Old October 19th 07, 02:51 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
art art is offline

Default New patent application rules

In reading up on the new rules for patent continuations and cost
changes e.t.c.
I decided to review patents applied lately for antennas.
To my surprise I could not find any new listing of a patent request on
antennas from private entities.
Applications listed were only those that had transferred direct
authority in dealing with the patent office
Now I know personally that there are patents applied for by the
inventors themselves so why are they kept secret
from the public at large? I am guessing but I can only assume that a
private claim can obtain authority
to change content later with the examiners assistance where-as others
cannot. If so this can affect the new continuance rulings immensly.
Vincent got his antenna continuance claims in just about a month
before the rules changed. Rules have also been revised on the
substance of claims presumably to retard the increasing number of
counter claims tho no doubt it will open more paths to circumvent
existing patents. Just like politics, the more you revise policy the
more you increase loopholes and the more money exchanges hands between
those who introduce "corrective" additions. Some fees have gone up by
3% which is rare considering present social security increases so the
PTO at Crystal City is being really genourous
Art Unwin KB9MZ......xg

Old October 19th 07, 08:39 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default patent application rules

On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 18:51:48 -0700, art wrote:

In reading up on the new rules for patent continuations and cost
changes e.t.c.
I decided to review patents applied lately for antennas.
To my surprise I could not find any new listing of a patent request on
antennas from private entities.
Applications listed were only those that had transferred direct
authority in dealing with the patent office

All the transfer of direct authority means is that the inventor has
hired an attorney. The fact that an individual hires a patent
attorney to help them prepare the application doesn't mean they are
not an individual inventor working by themselves out of their
basement. Its just that the USPTO web page does not have a separate
search criteria for applications where the inventor is acting "pro
se", that is, without the help of an attorney.

Now I know personally that there are patents applied for by the
inventors themselves so why are they kept secret
from the public at large?

All patent applications are published 18 months after their filing
date. This rule was enacted about ten years ago to comply with the
provisions of the GATT treaty, whch simply made USA practice
compatible with what the rest of the world had been doing for decades.

I am guessing but I can only assume that a
private claim can obtain authority
to change content later with the examiners assistance where-as others
cannot.

If you look at the USPTO web page under the "Public Pair" heading (its
under the general "Patents" subcategory), you can view the actual file
contents of every application 18 months after filing. This includes
the original application and claims as filed -- not just the content,
but a scan of the actual document that was filed.

If so this can affect the new continuance rulings immensly.

The problem with the old continuation rules was that there was no
penalty for filing infinte continuation applications. Now if you file
a third one you have to convince the USPTO that it is appropriate. I
suspect that the new rules will be successful in discouraging
excessive continuation filings.

Vincent got his antenna continuance claims in just about a month
before the rules changed. Rules have also been revised on the
substance of claims presumably to retard the increasing number of
counter claims tho no doubt it will open more paths to circumvent
existing patents. Just like politics, the more you revise policy the
more you increase loopholes and the more money exchanges hands between
those who introduce "corrective" additions. Some fees have gone up by
3% which is rare considering present social security increases so the
PTO at Crystal City is being really genourous

Its not a cost of living raise -- its based on the previous year's
actual expenditures. Some years the fees actually go down.

Art Unwin KB9MZ......xg

Old October 19th 07, 09:04 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

art wrote:
In reading up on the new rules for patent continuations and cost
changes e.t.c.
I decided to review patents applied lately for antennas.
To my surprise I could not find any new listing of a patent request on
antennas from private entities.

They're there. I found one in the first 3 I looked at.

Applications listed were only those that had transferred direct
authority in dealing with the patent office

That's not the case. It's not surprising to me that most of the
applications are on behalf of companies that sell things.

Now I know personally that there are patents applied for by the
inventors themselves so why are they kept secret

You might need to improve your search techniques.

from the public at large? I am guessing but I can only assume that a
private claim can obtain authority
to change content later with the examiners assistance where-as others
cannot.

You can change the content, but not the substance of a claim.

If so this can affect the new continuance rulings immensly.

The new (proposed) rules simply require that an explanation be
provided as to why the ammended information had not been included in
earlier submissions.

Rules have also been revised on the
substance of claims presumably to retard the increasing number of
counter claims tho no doubt it will open more paths to circumvent
existing patents.

