Old June 12th 09, 04:36 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Hygain 18AVT v 18AVQ

Hello,
Can anyone tell me the difference between the Hygain 18AVQ and the 18AVT
verticals?

A copy in pdf of the manual would be very welcome.

Many thanks
John VK2KC

Old June 12th 09, 03:52 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Fri, 12 Jun 2009 03:36:58 GMT, VK2KC wrote:

Can anyone tell me the difference between the Hygain 18AVQ and the 18AVT
verticals?

A hundred years ago I had the older one -- I forget now which of the "T"
or "Q". The older one had large black plastic, old style 2-lb
coffee-can-sized (for the rest of the world: approx. 20cm Dia. x 10cm H),
coil and capacitor traps.

I obtained mine used and, in reality, it was a 12AVT-or-Q. I don't know
if it was sold that-a-way: a 10-15-20M model, or if it was "re-engineered"
before I got it.

Anyway, I believe the difference was in the traps -- the newer models
being of the "aluminium sleeve" style.

HTH
Jonesy
--
Marvin L Jones | jonz | W3DHJ | linux
Old June 12th 09, 04:09 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

http://www.hy-gain.com/man/pdf/AV-18AVQII.pdf

http://www.hy-gain.com/man/pdf/AV-18AVT.pdf

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN
Old June 13th 09, 12:46 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Thanks Bert,
But I have already been there and done that, and I do appreciate your time
in replying to my query. I have copies of the online manuals of both of the
antennae that you refer to.

So the question still remains, what is an AV-18AVQ???

Someone out there in Ham Radio Land must have a copy of a manual for the
AV-18AVQ in PDF format and would like to share it.

Cheers & 73
John
VK2KC

Old June 15th 09, 08:29 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

I see someone sent you the pages to get PDF's of both verticals. I recall
that the 18AVT is an upgrade to the original 18AVQ with wider bandwidth on
80(75).

Dave K4JRB

Old June 15th 09, 11:54 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Hello David,
No I wasn't sent the pages, but links to the 18-AVQII and the 18-AVT, which
I thank the sender.
I had on file the manuals for both of them, I had done a "google" on them
some time ago.
But I am still looking for a copy of a manual for the AV-18AVQ.
Many thanks for your reply.
73
John
VK2KC

Old June 18th 09, 04:32 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"VK2KC" wrote in news:u3kYl.18128$y61.1569@news-
server.bigpond.net.au:

Hello,
Can anyone tell me the difference between the Hygain 18AVQ and the 18AVT
verticals?

A copy in pdf of the manual would be very welcome.

I cannot tell you about the difference, as I never had the opportunity to
test them both in the same place. My 18AVQ was in an urban backyard in
Richnmond BC and worked adequately but was not really stellar, possibly
because of local noises from old tube type TV sets still very common at the
time.

The 18AVT was in a salt marsh in a remote location offshore in the
Atlantic well away from housing. I worked all continents on 75M SSB the
night after I put it up!

--
Dave Oldridge+
ICQ 454777283

18AVQ details required JERD Antenna 4 January 21st 08 07:27 AM
Hygain AV-18S VK2KCE Antenna 0 November 16th 07 04:23 AM
Hy-Gain 18AVT/WB-S Denis O' Flynn Antenna 2 October 27th 04 08:20 AM
Hygain 18AVT/WB Parts Traps, 80m coil whip etc. Alan Caplan Antenna 0 August 9th 03 08:00 PM
WANT....Hygain 203 BA Marty B. Swap 0 July 26th 03 08:39 PM