Old September 24th 09, 04:56 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Aluminium oxide removal

"Richard Clark" wrote in message
On Thu, 24 Sep 2009 10:19:35 -0400, "
wrote:

Michael Coslo wrote:
Richard Clark wrote:

The corriolus force (twisting) might work too.

Well, done, sir, well done!

Not that well, he could have spelled it correctly,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coriolis_effect

It was spelled according to the British-American system of Illinoise.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC

* 'Two countries separated by the same language'.

Chris

Old September 24th 09, 05:01 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"Michael Coslo" wrote in message
tk5ep Patrick Egloff wrote:

Thanks for your suggestion.
I'm surprised to receive so few answers to a problem that seemed very
trivial to me...
You can get dozens of answers for a patent problem but only one to a
daily problem that every ham has encountered at least once in his life

Well, its pretty hard to improve on John's method. 8^)

In the interest of furthering the conversation, it might turn to what to
do about that corrosion and general poor looks of the aluminum at present

Some folks advise using steel wool to remove the surface tarnish, others
caution that particles of steel will embed themselves in the tubing and
cause rust.

There is brass wool that would negate that, as well as Stainless or copper
wool.

Those 3M 'Scotchbrite' pads work well too. There's a surface treatment that
used to be known as 'alochrome' (or similar spelling) in the UK that does
wonderful things to aluminium alloy surfaces - it's just a dip (but its
probably a combination of substances prohibited by the HSE nowadays).

Chris

Old September 24th 09, 05:49 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Michael Coslo a exprimé avec précision :
tk5ep Patrick Egloff wrote:

Thanks for your suggestion.
I'm surprised to receive so few answers to a problem that seemed very
trivial to me...
You can get dozens of answers for a patent problem but only one to a daily
problem that every ham has encountered at least once in his life

Well, its pretty hard to improve on John's method. 8^)

In the interest of furthering the conversation, it might turn to what to do
about that corrosion and general poor looks of the aluminum at present

Some folks advise using steel wool to remove the surface tarnish, others
caution that particles of steel will embed themselves in the tubing and cause
rust.

There is brass wool that would negate that, as well as Stainless or copper
wool.

If you really wanted to pretty the thing up, you could chuck the elements in
a drill and use aluminum polish.

One thing that I might try the next time I have to do this is to use some
motorcycle wheel cleaner on the tubing. It works a trick on my bike's wheels.
You spray it on, then brush it around, then rinse it off. Wear gloves and
don't let it sit too long, as it's a bit caustic.

Then the really big thing is upon re-assembly, you'll really want to use some
oxide prevention creme on every joint. I've bought some at the local Hardware
store, it's inexpensive and a tube will last a lifetime. Sounds like the
original assembly didn't use that.

-73 de Mike N3LI -

Hi all,

Thanks for these constructive answers...
My problem is that a local ham passed away and his widow asked me to
remove all antennas.
The only yagi he had was a 203BA. For transportation and reuse of this
antenna, i need to dismantle it. I was not able the separate the boom
in 2 pieces nor could i dismantle 3 half elements.

My first problem is the do that without breaking or deforming
something. Once this has been done i will clean the element parts that
have to be in contact together. I will leave the other parts corroded
by the aluminium oxide which is makes good "natural" protection.

I will try to heat the joints, all my other efforts did not help...
Unfortunately i could not carry the parts in my small car and i have to
wait the widows return to continue my work.

I was thinking of a chemical solution to remove the oxide without any
pain, but i think i will continue as far : "may the force be with you".

Thanks,

Old September 25th 09, 05:50 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Thu, 24 Sep 2009 09:32:28 -0400, Michael Coslo
wrote:

The delivery man just dropped off
a new Ameritron AL-80B amplifier today, I am getting ready to open the
box...

Gonna bark big, eh?

- 73 de N3LI -

In my 48 years of Amateur Radio this is a new direction. I have never
had more than 100 watts available.
Besides, it was a 49 year anniversary present from the XYL!

John Ferrell W8CCW