The only change being _proposed_ is one where the initial examination
of the application would be of just the independent claims and any
dependent claims the applicant cites in particular.

Congrats on your upgrade, Art.

73, ac6xg

Old October 19th 07, 10:27 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
art art is offline

On 19 Oct, 13:04, Jim Kelley wrote:
art wrote:
In reading up on the new rules for patent continuations and cost
changes e.t.c.
I decided to review patents applied lately for antennas.
To my surprise I could not find any new listing of a patent request on
antennas from private entities.

They're there. I found one in the first 3 I looked at.

Well bully for you, I was looking for one in particular, a heading
that is and I couldn't find,google it

Applications listed were only those that had transferred direct
authority in dealing with the patent office

That's not the case. It's not surprising to me that most of the
applications are on behalf of companies that sell things.

Now I know personally that there are patents applied for by the
inventors themselves so why are they kept secret

You might need to improve your search techniques.

Probably so. I had the number and put it in google and it couldn't
find it.
I thought the headings were entered within two months which is what I
found
to reflect the search.

from the public at large? I am guessing but I can only assume that a
private claim can obtain authority
to change content later with the examiners assistance where-as others
cannot.

You can change the content, but not the substance of a claim.

If so this can affect the new continuance rulings immensly.

The important point here is the examiner has the authority to make
changes to the substance and the claims when asked for assistance
from a private entity during the examination without having to
ask for an extended contunuance ( I believe that is how it is)
I have made changes in every area with the consent of the examiner
and his superior. Law demands that they supply assistance to any
private entity

The new (proposed) rules simply require that an explanation be
provided as to why the ammended information had not been included in
earlier submissions.

Does he have to get a new starting date plus additional costs
because of the attorneys poor performance?

Rules have also been revised on the
substance of claims presumably to retard the increasing number of
counter claims tho no doubt it will open more paths to circumvent
existing patents.

The only change being _proposed_ is one where the initial examination
of the application would be of just the independent claims and any
dependent claims the applicant cites in particular.

You cant claim anything that is not specifically mentioned in the body

Congrats on your upgrade, Art.

If you say so

73, ac6xg

Old October 19th 07, 10:58 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

art wrote:

I was looking for one in particular, a heading
that is and I couldn't find,google it

Use this one, Art:

http://www.uspto.gov/patft/index.html

73, ac6xg

Old October 20th 07, 01:37 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
art art is offline

On 19 Oct, 14:58, Jim Kelley wrote:
art wrote:
I was looking for one in particular, a heading
that is and I couldn't find,google it

Use this one, Art:

http://www.uspto.gov/patft/index.html

73, ac6xg

The problem I have is that a patent request was submitted
as most people know, on the Gaussian antennas. Now with my
present experiments comming to and end( I have a directional
circularly polarised antenna for 160 M which is wound on
2 foot diameter with a lesser dimensional width which is probably
a first, plus I have it placed inside a capacitive field)
there are more additions to be made. Maybe instead of filing a
fresh patent it would have been cheaper to ask for a continuance
on the first request, a rule that I was unaware of. Still once the
money
fees have been payed it probably would be to difficult to reverse
payment
and try for a continuance. Maybe it is best to let a sleeping dog to
lie.
Regards
Art

Old October 20th 07, 02:58 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
art art is offline

art wrote:
I was looking for one in particular, a heading
that is and I couldn't find,google it

Use this one, Art:

http://www.uspto.gov/patft/index.html

73, ac6xg

This is only for "published" patent numbers, when you first
apply you are given a reference number only so future
records are kept in one place until a patent number is assigned.
Actually they are behind in their work having only one years data
that you can refer to. I do know that a private company
publishes patent headings only and are up to date within a month
and from what I see all applications list an agent.
How they get this information I do not know.
Art

Interesting patent John Smith I Antenna 1 July 10th 07 11:45 PM
Patent regulations art Antenna 1 September 5th 06 01:18 PM
"SteppIR" patent application J. McLaughlin Antenna 21 August 27th 04 05:18 PM
Lattin antenna patent info/query Lee Carkenord Antenna 2 April 12th 04 02:04 AM
Device By An Antenna: Patent WO0245210 PagCal Antenna 10 January 23rd 04 01:57 PM