Old November 18th 07, 12:11 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Resontate frequency of parallel L/C

What is the resonate frequency of this network, as determined between
the top and bottom of what I have drawn?

I don't know how well the drawing will come out, but it consists of:

100 uH in series with 1000 Ohms.
100 pF in series with 1000 Ohms

The two two networks above are in parallel

i.e.

!
-----!-----
| |
| |
L C
| |
| |
R R
| |
| |
------------

Old November 18th 07, 02:05 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Roy Lewallen wrote:
Is this by any chance an exam question?

No, it is not. I was shown it by a lecturer of mine more than 10 years
ago. The result is quite interesting.
Old November 18th 07, 06:25 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
art art is offline

On 18 Nov, 06:05, Dave wrote:
Roy Lewallen wrote:
Is this by any chance an exam question?

No, it is not. I was shown it by a lecturer of mine more than 10 years
ago. The result is quite interesting.

Interesting to me is that there is no parallel resistance bypassing
the capacitor inferring a mythical loss less capacitor.
I await developments with interest
Art
Old November 18th 07, 06:40 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

In message , Dave writes
What is the resonate frequency of this network, as determined between
the top and bottom of what I have drawn?

I don't know how well the drawing will come out, but it consists of:

100 uH in series with 1000 Ohms.
100 pF in series with 1000 Ohms

The two two networks above are in parallel

i.e.

!
-----!-----
| |
| |
L C
| |
| |
R R
| |
| |
------------

I ran it through Spice ( laziness) - It doesn't resonate. Intuitively
you think it should have a low Q resonance at 1.6MHz , but it doesn't
Nice one.

73 Brian GM4DIJ

--
Brian Howie

Old November 18th 07, 07:12 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Brian Howie wrote:

!
-----!-----
| |
| |
L C
| |
| |
R R
| |
| |
------------

I ran it through Spice ( laziness) - It doesn't resonate. Intuitively
you think it should have a low Q resonance at 1.6MHz , but it doesn't
Nice one.

73 Brian GM4DIJ

The trick is to make

R = sqrt(L/C)

then the impedance is real everywhere. You can use any old values for L:
and C, as long as you make R=sqrt(L/C);

That equation is obviously know from transmission lines too..
Old November 18th 07, 07:27 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Sun, 18 Nov 2007 19:12:48 +0000, Dave wrote:

Brian Howie wrote:

!
-----!-----
| |
| |
L C
| |
| |
R R
| |
| |
------------

I ran it through Spice ( laziness) - It doesn't resonate. Intuitively
you think it should have a low Q resonance at 1.6MHz , but it doesn't
Nice one.

73 Brian GM4DIJ

The trick is to make

R = sqrt(L/C)

then the impedance is real everywhere. You can use any old values for L:
and C, as long as you make R=sqrt(L/C);

That equation is obviously know from transmission lines too..

Hi Dave,

Perhaps, but not in this round.

sqrt(L/C) 1000

Besides, resonance is slightly above 1MHz.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC
Old November 18th 07, 07:38 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Richard Clark wrote:

Hi Dave,

Perhaps, but not in this round.

sqrt(L/C) 1000

Besides, resonance is slightly above 1MHz.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

For a minute, I thought he had abandoned the "new math" and gone over to
the "dark side." (or, "new-new math!") ;-)
JS
Old November 18th 07, 08:47 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Dave wrote:
What is the resonate frequency of this network, as determined between
the top and bottom of what I have drawn?

I don't know how well the drawing will come out, but it consists of:

100 uH in series with 1000 Ohms.
100 pF in series with 1000 Ohms

The two two networks above are in parallel

Since the two resistances are equal, seems to me the
resonant frequency would be where the two reactances
are equal. Where the 100 uH line crosses the 100 pf
line on the reactance chart in the ARRL Handbook is
in the ballpark of 1.591549431 MHz. :-)
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com
Old November 18th 07, 09:45 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Richard Clark wrote:
On Sun, 18 Nov 2007 19:12:48 +0000, Dave wrote:

Brian Howie wrote:

!
-----!-----
| |
| |
L C
| |
| |
R R
| |
| |
------------

I ran it through Spice ( laziness) - It doesn't resonate. Intuitively
you think it should have a low Q resonance at 1.6MHz , but it doesn't
Nice one.

73 Brian GM4DIJ

The trick is to make

R = sqrt(L/C)

then the impedance is real everywhere. You can use any old values for L:
and C, as long as you make R=sqrt(L/C);

That equation is obviously know from transmission lines too..

Hi Dave,

Perhaps, but not in this round.

sqrt(L/C) 1000

Besides, resonance is slightly above 1MHz.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

My calculator needs fixing. When I divide 100 uH by 100 pF and take
the square root, I end up with the number 1000. Where did I go wrong?
73,
Tom Donaly, KA6RUH

Parallel Lines? Asimov Antenna 10 February 3rd 07 08:42 AM
OT Parallel to USB Cable jim CB 19 January 10th 07 03:32 AM
Parallel Lines Earl Andrews Antenna 0 June 19th 05 03:38 PM
varicaps in parallel Ken Scharf Homebrew 0 March 26th 04 02:20 AM
varicaps in parallel Ken Scharf Homebrew 0 March 26th 04 02:20 AM