Old July 14th 08, 01:15 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
ml ml is offline

Default ny area hidef antennas?

hi

i was just wondering once nyc hits the deadline to switch
broadcasting to digital if the channals we use now

2-13vhf would continue specifically would other channals in
that range be avail like say ch6

or will it just be say one or more digital channals stuffed into
the same space now occupied by ch2 for example depending on how cbs
wants to do it

also here uhf 14- had really only a few channels that were
broadcasting should we expect many new channels to be
broadcating in that range or just mostly same

wondering if were going to see a shift of the primary channels
here being more 14- vs the current heavy use of 2-13

reason being most have antennas that are really for 2-13 and
alot are wondering if the uhf is going to be hot they will obv
need to add new antennas

thanks
Old July 14th 08, 10:49 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
ml ml is offline

In article , ml
wrote:

[...]

could use a little help here i tried searching under google and
fcc i found alot of stuff marked proposed but nothing seemed
to indicate would would be after the current interm layouts ie
what it's going to be their plans after feb so if anyone has
any links or info i'd appreciate it much
Old July 15th 08, 09:00 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"ml" wrote in message
In article , ml
wrote:

[...]

This is exactly what you want:
http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_publi...CC-08-72A2.pdf . It's
alphabetical by state, so scroll down to NYC on page 34.

Yes, the action on UHF will be hot, since Channels 2 - 6 are not great for
digital TV signals and are being avoided.

Also, please note the existence of newsgroup alt.video.digital-tv which is
much more on-point for your question.

BTW, newsgroups are not for text-messages. Using punctuation and capital
letters makes it easier to read your questions. Thanks. (Or maybe tks ;-)

Old July 15th 08, 05:25 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Sal M. Onella wrote:

BTW, newsgroups are not for text-messages. Using punctuation and capital
letters makes it easier to read your questions. Thanks. (Or maybe tks ;-)

No big deal, but we should keep in mind he may be using his cell phone
to access USENET/internet ... I have done so one mine, but the darn
screen on the phone is so small--well, and my eyes so bad, I gave it
up--but, creating capitals on a cell phone is difficult/slow enough that
one soon abandons any attempt ...

Regards,
JS
Old July 15th 08, 11:10 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
ml ml is offline

In article ,
"Sal M. Onella" wrote:

"ml" wrote in message
In article , ml
wrote:

[...]

Thanks very much for the info, and that link.

I actually found a simular link, what i can't tell from the above
link, is if it reflects the current state todate or if it is the
planed/proposed listing for after Feb. .

Do you happen to know what that was listed under?? I tried to back
out of the link and just got error msg

thanks again very much

Old July 16th 08, 08:00 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"ml" wrote in message

snip

This is exactly what you want:
http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_publi...CC-08-72A2.pdf .

It's
alphabetical by state, so scroll down to NYC on page 34.

Yes, the action on UHF will be hot, since Channels 2 - 6 are not great

for
digital TV signals and are being avoided.

Also, please note the existence of newsgroup alt.video.digital-tv which

is
much more on-point for your question.

BTW, newsgroups are not for text-messages. Using punctuation and

capital
letters makes it easier to read your questions. Thanks. (Or maybe tks

;-)

Thanks very much for the info, and that link.

I actually found a simular link, what i can't tell from the above
link, is if it reflects the current state todate or if it is the
planed/proposed listing for after Feb. .

Do you happen to know what that was listed under?? I tried to back
out of the link and just got error msg

thanks again very much

I got it from www.tvfool.com . Near the top, find "Latest News" and click
"Updated Post-transition Records." On that page, it's the pdf link in the
third paragraph. That paragraph gives you a hint of where it came from:
http://www.fcc.gov/dtv/ but, so sorry, nothing on that page relates.

Furthermore -- and here it gets really depressing -- a search of fcc.gov for
"post transition," shows there's still a steady stream of fresh changes.
Just one, last week, Channel 49 in Bainbridge, Georgia, wants to be channel
50. Not a big Whoop for NYC, but what it really shows is that not
everything is nailed down.

Old July 16th 08, 10:16 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
ml ml is offline

In article ,
John Smith wrote:

Sal M. Onella wrote:

BTW, newsgroups are not for text-messages. Using punctuation and capital
letters makes it easier to read your questions. Thanks. (Or maybe tks ;-)

No big deal, but we should keep in mind he may be using his cell phone
to access USENET/internet ... I have done so one mine, but the darn
screen on the phone is so small--well, and my eyes so bad, I gave it
up--but, creating capitals on a cell phone is difficult/slow enough that
one soon abandons any attempt ...

Regards,
JS

thanks again everyone for responding

Sal, seems you encountered some of the same issues as I, so at least
i know i am not crazy, well, not toally

thanks
Old July 17th 08, 12:45 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

ml wrote:
In article , ml
wrote:

hi

i was just wondering once nyc hits the deadline to switch
broadcasting to digital if the channals we use now

2-13vhf would continue specifically would other channals in
that range be avail like say ch6

or will it just be say one or more digital channals stuffed into
the same space now occupied by ch2 for example depending on how cbs
wants to do it

also here uhf 14- had really only a few channels that were
broadcasting should we expect many new channels to be
broadcating in that range or just mostly same

As I understand it-- there will be (more, or less), no TV signals in
the LOW vhf (Channel 2-6), there will be some in the High (Ch 7-13 vhf),
and the bulk of the NEW High Def stations will be in the uhf rangeCh 14,
and up.
BUT to complicate matters, there will be NO MAJOR changes to the
existing NTSC programming , on Cable. Also, IF you are receiveing
your broadcasts from TRANSLATORS, their NTSC, and Freq assignments
WILL NOT CHANGE! Someone into tv broadcasting can give you a better
Defination than I can. As for DTV, to NTSC converters, there is a
$40 Coupon (2 per family) available from

https://www.dtv2009.gov/ApplyCoupon.aspx

Jim- NN7K
Old July 17th 08, 11:12 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Jim-NN7K wrote:
ml wrote:
In article , ml
wrote:

[...]

That is NOT correct. our local ABC affiliate is currently on channel 56
UHF and will be reverting to channel 5 VHF in Feb 2009. (at least that's
what they are telling us)
Old July 19th 08, 03:10 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Hasan Schiers" wrote in message
Jim-NN7K wrote:
ml wrote:
In article , ml
wrote:

hi

As I understand it-- there will be (more, or less), no TV signals in
the LOW vhf (Channel 2-6), there will be some in the High (Ch 7-13 vhf),
and the bulk of the NEW High Def stations will be in the uhf rangeCh 14,

That is NOT correct. our local ABC affiliate is currently on channel 56
UHF and will be reverting to channel 5 VHF in Feb 2009. (at least that's
what they are telling us)

Document http://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_publi...C-07-138A2.xls
is an 1800-record spreadsheet listing the current and proposed channels. Do
what I did and sort it on the NEW DTV channel numbers. You will discover,
as I did, that only a few dozen stations were headed for low-VHF after
transition.

Here are the actual numbers (after the sort):

Records 1 to 37 are on TV Channels 2 - 6
Records 38 to 487 are on TV channels 7 - 13
Records 488 to 1811 are on TV channels 14 - 51

http://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_publi...C-07-138A3.xls appears
to be a minor supplement to the big guy, having only 16 records:

Records 1 is on TV Channels 2 - 6
Records 2 to 5 are on TV channels 7 - 13
Records 6 to 13 are on TV channels 14 - 51

Trying to nail this down any better is like trying to nail Jello to the
wall.