Old March 21st 08, 09:17 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default "V" Dipole Antenna

I've also seen "messenger line" or more often "messenger wire" used to
describe the steel wire that supports such things as telephone cables
between poles and mains power service drops from the pole to a building.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

John Ferrell wrote:
I'd never heard of a messenger rope. Sounds interesting. How is the
messenger rope secured to the antenna line? WB8YKH

More properly "messenger line".

This seems to be a difficult item to search so I will attempt to an
explanation...

When two ships meet at sea and wish to transfer items from one ship to
another (think mail, movies, etc.) they must keep a safe distance
between them. The accepted procedure is to throw or otherwise launch a
small rope or line from one to the other. Then a larger line is
attached to the small line and pulled back to the originating ship.
There may be several iterations of this until a line strong enough to
carry the ultimate load is in place. The first line (and may be the
interim lines) that were used to get the final line in place are
refferred to as messenger lines.

I sometimes use a weighted piece of fishing line as the meesenger and
tie the string/rope/wire in place to hang an antenna. It saves a lot
of snagging if you streamline the attaching knot with a bit of tape.

If anyone manages to figure out a search that provides useful results
for "messenger line" I would appreciate the enlightenment!

John Ferrell W8CCW
Beware of the dopeler effect (pronounced dope-ler).
That's where bad ideas seem good if they come at you
fast enough.

Old March 21st 08, 09:40 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Roy Lewallen wrote:
I've also seen "messenger line" or more often "messenger wire" used to
describe the steel wire that supports such things as telephone cables
between poles and mains power service drops from the pole to a building.

I got a bunch of free 75 ohm coax from the TV cable
company that has a messenger wire. It seems to me to
be for strain relief to keep the coax from breaking
from wind or ice.
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com
Old March 22nd 08, 08:18 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

[several references to]
.... "messenger line"...

Hotwire fencing. The stuff that we put around horse
pastures. For intended use, it connects to a hi volt,
low current, pulsed source.

There is a version of the 'wire' that is very fine gauge wire,
perhaps 28 ga or smaller, woven into nylon webbing.
You can tie it in knots, put a lot of tension
on it, without bothering the conductor.

Built in messenger line with the element.

Lumpy n0eq

You Played on Lawrence Welk?
Yes but no blue notes. Just blue hairs.

www.LumpyGuitar.net