Old April 23rd 08, 04:22 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default SGC-230 wire endfed or traped endfed

Barrett,
ur pics spek lots, but im busy w/baby es will respond tonite or
tomorrow.

sri fer shorthand, baby in hand is fussy.

On Sun, 20 Apr 2008 19:49:37 +0100, "Barrett"
wrote:

Buck, here are some photo's of the antenna at the moment. The new one will
have to be in a similar position.
http://www.hobby.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/antenna/3.jpg
http://www.hobby.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/antenna/4.jpg

Not sure what to cover the SGC with to keep the rain out. Plus it will be in
direct sun all day on top of the pole. Garden is Roughly North to south..
South being at the pole end of the garden.
I can disconnect the homebrew G5RV and move the ugly coax balun I made up to
the pole and add some new coax in-between. I know its a lot of connections
but it will have to do for the time being.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

"Buck" wrote in message
.. .
Ok, Barrett,

First of all, I missed your british accent the first time around, and
I have also read the instruction manual that came with the tuner.

Now that I understand you and the tuner (coupler) better, I can make
better informed recommendations.

I have a 60ft garden and my maximum height I can go is only 20ft. I
would
like to TX on 80-40 and on 160 if possible but I might be asking the
impossible with the 160m..

Your coupler says it only needs 23 feet to tune 160m. At that rate,
you would not be one of the big fishes in the pond, but you would be
there.

I do not have a ground system in place. I can put some earth rods in and
some surface wire but I have no way of putting any wire into the soil
itself. So I am a bit limited.

You might have more of a ground than you think. hang in there...

I have a 150ft of flexweave wire that is uv plastic coated to play with.
I think I have three choices to chose from at the moment.
I can use the SGC-230 with an inverted L.
I can use the SGC-230 with an inverted L with homebrew traps built in.
I can use an inverted L with homebrew traps built in but without the
SGC-230.

What would be the best choice and why?

The best choice is the one that will give you effective communications
given your resources and abilities. I think you will do well.

I am going to give it a WAG and suggest you would be better off
without the traps.

your coupler supersedes your need for traps.

Can the tuner be mounted in the weather? Yes

See Page 7 in the users manual. Can you acquire or spare a plastic
garbage can?

SNIP

If so, could you make a 150 foot
dipole and feed it with twin-lead to the tuner? I would like that
idea best. Even 300 ohm twin lead from Radio shack would be good. This
is
out due to getting it through the house wall.

I assume you can get a piece of coax out from the radio to the
coupler?

The garden is only 60ft long, so fitting in 150ft won't work here. I could
make a Z up but the end of one end would have to drop to garage roof
height
(9ft) and it would put the other end of the Z running (clipped onto the
plastic gutter). This would put the Aerial very close to the house and
very
close to the neighbours TV and radio aerial.

The inverted L seems to prefer ground radials, but a dipole or random
wire may be better. If you can go up and only in one direction, could
you run 300 ohm up and tap one end? this would be an end-fed Zep, i
believe, and the tuner should tune it.

I could do but my nax height would be 20ft would this work? Also I have a
20ft scaffold pole note grounded that the G5RV is supported by won't this
interfere with it?

To me, this is your ace in the hole

See the diagram at the top of page 7?

Here is what I would do assuming the trees or other supports
cooperate.

Get a protective cover for the coupler as shown. Mount the coupler as
high up the pole as you can. Ground the coupler to the pole well
where you mount it, and cover the coupler as in the diagram.

at the base of the pole, set one of the ground rods and ground the
pole to the rod. You don't need any wire going from the tuner to the
ground rod as the scaffold pole will be the conductor.

From the tuner, stretch your wire out as far as you can to the other
supports. Weave it around, if you must, but try to get as close to 80
feet of wire strung out as possible. Make a "T" in the wire if
necessary giving the wire three points, one at the tuner and two going
different directions. For me, the more wire, the better. The more
spread out, the better.

Now, when you reach your limit, take the rest of the wire and make as
much of ground radials as you can as you see in the diagram on pages 7
& 16.

If you can't run them far, go as far as you can.

The second alternative? Replace your G5RV with the installation shown
in the diagram on page 17.

If you can't raise the coupler up the pole very high, you could mount
it as high as possible on the pole, and run the hot lead up beside the
pole (separated as far as possible) loop it thru an insulator near the
top of the pole and continue trying to get as much wire out as
possible.

I imagine that if I walked thru your garden and saw it in person, I
would make different suggestions, but based on my perception of what I
have never seen, I can only take a bit of a guess.

Let me know how it goes.

Thanks

--
73 for now
Buck, N4PGW

www.lumpuckeroo.com

"Small - broadband - efficient: pick any two."

Old April 25th 08, 05:39 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Barrett, Sorry for the delay,

I have been pretty busy, but I have time tonight to answer this
better.

A picture is worth 1000 words

Based on your pictures, I am guessing you live in the apartment at one
end of the g5rv and the other end is at a shed or carport.

At the apartment, I would mount the antenna coupler to the wall, up
high if possible, but if not, as high as possible, even if it is just
above the ground.
Then run a wire from the coupler to near the roof of the apartment
and across to the far end of where the G5RV is. Then run a ground
wire strait down to one of your ground rods. then take any excess
wire and bury it in your garden under the long wire in the air.

You should have fairly good communications on all bands. If for some
reason one of your bands does not properly tune, then start trimming
off the far end of the wire about 1-2 inches at the time. I don't
think you will have that problem, but it should work if you do.

Before you do, make sure all connections are good.

Again, sorry for the delay.

73 for now.
Buck
N4PGW

Old April 28th 08, 08:52 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Buck, don't worry about the delay. I'm a family man myself and there doesn't
seem to be much time for anything else, but the family and home.

I've run the wire like you suggested and it tunes up fine. Not had time to
properly test yet, hopefully this weekend.
I will let you know how I get on. Thanks for your help.

73 Andy

wrote:

Buck, here are some photo's of the antenna at the moment. The new one will
have to be in a similar position.
http://www.hobby.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/antenna/3.jpg
http://www.hobby.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/antenna/4.jpg

Not sure what to cover the SGC with to keep the rain out. Plus it will be
in
direct sun all day on top of the pole. Garden is Roughly North to south..
South being at the pole end of the garden.
I can disconnect the homebrew G5RV and move the ugly coax balun I made up
the pole and add some new coax in-between. I know its a lot of connections
but it will have to do for the time being.

Hope this helps.

--
73 for now
Buck, N4PGW

www.lumpuckeroo.com

"Small - broadband - efficient: pick any two."

Randomwire .vs. Endfed Windom GeorgeF Antenna 17 May 17th 05 12:01 AM
Endfed zepp questions gil Antenna 4 March 5th 05 11:59 AM
-WANTED- Wire Measurer -or- Wire Meter -or- Wire counter Bill Hansen Swap 0 August 21st 04 11:47 PM
WANTED:: Wire Measurer -or- Wire Meter -or- Wire Counter . Bill Hansen General 0 August 21st 04 11:45 PM
40m Endfed vertical QRP question Need Help Please Antenna 5 May 13th 04 07:36 AM