Old March 7th 08, 05:28 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Antenna physical size

I have searched quite a bit for evidence that states that performance
of antennas can be rated by it's size. Formulas do not refere to
radiator size or volume
and aparture is referenced to gain. I understand that sort of thinking
based on Yagi design
but the idea that all small radiators are inefficient is rather
ludicrouse. My work, based on
the sciences of the masters, show that a efficient radiator can be any
size,shape and
configuration as long as it
is in equilibrium . Period
No where can I find reference to "size" in what the masters state
Regards
Art
Old March 7th 08, 05:46 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

wrote:
I have searched quite a bit for evidence that states that performance
of antennas can be rated by it's size. Formulas do not refere to
radiator size or volume
and aparture is referenced to gain. I understand that sort of thinking
based on Yagi design
but the idea that all small radiators are inefficient is rather
ludicrouse. My work, based on
the sciences of the masters, show that a efficient radiator can be any
size,shape and
configuration as long as it
is in equilibrium . Period
No where can I find reference to "size" in what the masters state
Regards
Art

The work by Chu (Journal of Applied Physics, p1163, v19, Dec 1948) and
subsequently by Harrington (IEEE Trans Ant & Prop, V18#6, Nov 1965,
p896) , Thiele (IEEE Trans on Ant and Prop, v51, #6, June 2003, p1263)
and later others, discusses fundamental limits on performance. Watch
out, though, for the assumptions in the constraints (e.g. whether the
device attached to the feedpoint is reciprocal), and, of course, where
the boundary of the system is.

Watch out also for the definition of "Q", which in this context is the
ratio of stored to disspated/radiated energy, not the ratio of center
frequency/bandwidth.

In short, there is a tradeoff between Q, directivity, and size. And,
because high Q implies high stored energy, for physically realizable
antennas with loss, efficiency is in the mix too.

Googling "chu harrington limit" often turns up useful stuff.
Old March 7th 08, 08:08 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Art wrote:
"No where can I find reference to "size" in what the masters state"

More diligence!

Terman never failed to have an answer for me. On page 864 of his 1955
0pus he writes:
"The simplest wire radiator or antenna is the elementary doublet shown
in Fig. 23-1a. This consists of a conductor of length small-delta l that
is short compared with the wavelength lambda, and which is assumed to
have such large capacitance areas associated with each end that current
flowing throughout the length of the doublet everywhere has the same
value I. The strength E of the field radiated from such an elementary
antenna in volts per unit length by a current I cos (omega t + 90
degrees) is given by the formula
E = 60 pi/d l/lambda Icos theta cos omega (t-d/c)
Eqn. (23-1)
Here d is the distance from the doublet to a distant receiving point P,
and theta is the direction of P with respect a plane perpendicular to
the axis of the doublet while c is the velocity of light. The strength
of the radiated field is distributed in space in accordance with the
doughnut pattern with a figure-of-eight cross section shown in Fig.
23-1b."

The above is only the beginning of Terman`s chapter on antennas. Fig.
23-2 shows how contributions from multiple doublets in a larger antenna
combine to produce the pattern of the larger antenna. Point to be noted
is that length over lambda is a multiplier in Eqn.(23-1). Obviously size
(length) does make a difference.

Best regards, Richard Harrison, KB5WZI

Old March 7th 08, 09:54 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Mar 7, 2:08 pm, (Richard Harrison) wrote:
Art wrote:

[...]

I disagree. Laws written are all based on the assumption of
equilibrium and that includes
Maxwell's laws. These laws hav e zero refernce to size as such though
many would seek
for the word volume. Pertinent factors are wave length of frequency in
use and root LC.
For equilibrium there is zero reference to size or volume. I ofcourse
fall back to the term equilibrium
which is a basic for Gauss's law of statics to which a variable time
can be added. Thus it can be seen that
a law can be stated that a radiator can be any size, shape or
configuration as long as it is in equilibrium.
The problem here is that amateur radio is wellded to the yagi design
which is not one of equilibrium
and the fact that amateurs and many of the higher educated have pushed
the term of equilibrium
outside the box. This shows up when the uneducated refer to small
antennas as being inefficient
based purely on the connection to a specific design without regard to
whether equilibrium exists
so that all the laws of the masters can be applied. Again, it is
implicite that all laws apply when
there is equilibrium, if there is not then the laws do not apply as
is.
With respect to the term
"length", this is not synonimous to "size" because it has only one
degree of freedom.
There is no reason why a radiator can be rolled up into any shape as
long as the laws of Maxwell
are adhered to and such a sample has been assigned for testing and I
have to be satisfied with the results
as they arrive.I will be soon using one on the radio for QSO's and I
apologise if its use offends anybody
Seems like the group is in quite a tizzy that a person would have a
small radiator that defies
that which has taken them years to memorize. I gave all pertinent
details how to make them
I also gave the mathematics and a sample where established computor
programs confirm the above
and now to upset all again I have given a sample for testing to a
independent reviewer.
There is no need for anybody to worry, Yagi designs still exist for
those who abore change,worry
about transmission line radiation or even radiators melting. When you
all understand the relevence of
equilibrium you can then procede to review the math, until then you
are all in left field.
Best regards
Art
There is nothing in Maxwells laws that prohibit a "wavelength" from
being condensed into the
size of a pinhead or smaller and still be "efficient" with respect to
stated paramitors.
Old March 7th 08, 10:45 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Art Unwin" wrote in message
On Mar 7, 2:08 pm, (Richard Harrison) wrote:
I disagree. Laws written are all based on the assumption of
equilibrium and that includes
Maxwell's laws. These laws hav e zero refernce to size as such though
many would seek

