Old March 27th 08, 06:16 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Hamstick dipole for 80m

Cecil Moore wrote:
wrote:
... I'll switch to 75 at night when it gets dark.

What do you switch to at night when it doesn't
get dark? :-)

Dammit Cecil - not when I'm drinking coffee! hehehe 8^)

- 73 de Mike N3LI -
Old March 27th 08, 09:45 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com

My map of Alaska. :/
Old March 27th 08, 10:31 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Hi Jouko,

I made up a 4 band "spider" mount, to which you can screw in 4 sets of
hamsticks. I have a full set of hamstick whips from 80m down to 6m.

So I have a multiband hamstick dipole array!

When one thinks about the feedpoint impedance, even without the capacitive
disk, it certainly should be lower, but as I am using them at 7 metres from
groundlevel in a portable situation, I use a small antenna tuner.

At that height, they act like a "cloud warmer" or a NVIS antenna, so at 80m
its good for up to 350km. I haven't really given the other frequencies a try
yet.

Let me know I can email you with a few pics of my multiband "spider mount",
as I have a small lathe and milling machine in my workshop, it wasn't hard
to make.

73
de VK2KCE John
"JN" wrote in message
John,

Yes I think using capasitive loading at the end of coil parts is the right
way to move the frequency.
What kind of results did you get with the hamstick dipole?
OK 50Ohm feedpoint resistance. I thought it is lower, but maybe it is so
due to high loss resistance in coils.

73 Jouko OH5RM

Old March 28th 08, 02:34 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Michael Coslo wrote:
nm5k wrote:
Cecil Moore wrote:

Hustler makes various extender sections. I have
2 foot and 5 foot sections from Hustler.

Most of my extender sections are from Henry, the
Texas Bugcatcher guy. They are the "BASE MAST"
sections available in lengths from 1/2 foot to
5 feet and special lengths can be ordered.

I have a hustler 3 footer I use all the time..
Really cranks the performance up when you are
parked and can use a taller whip.
My normal whip is 11 ft, exactly center loaded,
and the mast makes it 14, with the coil at 8 ft.
I wish I had a 5 foot version. Might have to get
one of those for industrial strength use. :/
Of course, if I had another 5 ft mast, I'd end up
coupling them together and having 8 ft.
There is no such thing as overkill with a
stationary mobile setup. lol
An 8 ft mast would give me a total height of
19 ft, and the coil would be at 13 ft.
That would brown the food on 75/40 m... :-

How do you adjust the coil at that height? Of course I find that I
choose and spend most of my time on one band per mobile session, so
maybe it isn't a big problem.

- 73 de Mike N3LI -

The Hustler MO-1 and MO-2 masts have a hinge at 15" and 27" above the bottom
end: http://www.new-tronics.com/main/html/mobile__hf.html
They're 54" tall. The MO-3 is also 54" tall but doesn't have the hinge.
The MO-4 is 22" tall (no hinge).
73,
Bryan WA7PRC

Old March 28th 08, 10:20 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Cecil Moore writes:

wrote:
... I'll switch to 75 at night when it gets dark.

What do you switch to at night when it doesn't
get dark? :-)

Why the smiley?

"When I told you to turn off the light at 10:30PM, you were also
supposed to stop reading, dear"

Greetings from 63N. We don't get midnight sun, but we can read a
newspaper all night long.

73
LA4RT Jon

Old March 28th 08, 11:29 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Jon Kåre Hellan wrote:
"When I told you to turn off the light at 10:30PM, you were also
supposed to stop reading, dear"

:-) Do y'all call that night or day?
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com
Old March 28th 08, 11:51 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Cecil Moore writes:

Jon KÃ¥re Hellan wrote:
"When I told you to turn off the light at 10:30PM, you were also
supposed to stop reading, dear"

:-) Do y'all call that night or day?

We'd probably stretch "evening" until midnight. After that it's
"night", no matter how light.

Actually, we don't speak English at all, of course. :-)
Old March 28th 08, 12:06 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Jon KÃ¥re Hellan wrote:
Actually, we don't speak English at all, of course. :-)

Us Texans don't palaver English neither.
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com
Old April 8th 08, 02:38 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

In article ,
"HRBE" wrote:

I made up a 4 band "spider" mount, to which you can screw in 4 sets of
hamsticks. I have a full set of hamstick whips from 80m down to 6m.

So I have a multiband hamstick dipole array!

HRBE-

I think it was the December, 2007, issue of QST that had an article on
the "Octopus" antenna made of 4 pairs of mobile whips for 75/40/20/15
meters. I plan to also add a vertical 10 Meter whip.

I've collected the parts but haven't assembled it yet. It will be
interesting to see how the monstrosity works!

Fred
K4DII
Old April 8th 08, 01:19 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Fred McKenzie wrote:
I've collected the parts but haven't assembled it yet. It will be
interesting to see how the monstrosity works!

Hope you enjoy 75m QRP.
--
73, Cecil http://www.w5dxp.com