Old May 12th 09, 02:08 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Be careful when using Excel

Richard Clark wrote:
On Mon, 11 May 2009 18:41:31 -0500, Tom Ring
wrote:

ERLANG is a very interesting language and has been released as open
source. See

http://erlang.org/

Hi Tom,

Tell me more (a quick synopsis). My group has been working on the
Netflix Prize in Python.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

Quickly then.

ERLANG is a language made for highly reliable systems control.

It will run the same cooperative code on very different systems.

It will allow fully transparent failover between systems.

Programming to handle failover with no loss of control state or data
stream is central to the language design.

The systems using this for cell handling are claimed to be able to
handle the primary having catastrophic failure, switching to the
secondary, and not dropping a single byte of the stream.

The language was originally designed for telecom, but has had more
generic capabilities added.

I am not an expert nor even a newbie on this. I saw a a one hour talk
on it last late summer. I was expecting a presentation on statistics
and got something completely different.

I am getting back into programming just to tune my mind up, and this is
one of the languages I will be including.

tom
K0TAR
Old May 17th 09, 11:58 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Sat, 09 May 2009 08:18:08 -0700, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

I haven't checked how Open Office 3 and others do it. My guess(tm) is
that they all treat the negation operator the same as subtraction which
would be (correctly) evaluated AFTER exponentiation, multiplication, and
division.

12 in Excel
12 in Open Office
12 in iWork 09 Numbers

--
/Users/alex/Documents/Sigs/AB2RC
Old June 12th 09, 07:42 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Jeff Liebermann wrote in
:

On Sun, 10 May 2009 20:10:46 GMT, Owen Duffy wrote:

The early versions of Excel did have very good compatibility. One

cannot
say that about OpenOffice, last time I looked it did not support VBA,

VBA support was added in Open Office 2.x:
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/VBA

Oh well, having opened a spreadsheet with VBA macros, and clicked away an
error box a hundred time, I got to the point where the macros were
visible and I could see that the OO implementation would not tell me the
number of rows in a variant array of variants passed as argument #1.

I will look again in a few years.

Looks good, but it sure doesn't work like Excel 2000, not yet anyway.

Owen

Old June 15th 09, 09:44 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Owen Duffy" wrote in message
Looks good, but it sure doesn't work like Excel 2000, not yet anyway.

The program that works like Excel 2000 the best will always be... Excel 2000.

The vast majority of Excel spreadsheets are just "data" without any macros,
and import into OO without difficulty. As soon as you start adding automation
to those Excel spreadsheets, though, you're venturing into waters where OO
might still be a good choice, but you definitely have to start planning on
spending time fixing things. This is true with any other spread that claims
to be able to import Excel files as well... although certainly some will tend
to be better or worse than OO in specific instances.

Old April 21st 12, 11:06 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Fri, 8 May 2009 18:36:08 +0200, "Antonio Vernucci"
wrote:

I think this message can be of interest for those using Excel for antenna
calculations.

Write in one cell: =(-A1^2 + 8) Note: the exponent of A1 is 2 (and not
2+8=10) because Excel performs squaring before summing

Write in another cell: =(8 - A1^2)

They look pretty much the same

But give A1 any non-zero value and see what happen.

73

Tony I0JX
Rome, Italy

That's funny.
I would improve for clarity by putting spaces between

Write in one cell: =(- A1^2 + 8) .......... (result xxx(censored)
Write in another cell: =(8 - A1^2).............(result x(censored))

The result is same a yours, despite the spaces.
You may also enter negative numbers in A1 and also
decimal numbers, everytime a surprise.

Another Microsoft blunder?

w.

Old April 21st 12, 06:13 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

wrote:

[...]

No. Excel's parser can't always tell whether you want to negate A1
before squaring or not. Don't be lazy; group with parentheses when in doubt.

-(A1^2) + 8
works exactly the same as
8 - (A1^2)
Old April 21st 12, 09:21 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
joe joe is offline

wrote:

[...]

The blunder is not understanding operator precedence in Excel.

Unary operators are before exponentiation.

Using more parentheses generally helps.

-A1^2 is interpreted as (-A1)^2 not -(A1^2)