Old January 26th 09, 02:59 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default improve S/N for AM car radio by a factor of 2...5...10?

On Jan 25, 7:06*pm, Cecil Moore wrote:
wrote:
The rods are mounted horizontal, but are
receiving a vertical signal off the ends.

They don't receive worth a darn off the ends.
The don't receive worth a darn in a vertical
position. They are most effective when positioned
horizontal and broadside to the transmitting
antenna. One can take an AM radio, tune it to a
fringe station and run the test for oneself.
--
73, Cecil *http://www.w5dxp.com

I looked into some of those. And it does change
the pattern when you insert the rod into a coil.
I hadn't realized that. I was thinking the directional
properties stayed the same, with the rod only adding
extra inductance to tune a lower frequency.
I may have to try one of those to compare with
the other loops I use. I saw a few places that
sell large plastic coated rods for this purpose.

Old January 26th 09, 04:36 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Cecil wrote:
"Richard, what`s the MFJ part number?"
Not sure as I don`t have a catalog but searched on "MFJ ferrite loop
antenna" which yielded several responses including books, web sites, and
a Radio Nederland 'build your own loop" instruction page, several of
these mentioned MFJ 261 if my memory is correct. these responses assured
me there was at least one MFJ ferrite loopstick offered before I posted.
The right old radio would probably yield both variable capacitor and
loopstick for a portable directional BCB antenna.

Best regards, Richard Harrison, KB5WZI

Old January 26th 09, 04:41 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

I searched again on MFJ BCB ferrite loop antenna. The number immediately
appeared and was 1026 so my memory must have been wrong. It was not 261.

Best regards, Richard Harrison, KB5WZI