Old May 14th 05, 07:41 PM
GeorgeF

Default Randomwire .vs. Endfed Windom

I am currently using a 150' randomwire for 80 & 40 meters. Its
connected to the "wire" terminal of an MFJ-949 tuner. Been happy so far
with the conntacts made.

I'm considering taking an turning it into an endfeed windom simply by
running 450 ohm ladder line from the MFJ-949 to the top of my 30' mast
which current supports the randomwire. I'll be cutting the randomwire
at the mast and soldering one side of the 450 line while letting the
otherside of the 450 line not attached to anything.

Is there any advantage of doing this? Basically I'm taking a 150'
randomwire and turning it into about a 120' endfeed windom, will it be
worth the effort?

George
Old May 14th 05, 08:02 PM
Cecil Moore

GeorgeF wrote:
I'm considering taking an turning it into an endfeed windom ...

Uhhh George, where did you get the idea that there is such
a thing as an "endfeed windom"?
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old May 14th 05, 09:21 PM
GeorgeF

Cecil Moore wrote:

GeorgeF wrote:

I'm considering taking an turning it into an endfeed windom ...

Uhhh George, where did you get the idea that there is such
a thing as an "endfeed windom"?

Sorry, thinking one thing and writing something else. I meant to say
End-fed Zepp. Is there much of a difference between an end-fed zepp
and a randomwire?

George
Old May 14th 05, 10:10 PM
John Smith

George:

If we attribute the randomwire to Mr. Zepp--won't Mr. Random be slighted?
all-in-fun-grin

Warmest regards,
John
--
Marbles can be used in models with excellent results! However, if forced
to keep using all of mine up... I may end up at a disadvantage... I seem

ink.net...

Old May 14th 05, 10:22 PM
Cecil Moore

GeorgeF wrote:
Is there much of a difference between an end-fed zepp and a randomwire?

Heh, heh, 100% difference. An end-fed Zepp is a single-band antenna.
A random wire is, by definition, the opposite.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old May 14th 05, 11:11 PM
Bob Miller

On Sat, 14 May 2005 16:22:34 -0500, Cecil Moore
wrote:

GeorgeF wrote:
Is there much of a difference between an end-fed zepp and a randomwire?

Heh, heh, 100% difference. An end-fed Zepp is a single-band antenna.
A random wire is, by definition, the opposite.

But with an antenna tuner, couldn't the end-fed Zepp be multi-band?
That's what I see on page 7-2 of the arrl antenna book.

bob
k5qwg

Old May 15th 05, 04:27 AM
Cecil Moore

Bob Miller wrote:
Cecil Moore wrote:
But with an antenna tuner, couldn't the end-fed Zepp be multi-band?
That's what I see on page 7-2 of the arrl antenna book.

You can certainly use an end-fed Zepp on other bands but
it won't be a Zepp on those other bands. The definition of
a Zepp is 1/2WL long end-fed with 1/4WL open-wire feedline.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old May 15th 05, 06:28 PM
Joe S.

Holy ****!!! I just read this entire thread and it has rapidly deteriorated
into a pile of nonsense. It's a Zepp on one band but not on another but
then it's a windom no it's not yes it is why not becasue yadda yadda.

Remember this: Engineers designed the Titanic. Engineers also designed the
sky bridge at the Kansas City Raddison and engineeers desigend the roof of
the Hartford Civic Center. And engineers design antennas.

Just put the goddam wire up in the air, tie some kind of feedline to it, run
it through the antenna tuner, tune for zereo reflected power and make
contacts. All else is bull****.

--

-----

nk.net...

Old May 15th 05, 07:08 PM
John Smith

Well, we could do it that way alright...

Give us more time to get back and worship engineers acutally...

Warmest regards,
John
--
If "God"--expecting an angel... if evolution--expecting an alien... just
wondering if I will be able to tell the difference!

Dipole advise WTD JEFF UK Shortwave 3 November 30th 04 09:45 PM
Windom vs G5RV : 1-0 Thierry Antenna 0 October 4th 04 08:58 PM
carolina windom vs dipole Thierry Antenna 27 September 20th 04 12:30 AM
FS: 10-40 meter WINDOM Antenna - - New Bill Swap 0 September 3rd 04 06:50 PM
Carolina Windom Problem...any suggestions Pat Myers Antenna 11 April 29th 04 02:59 AM