Old July 18th 05, 04:16 PM
Steve Stone

Default NYC area - Using TV 6 to get on FM BCB ??

Some strange happenings around NYC maybe someone can help me better
understand.

First item:

There seems to be a TV channel 6 station on the air from NYC metro area
with the only reason to be on the air is to act like a FM station on
87.7. Any one have details on this ?

Second item:

A friend who works and travels from Lodi NJ to the Catskills in NY says
he is hearing a bunch of Spanish LPFM stations scattered across the
Hudson Valley , all on the same FM frequency, all playing the same
programming on a low end frequency that has never been assigned to any
radio station by the FCC in the country with one exception, and this is
not the exception. Could this be a pirate station with translators
linked by internet ? I think he said the freq was 87.9 but don't hold me
to that.

Steve

Old July 18th 05, 09:09 PM
Scott Dorsey

Steve Stone wrote:

First item:

There seems to be a TV channel 6 station on the air from NYC metro area
with the only reason to be on the air is to act like a FM station on
87.7. Any one have details on this ?

Almost certainly a pirate. All of the Haitian stations in Brooklyn at
the bottom of the band are definitely pirates.

Second item:

A friend who works and travels from Lodi NJ to the Catskills in NY says
he is hearing a bunch of Spanish LPFM stations scattered across the
Hudson Valley , all on the same FM frequency, all playing the same
programming on a low end frequency that has never been assigned to any
radio station by the FCC in the country with one exception, and this is
not the exception. Could this be a pirate station with translators
linked by internet ? I think he said the freq was 87.9 but don't hold me
to that.

87.9 is called "channel 200." It is assigned by the FCC only to stations
that have been forced to move from other noncommercial allocations, and of
course only in areas with no TV Channel 6 coverage.

Again, almost certainly a pirate.
--scott

Old July 18th 05, 09:09 PM
Doug Smith W9WI

Steve Stone wrote:
There seems to be a TV channel 6 station on the air from NYC metro area
with the only reason to be on the air is to act like a FM station on
87.7. Any one have details on this ?

Yeah, I've heard about this one. WNYZ-LP are the calls.

KZND-LP in Anchorage tried the same thing for awhile. Not sure if
they're still doing it. The FCC seems to have repealed the rule that
requires a station's audio be related to the video.

They do, however, require the station actually *have* video. From what
I've read, the Alaska station first didn't operate a visual transmitter,
only an aural. Word has it they were told that wouldn't fly.

A friend who works and travels from Lodi NJ to the Catskills in NY says
he is hearing a bunch of Spanish LPFM stations scattered across the
Hudson Valley , all on the same FM frequency, all playing the same
programming on a low end frequency that has never been assigned to any
radio station by the FCC in the country with one exception, and this is
not the exception. Could this be a pirate station with translators
linked by internet ? I think he said the freq was 87.9 but don't hold me
to that.

87.9 is certainly a popular frequency for pirates. The only two
legitimate stations on that frequency in the U.S. are near San Francisco
and near Reno, Nev.. And *maybe* that experimental station in Texas is
still authorized.
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN EM66

Old July 20th 05, 10:19 PM

On 18 Jul 2005 20:09:39 GMT, Doug Smith W9WI
wrote:

87.9 is certainly a popular frequency for pirates. The only two
legitimate stations on that frequency in the U.S. are near San Francisco
and near Reno, Nev.. And *maybe* that experimental station in Texas is
still authorized.

Unless you happen to be in a market with an analog TV C h. 6.

Then it's not so popular...

Now, taking this just a bit further...when the time comes that
over-the-air analog goes off-the-air, I'm wondering if frequencies
like 87.9 & 89.1 will REALLY start sprouting pirate signals.

Thoughts?

--K

Old July 21st 05, 03:49 PM
Blue Cat

"Steve Stone" wrote in message
Some strange happenings around NYC maybe someone can help me better
understand.

First item:

There seems to be a TV channel 6 station on the air from NYC metro area
with the only reason to be on the air is to act like a FM station on
87.7. Any one have details on this ?

There is a TV channel 6 in Philadelphia, an ABC affiliate. If you are in New
Jersey, say Union, you can easily pick it up on 87.7.

Old July 23rd 05, 08:42 AM

My friend,
I inquired on this newsgroup about this same issue on 87.7 a couple
of years ago when I heard reggae music being broadcast I was told that
it was most likely a pirate station. And I've listened to this
frequency this year in late spring-early summer and it was broadcasting
some kind of informercial programming during a.m. drive time, and after
about a week of that stuff, they switched to Russian language news and
info programming up until 9 a.m. and then they broadcast something that
sounded like hip-hop Russian style. I haven't tuned in recently.

I live in Nassau County and I can receive the station s9, q5.

Evan

Old July 23rd 05, 08:19 PM
Scott Dorsey

In article , wrote:
My friend,
I inquired on this newsgroup about this same issue on 87.7 a couple
of years ago when I heard reggae music being broadcast I was told that
it was most likely a pirate station. And I've listened to this
frequency this year in late spring-early summer and it was broadcasting
some kind of informercial programming during a.m. drive time, and after
about a week of that stuff, they switched to Russian language news and
info programming up until 9 a.m. and then they broadcast something that
sounded like hip-hop Russian style. I haven't tuned in recently.

Is there any visual carrier along with it?

This _is_ illegal unless there is a visual carrier, even if the station
is licensed. Of course, they could just be broadcasting a test pattern,
but they have to do at least that.
--scott

Old August 28th 05, 10:45 PM

KSFV-TV 6 in Los Angeles is another example (they really promote
themselves as FM 87.7!)