Old October 7th 09, 11:10 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default The Need for Trolls - How Nonsense Sharpens the Intellect (but not the Troll's intellect)

from NYT article of the same name ("How Nonsense...") @
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/06/health/06mind.html?em

"...when a hiker stumbles across an easy chair
sitting deep in the woods, as if dropped from
the sky - the brain gropes for something, anything
that makes sense. It may retreat to a familiar
ritual, like checking equipment. But it may also
turn its attention outward, the researchers argue,
and notice, say, a pattern in animal tracks that
was previously hidden. The urge to find a
coherent pattern makes it more likely that
the brain will find one."

Lest Art or Stefan stumble into this as vindication, the easy chair is
their wild notions, we are the hikers that are left with the
nonsensical application who then gain heightened perception. Students
who were subjected to a story by Kafka (and anyone who has read
through a tortured thread started by Art has experienced a lifetime's
exposure to Kafka poisoning) were then tested in their ability to
discover hidden patterns:

"The fact that the group who read the absurd story
identified more letter strings suggests that they were
more motivated to look for patterns than the others,"
Dr. Heine said. "And the fact that they were more
accurate means, we think, that they’re forming new
patterns they wouldn’t be able to form otherwise."

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC
Old October 8th 09, 04:59 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Oct 7, 5:10*pm, Richard Clark wrote:
from NYT article of the same name ("How Nonsense...") @http://www.nytimes..com/2009/10/06/health/06mind.html?em

* * * * "...when a hiker stumbles across an easy chair
* * * * sitting deep in the * * woods, as if dropped from
* * * * the sky - the brain gropes for something, anything
* * * * that makes sense.

Ya know, that don't sound like a half bad idea. I might just
have to do that some day. :/ I have the usual lawn type chairs,
but a thick padded recliner sounds like the cats ass.
Vinyl of course, due to the usual fowl fallout I'd probably encounter.
:/
Of course I'd then be motivated to add an end table for my radio,
small fridge to keep adult beverages, snacks, etc. Maybe a
flat screen so I can watch Wonder Woman and Lonesome Dove.
I wonder how a lost hiker would deal with something like that?
Would they bark at the moon? Or just sit down and drink all
my adult beverages while watching reruns of Lost in Space?
Only The Shadow and young Will Robinson know for sure.

Old October 8th 09, 07:09 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

wrote in message
[...]

**********
This would be a good way to avoid ever getting lost. Just sit down in the
chair, and another hiker is CERTAIN to amble along to ask you what you are
doing!

Old October 8th 09, 07:49 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Wayne wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

If you come across one in this part of the country, it's much more
likely to be an unpleasant guy with an A-47. You've probably stumbled
across a major marijuana growing operation, and the smart thing to do is
get the %@$! outta there before he ambles along.

Roy Lewallen, W7EL
Old October 8th 09, 09:54 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Oct 8, 1:09*pm, "Wayne" wrote:
wrote in message

On Oct 7, 5:10 pm, Richard Clark wrote:

from NYT article of the same name ("How Nonsense...")
@http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/06/health/06mind.html?em

"...when a hiker stumbles across an easy chair
sitting deep in the woods, as if dropped from
the sky - the brain gropes for something, anything
that makes sense.

Ya know, that don't sound like a half bad idea. I might just
have to do that some day. *:/ *I have the usual lawn type chairs,
but a thick padded recliner sounds like the cats ass.
Vinyl of course, due to the usual fowl fallout I'd probably encounter.
*:/
Of course I'd then be motivated to add an end table for my radio,
small fridge to keep adult beverages, snacks, etc. Maybe a
flat screen so I can watch Wonder Woman and Lonesome Dove.
I wonder how a lost hiker would deal with something like that?
Would they bark at the moon? Or just sit down and drink all
my adult beverages while watching reruns of Lost in Space?
Only The Shadow and young Will Robinson know for sure.
**********
This would be a good way to avoid ever getting lost. *Just sit down in the
chair, and another hiker is CERTAIN to amble along to ask you what you are
doing!

In my case I would be the one asking questions. IE: Uh Hoss.. you do
know you are on private property don't you?
Myself, I'm never lost. I've usually got a GPS on me if I'm in the
woods. Besides, I don't own enough land to really get too lost.

I'm fixing to add surveillance devices to my place in the sticks.
IE: trail cameras. I just bought one a couple of weeks ago and
plan to plant it next time I get up there. I'm thinking about building
a home brew trail cam for my next one. I want one that gives me
ultra sharp color pix for daytime use so I think I'm going to build
one around a good camera. I'd like to plant another one near
my front gate so I can see if I get any trespassers coming in.
I could use the one I have now for that. It's got an IR flash for
night use, so you can't see any flash at all unless you look
directly at the cam, and then you just see a blob of red from
the LED's.
Actually, I've never had anyone come on my property since I've
owned it. Or at least while I was there. It's pretty secluded.
If anyone came around, they would be more likely to be
hunters than hikers. Deer and other varmints lurk about the place.
But the cams will let me know what's sneaking around when
I'm not there including the animals that roam the place.
But I think it would be kind of neat to have a recliner out in the
deep woods. I even have the perfect spot already in mind for it.
:/

Old October 9th 09, 12:00 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Oct 8, 3:54*pm, I scribbled..
I even have the perfect spot already in mind for it.
:/

Say like right about here.
http://home.comcast.net/~nm5k/chairsite.jpg
That would be a pretty good spot I think. There
is a creek bed to the left which flows some water
if there has been rain.
Naturally, a recliner chair might ugly up a nice setting
such as this, but I would colour coordinate "note UK
content" as to blend. So I would want a recliner in
say a forest green naugahyde. That should fit in and
not clash with the surroundings.
You could sit there for months and not see anything
but varmints. The birds would tweet, Bambi might
come up and see if I had any spare beverages, and
it would be a peaceful setting. Kind of like Pleasant
Valley. :/ Chortle..
BTW, ignore the crappy pix quality. That's off a
fairly cheap video camera that is not so hot at stills.
But you get the overall idea.