Old July 31st 09, 03:51 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Has "antenna" died?

Dear Group: While I attend only now-and-then, it seems as it has been days
since new communications have been posted.

Something might have changed with my ISP or I asserted some secret
instruction.

73, Mac N8TT

--
J. McLaughlin; Michigan, USA
Home:

Old July 31st 09, 04:35 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
tom tom is offline

J. Mc Laughlin wrote:
Dear Group: While I attend only now-and-then, it seems as it has been days
since new communications have been posted.

Something might have changed with my ISP or I asserted some secret
instruction.

73, Mac N8TT

You're fine. Sometimes it's just quiet.

Art is in an institution or fresh back with good meds. Others are
probably busy with it being summer. Those of us in the upper midwest
haven't had a "normal" summer yet this year which is just fine by me.
Bring on the drought, bring on more cold summers!

tom
K0TAR
Old July 31st 09, 05:35 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna
Ed Ed is offline

Art is in an institution or fresh back with good meds. Others are
probably busy with it being summer. Those of us in the upper midwest
haven't had a "normal" summer yet this year which is just fine by me.
Bring on the drought, bring on more cold summers!

Tom, this wierd summer ( or lack of it ) has applied to the Pacific
Northwest, too.... except for the past week.

Ed K7AAT

Old July 31st 09, 06:43 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Thu, 30 Jul 2009 22:51:24 -0400, "J. Mc Laughlin"
wrote:

Dear Group: While I attend only now-and-then, it seems as it has been days
since new communications have been posted.

Hi Mac,

'tis the nature of things. Participation has been falling from the
peak of 1999-2001, down by about 6dB on average, but 10dB for July (if
posting volume were power, mostly dissipated heat; double that if you
think of postings as lost potential).

The posting count follows the classic battleship curve of emerging
then declining fads, fashion, schools of thought, what-have-you social
trends. We are now as engaged as we were in 1995. Consult:
http://groups.google.com/group/rec.r...na/about?hl=en

I would not speculate or offer that counts indicate quality, however.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC
Old July 31st 09, 01:46 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Ed" wrote in message
. 192.196...

Art is in an institution or fresh back with good meds. Others are
probably busy with it being summer. Those of us in the upper midwest
haven't had a "normal" summer yet this year which is just fine by me.
Bring on the drought, bring on more cold summers!

Tom, this wierd summer ( or lack of it ) has applied to the Pacific
Northwest, too.... except for the past week.

Ed K7AAT

but at least all the 'normal' kooks are taking a vacation or got their meds
caught up. sure reduces the noise level in here quite a bit.

Old July 31st 09, 02:51 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

tom wrote:
... bring on more cold summers!

Caused, no doubt, by Global Warming. :-)
--
73, Cecil, IEEE, OOTC, http://www.w5dxp.com
Old July 31st 09, 03:11 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Dear Richard and Group: Ah so!

Since I have taken to automating the purging of notes from authors-of-noise,
it occurred to me that I might have turned up the squelch too high. I am
relieved to know that is probably not the case.

In the matter of antennas: my esteemed colleague AB8T's EM class' antenna
project was a great success. Students designed UHF TV antennas (Channels
14-51) using EZNEC5+, constructed the antennas, and then had their
performance compared to expected. It was an opportunity for students to
learn-by-doing in several areas. As readers on this group know well,
antennas involve several areas of science and engineering. The one
important area not covered because it was thought too far from EM, was the
issue of survivability in the presence of wind/ice loads.

73, Mac N8TT

--
J. McLaughlin; Michigan, USA
Home:

Old July 31st 09, 05:57 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Fri, 31 Jul 2009 10:11:32 -0400, "J. Mc Laughlin"
wrote:

Dear Richard and Group: Ah so!

Since I have taken to automating the purging of notes from authors-of-noise,
it occurred to me that I might have turned up the squelch too high. I am
relieved to know that is probably not the case.

In the matter of antennas: my esteemed colleague AB8T's EM class' antenna
project was a great success. Students designed UHF TV antennas (Channels
14-51) using EZNEC5+, constructed the antennas, and then had their
performance compared to expected. It was an opportunity for students to
learn-by-doing in several areas. As readers on this group know well,
antennas involve several areas of science and engineering. The one
important area not covered because it was thought too far from EM, was the
issue of survivability in the presence of wind/ice loads.

Hi Mac,

It sounds like you will survive this fading battleship curve by having
secured your own life boat with these class projects - congratulations
to AB8T.

Myself, I find more interesting "antenna" applications being designed
at the nanoscale in a remarkable field called Surface Plasmon
Resonance.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC
Old July 31st 09, 11:32 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Richard Clark" ha scritto nel messaggio

Myself, I find more interesting "antenna" applications being designed
at the nanoscale in a remarkable field called Surface Plasmon
Resonance.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

Myself, still keep alive the interest on antenna and this group simply with
a rock-stable state of mind that concern in don't ever buy a commercial
antenna.

My 2 cents,

-.-. --.-