Old February 4th 09, 10:15 PM
Junior Member

Location: East Texas
Thumbs up "Arnie Coro Antenna"

I built this years ago as a quick antenna for receiving and transmitting. It is name after Havana Cuba's Arnie Coro, since He came up with it over 20 years ago.

1. Take a 45 ft/15 meter 52 ohm Coax, or multiples up or down.
2. Dress it as center conductor and braid on both ends.
3. Solder a 50 OHM resisitor on one end, connecting the center and the braid.
4. On the other end, solder a piece of coax. with braid to center conductor, center conductor to braid. On the other end, solder a PL-259, or whatever your rig accepts.. Then connect it to your receiver/transmitter.
5. You now have a balanced, low noise antenna. I would suggest a 10 watt or hgher resistor for the amount of power you are going to use if transmitting.
__________________
Extra Class
Volunteer Examiner
ARRL Instructor
Old February 5th 09, 12:13 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default "Arnie Coro Antenna"

--
KE5LDO

It's not April 1, 2009 yet... :/

Old February 5th 09, 12:56 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Wed, 4 Feb 2009 22:15:09 +0000, KE5LDO
wrote:

I built this years ago as a quick antenna for receiving and
transmitting. It is name after Havana Cuba's Arnie Coro, since He came
up with it over 20 years ago.

Did Fidel put Arnie against the wall when he published how to
construct a TRANSMITTING antenna?

He should have if for no other reason than the arbitrary instructions:

1. Take a 45 ft/15 meter 52 ohm Coax, or multiples up or down.

What significance is 45 feet (or 15 meters)? Is this a magic number?

2. Dress it as center conductor and braid on both ends.

Dress right, or dress left?

3. Solder a 50 OHM resisitor on one end, connecting the center and the
braid.

Wouldn't a 50 Ohm resistor present a SWR of 1.04:1? This isn't about
efficiency, is it?

4. On the other end, solder a piece of coax. with braid to center
conductor, center conductor to braid. On the other end, solder a
PL-259, or whatever your rig accepts.. Then connect it to your
receiver/transmitter.

Shouldn't this be 4(a) and 4(b)?

For 4(a) What happened to the resistor?

For 4(b) Why the connector? Just run the existing line out to 4(a)

5. You now have a balanced, low noise antenna. I would suggest a 10
watt or hgher resistor for the amount of power you are going to use if
transmitting.

Why would you use a resistor for receiving? If it were for
transmitting, I can see why Cuba is still under domination by the
Castros.

Something must have been lost in translation - or maybe the process of
getting through the communist censors. Perhaps this was the CIA
antenna design for the Bay of Pigs.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC
Old February 5th 09, 04:13 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

wrote:

[...]

You can look up Arnie's website on Google, go there, and read for
yourself what Arnie's idea of an antenna is. The poster is pulling a
fast one.
73,
Tom Donaly, KA6RUH
Old February 5th 09, 07:41 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

wrote:

[...]

no no,
that is the perfect example of a dummy load with a radiating cable.

w.

Old February 5th 09, 07:43 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Tom Donaly" wrote in message

You can look up Arnie's website on Google, go there, and read for
yourself what Arnie's idea of an antenna is. The poster is pulling a
fast one.

Arnie Coro's website does discuss the item described.
http://www.mail-archive.com/hard-cor.../msg18595.html
He doesn't claim it works well (nor should he).

At one point he describes burying it to stealth it. When I was moving an
antenna, I had both dipole elements laying on the ground but still
connected. Just for laughs, I tuned it up. I could hear a few other people
but nobody could hear me. I think burying an HF antenna should be followed
by a shopping trip for some writing paper and stamps. You'll need 'em.

Old February 5th 09, 04:05 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

wrote:

[...]

-
At one time, I lived in an apartment and used a similar, shorter antenna for
2 meter operation via a repeater. It was easy to build, and worked fine
because I didn't need much signal to hit the repeater.
--Wayne

Old February 5th 09, 04:38 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Wayne........That's interesting.....Can you elaborate on that 2 meter
antenna you had? I wonder if one were to make a longer version would it
have gain & a wider bandwidth?

Old February 5th 09, 05:09 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Spin" wrote in message
Wayne........That's interesting.....Can you elaborate on that 2 meter
antenna you had? I wonder if one were to make a longer version would it
have gain & a wider bandwidth?

Sure. However, I'm not recommending it for anything. As I recall it was a
quarter wave of coax terminated in a 10 watt dummy load. The quarter wave
was connected as previously described, with the shield of the quarter wave
connected to the center conductor of the feedline and the shield of the
feedline connected to the center conductor of tthe quarter wave. I was just
trying to get a dummy load to radiate enough for a short path to a repeater.
(Transmitter ran 10 watts)

At a different time, I simply terminated a feedline (low quality RShack
RG-58) with a 10 watt carbon resistor (unshielded and 3 inch leads). It
worked about the same.

However, remember that I was only trying to hit a single repeater, and a
whip antenna with just a few milliwatts would have worked on that particular
path. The "antenna" was very poor, but there may be paths where it is an
acceptable compromise.

Old February 5th 09, 05:23 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Wayne wrote:
"Spin" wrote in message
[...]

Think of this as a variant on taking a 1/4 wave of wire and attaching it
to the center conductor of the feedline (or, just stripping 1/4wave of
shield off the coax) with no choke, balun, or anything else. It's a sort
of sleeve dipole: The "outside" of the feedline coax essentially acts as
the other half of the dipole.

Depending on where it's installed, it might work, might not. No
decoupling means that the whole feedline potentially radiates, etc.
Probably no worse than a lot of other improvised antennas.

Put a really good choke around the coax at the 1/4 wave point, and it
starts to look better, but, having the feedline essentially hanging off
the end of the dipole means that you've got conductors in the high E
field part of the antenna, so there will be capacitive coupling.

Doing the Coro style thing with the resistor, etc, in effect makes this
another of the many "resistively loaded dipole" schemes where you give
up some efficiency in exchange for a better match. No different in
concept (although different in design) from the T2FD sorts of things
from B&W, etc.