (Brooklyn) and wonder just how
effectively I can transmit from here. Big outdoor antennas and ground
radials are out of the question.

Obviously I'd be starting out on VHF and UHF frequencies, perhaps with
only a modest handheld transceiver. Handhelds look pretty puny, but is
this appearance deceptive? Would one allow me to talk to lots of
people and learn from them?

Yo Steve!

March right off and get that license. For VHF and UHF, there are
repeaters to use, And I assume that Brooklyn and the surrounds has no
shortage of them. I don't know hown many are private, but there has to be
some public ones. As for HF, there are options even there. I talk to Hams
from Brooklyn and thereabouts on even 75/80 meters.

There may even be clubs that have club stations located outside the
city. Keeping in mind that if they have folks to Elmer you , you can get
in a little HF work under a control Op.

- 73 de Mike KB3EIA -
Old September 5th 07, 03:58 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Highland Ham wrote in
:

Steve wrote:
[...]

Absolutely. Sometimes we get so caught up in big balls antennas
that we discount the little ones.

.... Gaw, did I actually say that? ;^)

Point is, if you can't put up a 40 meter beam, don't let it keep
you from putting up a modest antenna.

- 73 de Mike KB3EIA -
Old September 5th 07, 04:12 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Mike Coslo" wrote in message
36...
[...]

Have worked a ton of Brooklyn hams from here in northeast Montana.
I am sure a lot of them are in the same boat as you for antennas.
If you can find a club or group, get involved with them. There will be folks
who can give you lots of advice.
Jump in, get your feet wet and enjoy.

Sam - K7SAM

Old September 5th 07, 12:26 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Hi Steve

Keep in mind that there are many many facets to amateur radio, not all
needing large or even effective antennas. You mentioned handhelds. Some
people use these through very simple directive antennas for satellite
access. If you are into keyboarding, PSK31 around the world a simple
antenna on 20m and 10-20W will do it. You can disguise it, tune a rain
gutter or even make a loaded device only a few feet long.

Don't be afraid either, to go for a drive out into the country and setup
on top of a hill.

Go into the hobby wherever it interests you. Just moderate your antenna
size/shape/location accordingly.

Cheers Bob W5/VK2YQA

Old September 5th 07, 08:28 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

I might ask how much room do you have - indoors,attic, outdoors,
rooftop, etc.? Don't assume you need an acre for a decent antenna.

Let us know how much area you have to work with & we can make
suggestions.

Terry
W8EJO

Old September 5th 07, 09:07 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

I've been a SWLer for years and am considering getting a ham license.
However, I live in an urban area (Brooklyn) and wonder just how
effectively I can transmit from here. Big outdoor antennas and ground
radials are out of the question.

Obviously I'd be starting out on VHF and UHF frequencies, perhaps with
only a modest handheld transceiver. Handhelds look pretty puny, but is
this appearance deceptive? Would one allow me to talk to lots of
people and learn from them?

Any insights you can share will be greatly appreciated.

Steve

You can go HF mobile - a friend has worked over 150 countries while mobile.

mobile antennas at url

http://ac6v.com/antdealer.htm#MOBILE

STEALTH ANTENNAS AT URL:
http://ac6v.com/antdealer.htm#STEALTH

LAMONT
Old September 5th 07, 09:16 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

I've been a SWLer for years and am considering getting a ham license.
However, I live in an urban area (Brooklyn) and wonder just how
effectively I can transmit from here. Big outdoor antennas and ground
radials are out of the question.

Obviously I'd be starting out on VHF and UHF frequencies, perhaps with
only a modest handheld transceiver. Handhelds look pretty puny, but is
this appearance deceptive? Would one allow me to talk to lots of
people and learn from them?

Any insights you can share will be greatly appreciated.

Steve

IN ADDITION TO MOBILE AND STEALTH -- AS A LICENSED AMATEUR - YOU CAN TALK TO
HAMS ALL OVER THE WORLD USING ECHOLINK -- USING YOUR COMPUTER AND THE
INTERNET

http://www.echolink.org/el/

Or IRLP (Internet Radio Linking Project) with a hand held
http://www.eham.net/newham/irlp

Lamont

Old September 5th 07, 10:44 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

IN ADDITION TO MOBILE AND STEALTH -- AS A LICENSED AMATEUR - YOU CAN
TALK TO HAMS ALL OVER THE WORLD USING ECHOLINK -- USING YOUR COMPUTER
AND THE INTERNET

http://www.echolink.org/el/

Or IRLP (Internet Radio Linking Project) with a hand held
http://www.eham.net/newham/irlp

============================
True ,but that has nothing to do with amateur RADIO.
This NG is mostly about amateur RADIO antennas.

In spite of all the conveniences of Internet linking ,let's focus on the
RADIO aspects of the hobby ,even at/from locations where the
installation of 'run-of-the-mill' antennas is a problem or outright
impossible

Frank GM0CSZ / KN6WH

Newb Question - is my Dipole setup right? [email protected] Shortwave 9 September 24th 06 11:46 PM
Newb Question - is my Dipole setup right? [email protected] Shortwave 0 September 22nd 06 07:48 PM
NewB: antenna and ADC howto XaNder Antenna 2 May 4th 06 10:39 PM
Old Timer is a Newb again! Explain Trunking and Digital PLEASE! Katmandu Scanner 1 December 1st 04 12:08 AM
DDS Kit - debugging inquiry Gavin Jacobs Homebrew 4 December 28th 03 11:26 AM