Old March 23rd 08, 12:51 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default 80m inductor kit or a pair of 80m traps?

I have up a half size G5RV and want to add 80 metres it. I don't have the
space for a full size.

What is best to go for a 80m inductor kit or a pair of 80m traps?

Thanks

Old March 23rd 08, 01:09 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Barrett" wrote in message
k...
I have up a half size G5RV and want to add 80 metres it. I don't have the
space for a full size.

What is best to go for a 80m inductor kit or a pair of 80m traps?

Thanks

well, 'traps' are usually used to cut off an antenna that is too long for
the band in question, so that is probably not what you want. simple
inductors are used to make an antenna look longer so that is what you would
want... but expect it to affect tuning on all bands, not just add 80m
capability.

Old March 23rd 08, 01:21 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

In message rEsFj.101$sR1.28@trndny08, Dave writes

"Barrett" wrote in message
. uk...
I have up a half size G5RV and want to add 80 metres it. I don't have the
space for a full size.

What is best to go for a 80m inductor kit or a pair of 80m traps?

Thanks

well, 'traps' are usually used to cut off an antenna that is too long for
the band in question, so that is probably not what you want. simple
inductors are used to make an antenna look longer so that is what you would
want... but expect it to affect tuning on all bands, not just add 80m
capability.

Do a Google search on 'G5RV+extend'.
There seems to be a lot of information available.
--
Ian
Old March 23rd 08, 01:32 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Dave, I have just put a Cowebb for 20 through to 10m. Its just 80 and 40 I'm
interested for the time being. Is it hard to make a pair of inductors and
how would I go about making a pair?

Thanks

"Dave" wrote in message

k...

Old March 23rd 08, 01:36 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"making" them is easy, just wind some wire around some kind of form, like a
piece of pvc pipe. figuring out how much wire, how many turns, and the
diameter is the hard part. I would use one of the antenna modeling programs
to figure that out given your current design and picking a point where you
think you can insert them. from that you could get a value of inductance
needed, then pick a likely form size and use one of the inductance
calculators on line to figure out how many turns of wire it would take.

"Dave" wrote in message
> [...]

k...

Old March 23rd 08, 01:47 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Is it hard to make a pair of inductors and how would I go about
making a pair?"

It's a coil. So, make a couple of coils of wire, typically on a form
of some kind cuz just wire tends to unravel if not held together some
way. That form ought to be non-conductive, PVC pipe for instance.
'Fatter' coils tend to be shorter than 'skinny' coils, and more
efficient sort of (to some ridiculous point), take up less room. How
long/diameter? Beats me. Make them what you think is too big and
then try shorting out turns of each coil till you get to where you
wanna go. That'll work for one band, probably not too well for two
bands, ain't gonna work for all bands at one time unless you make
those coils adjustable (coil taps).
Expect compromises. Won't be the 'best' in the world, but it'll work.
- 'Doc

Old March 23rd 08, 02:03 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

I will have a look for a antenna modelling program that I can get on with.
Also I'm using pvc covered flexweave wire for my G5RV. Is it all right to
make the inductors up from flexweave or should I get some enamelled copper
wire, or doesn't it really matters?

Thanks

"Dave" wrote in message
> [...]

k...

Old March 23rd 08, 05:06 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

whatever you can wind with. solid copper will stay in place better by
itself being a bit springy, flexweave you would probably have to glue down
to the form to keep it from sliding around.

"Dave" wrote in message
> [...]

k...

Old March 23rd 08, 05:52 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

I will have a look for a antenna modelling program that I can get on
with. Also I'm using pvc covered flexweave wire for my G5RV. Is it all
right to make the inductors up from flexweave or should I get some
enamelled copper wire, or doesn't it really matters?

If you would like to build air inductors very similar to B&W AirDux
coils, I highly suggest you go to: http://www.qsl.net/n1lo/antenna.htm
and download the instructional PDF found at the bottom of that page titled
"80-10M mobile vertical." It includes excellent instructions and parts
locations to do this.

Ed K7AAT
Old March 23rd 08, 06:00 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Tam Tam is offline

"Barrett" wrote in message
k...
I have up a half size G5RV and want to add 80 metres it. I don't have the
space for a full size.

What is best to go for a 80m inductor kit or a pair of 80m traps?

Thanks

If you add inductors to a G5RV, it will no longer be a G5RV. You might be
better off with an 80 - 10 m trap dipole. It will be shortert than an 80
meter dipole.

Tam/WB2TT