because contrary to what those male enhancement product adds tell you, size
doesn't matter.

for the word volume. Pertinent factors are wave length of frequency in

The problem here is that amateur radio is wellded to the yagi design
which is not one of equilibrium

WAIT JUST ONE GOSH DARN MINUTE! you have said in the past that the simple
half wave dipole WAS a prefect example of equilibrium! NOW it isn't???
have you had a new revelation while i had your old email address plonked??

Old March 7th 08, 11:09 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Mar 7, 4:45 pm, "Dave" wrote:
"Art Unwin" wrote in message

On Mar 7, 2:08 pm, (Richard Harrison) wrote:
I disagree. Laws written are all based on the assumption of
equilibrium and that includes
Maxwell's laws. These laws hav e zero refernce to size as such though
many would seek

because contrary to what those male enhancement product adds tell you, size
doesn't matter.

for the word volume. Pertinent factors are wave length of frequency in
The problem here is that amateur radio is wellded to the yagi design
which is not one of equilibrium

WAIT JUST ONE GOSH DARN MINUTE! you have said in the past that the simple
half wave dipole WAS a prefect example of equilibrium! NOW it isn't???
have you had a new revelation while i had your old email address plonked??

David,
You admit to not understanding the term "equilibrium" so what do you
care what I say and in what content.
If you consider a half wave dipole as being in equilibrium you have to
consider the electrical circuit
consisting of a capacitance from the antenna to ground or the route
thru the center of of the radiator, both of thes circuits
can be considered as being in equilibrium. However, on this newsgroup
a fractional wavelength radiator is considered as an open circuit for
some reason and thus under those circumstances the half wave dipole is
not in equilibrium.
Now your views on radiation is all over the place so it is very hard
for me to determine the context of what you say.
Art
Old March 7th 08, 11:54 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Art wrote:
"I sisagree."

Most correspondents here know from experience that radiation efficacy
falls in too-short antennas.Terman refers to E.A. Laport`s "Radio
Antenna Engineering". Laport has charted Degree-amperes versus Field
Strength or radiation resistance to which Field Strength is
proportional.

Laport gives an example on page 23:
"A straight vertical radiator of height 30 degrees or less has a
radiation resistance Rr following the equation
Rr = Go squared.
where Go is the electrical height in radians (One radian is 57.3
degrees.)

Best regards, Richard Harrison, KB5WZI

Old March 8th 08, 12:02 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Art Unwin" wrote in message
On Mar 7, 4:45 pm, "Dave" wrote:
"Art Unwin" wrote in message

[...]

no, it wasn't me that said that, you said that a half wave dipole was an
example of your equilibrium gaussian antenna. don't put words in my mouth,
i don't think any antenna is in 'equilibrium' if it is working right, there
is always a flow of power either in or out... equilibrium means not going
anywhere, i want my antennas to radiate and receive, not just sit there and
look pretty!

Old March 8th 08, 12:11 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Mar 7, 6:02 pm, "Dave" wrote:
"Art Unwin" wrote in message

On Mar 7, 4:45 pm, "Dave" wrote:
"Art Unwin" wrote in message

[...]

David, please plonk me again under my new server.
Thanks
Art
Old March 8th 08, 12:13 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Mar 7, 6:09 pm, Art Unwin wrote:
On Mar 7, 4:45 pm, "Dave" wrote:

"Art Unwin" wrote in message

[...]

Long before we rode our dinosaurs to club meetings the bright lights
had completely agreed that the strength of radio signals at far off
places was a function of the integral of i·dl where dl is the bigness
of the aerial. Maybe it's in Sears and Zemansky. I dunno . . nor do I
really care.

w3rv

what size antenna? clu Shortwave 16 October 26th 05 11:25 PM
what size antenna? [email protected] Shortwave 0 October 25th 05 01:55 AM
Recomend Size of Aux Antenna for use with MFJ-1025/6 or ANC-4 Ronald Walters Antenna 2 January 3rd 05 12:00 AM
Question of Antenna Size? Doug Smith W9WI Shortwave 1 August 2nd 04 09:20 AM
Physical size of radiating element? FAZAMY Antenna 3 January 30th 04 03:29 PM