Old April 11th 10, 01:24 AM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Default Bamboo as antenna parts and supports

In article
,
" wrote:

On Apr 10, 10:10*am, kc9pbu wrote:

I would also be interested to see if someone knows of a way to
jigsaw the pieces properly and maybe use hose clamps to create
sections longer than 12 feet.

My thought exactly. Maybe some kind of scarf joint or other and hose
clamps. How about multiple (3?) canes with butt/scarf joints
staggered along the length? Dowels maybe?

FYI, bamboo is a weed and grows like all heck!
Old April 11th 10, 03:00 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

Bamboo is making a resurgence. Not only might you find ideas in older
books, but newer ones as well. ARRL's 2008 "Simple and Fun Antennas
for Hams" details the use of bamboo for a wire antenna. On page 16 of
Chapter five, the author recommends using "vinyl electrical tape to
secure the wire to bamboo to make antenna elements."

In that article they are using it as a mast in an inverted-L wire
antenna. I could imagine using bamboo as spreaders for a folded
dipole, or as supports for a yagi or loop and just attaching wire to
the bamboo to create elements. Using a saw to create a notch in the
end of the bamboo would make it great for running wire across the
ends.

I wonder what the maximum support length for a piece of bamboo would
be? I would also be interested to see if someone knows of a way to
jigsaw the pieces properly and maybe use hose clamps to create
sections longer than 12 feet.

KC9PBU

Works Cited
Hutchinson, Chuck, and Dean Straw. Simple and Fun Antennas for Hams.
N.p.: The
* * *American Radio Relay League, Inc, 2008. Print.

http://www.edinphoto.org.uk/0_MY_P_F...lding_hy17.jpg

Jimmie

Bamboo is a good resource. On the other end of the scale I recall that
Post made a good Slide Rule in the 1950's from Bamboo. I still prefer
my Dietzgen though.

I wonder if it could be cultivated in North Carolina?
John Ferrell W8CCW
Old April 11th 10, 04:52 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Sun, 11 Apr 2010 10:00:45 -0400, John Ferrell
wrote:

I wonder if it could be cultivated in North Carolina?

Hi John,

More's the problem of getting rid of it if it becomes a nuisance.

It probably will if you pick the wrong specie. Bamboo propagates
(imagine, talking about plants and still being "on topic") through
the roots and those roots quickly propagate far and wide. You either
have to put in deep root barriers, or have neighbors that like a
living fence (which might be another problem through CCRs). Bamboo
generally likes wet (read soggy) soil.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC
Old April 11th 10, 05:16 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"John Ferrell" wrote in message

[...]

Another Dietzgen head? Probably drink chardonnay also snort Post is the
only way to go
heh heh
--Wayne

Old April 11th 10, 05:58 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

"John Ferrell" wrote in message

I wonder if it could be cultivated in North Carolina?
John Ferrell W8CCW

I don't know about cultivated, but in the mid part of NC it will grow like
the weed it is. If planted, you may have trouble getting rid of it.

Old April 11th 10, 06:05 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Apr 11, 12:58*pm, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:
"John Ferrell" wrote in message

I wonder if it could be cultivated in North Carolina?
John Ferrell W8CCW

I don't know about cultivated, but in the mid part of NC it will grow like
the weed it is. *If planted, you may have trouble getting rid of it.

might crowd out the kudzu ;^)
Old April 11th 10, 06:32 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

On Sun, 11 Apr 2010 09:16:25 -0700, "Wayne"
wrote:

Jimmie

Bamboo is a good resource. On the other end of the scale I recall that
Post made a good Slide Rule in the 1950's from Bamboo. I still prefer
my Dietzgen though.

Another Dietzgen head? Probably drink chardonnay also snort Post is the
only way to go
heh heh
--Wayne

K&E, then later a 5" circular Pickett for use at the bench.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC
Old April 11th 10, 06:34 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

wrote:

I wonder if it could be cultivated in North Carolina?

Hi John,

More's the problem of getting rid of it if it becomes a nuisance.

It probably will if you pick the wrong specie. Bamboo propagates
(imagine, talking about plants and still being "on topic") through
the roots and those roots quickly propagate far and wide.

There are two major types of bamboo. Richard's description matches the
running type. The clumping type is not highly invasive and its spread
is easy to control.

You either
have to put in deep root barriers, or have neighbors that like a
living fence (which might be another problem through CCRs). Bamboo
generally likes wet (read soggy) soil.

According to the Maryland Cooperative Extension Service
- quote -
Bamboo grows best in a fertile, well-drained soil rich in organic
matter.
- end quote -

Half inch diameter schedule 40 PVC tubing might be a better choice for
a framework than bamboo canes. Through the years I have built several
multiband VK-parasols using PVC tubing. The Oct 1984 issue of 73
descibes the VK-parasol and provides the appropriate formulas.
Old April 11th 10, 07:32 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

In article ,
John Ferrell wrote:

Bamboo is a good resource. On the other end of the scale I recall that
Post made a good Slide Rule in the 1950's from Bamboo. I still prefer
my Dietzgen though.

Yes, those were good rules... although they were actually manufactured
by Hemmi in Japan, and imported and sold here in the U.S. by Post.
The Post Versalog 1460 was one of the best (and best-known) of these
high-end 10" rules.

Dietzgen tended to use mahogany, although they did have a bamboo
version of their high-end "microglide" 1734 rule. The Dietzgen rules
were also very nice... if I recall correctly my good high-school
log-log rule was a Dietzgen.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO
Old April 11th 10, 09:20 PM posted to rec.radio.amateur.antenna

wrote:

"John Ferrell" wrote in message

.. .

I wonder if it could be cultivated in North Carolina?
John Ferrell W8CCW

I don't know about cultivated, but in the mid part of NC it will grow like
the weed it is. *If planted, you may have trouble getting rid of it.

might crowd out the kudzu ;^)

I always thought that if I got really POed at someone I would plant
kudzu and bamboo in their yard.

Jimmie